IGNORED

What Killed NJH?

Rusty

11 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I could never understand the "need to be a sponsor" to mention a product.  Members weed out the crap on their own.  If someone gets crazy spammy then ok address it. 

Anyway to make new members post a minimum amount of posts relating to the huntin, fishin, outdoors forums before being allowed to post on lounge, politics, classified, etc forums??

Some of the issues seem to be newer members becoming keyboard warriors and not contributing to the site in the preferred forums. 

Like an "earn your wings" deal!

Edited by Bonefreak

6 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Anyway to make new members post a minimum amount of posts relating to the huntin, fishin, outdoors forums before being allowed to post on lounge, politics, classified, etc forums??

Some of the issues seem to be newer members becoming keyboard warriors and not contributing to the site in the preferred forums. 

Like an "earn your wings" deal!

I agree with you- however, I think a lot of people only see what they want to see. For example, a few weeks ago I got called out for being one of the people you just described. I took it to PM and gladly pointed out all the times I have helped members and gave advice on fly fishing, hunting, trips, ect. I prefer PM when talking directly to people. 

To the persons credit, they apologized. So I would say, before we judge, maybe check into it. Also, whats the point of having the lounge if you dont want people using it? Most those that complain on here- usually do so because people have a difference of opinions. Thats what makes this country great, and that is what makes a forum great. 

33 minutes ago, NJ Predator said:

I feel it was the Rage broadhead debates killed the site. Also, the weekend warriors.

RAGE :rofl: you can’t be serious 

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

For me it was the constant ridicule over everything posted.

If a group there didn’t agree with you or you asked a question and they didn’t agree with you or thought it a stupid question WOW the responses and NASTY COMMENTS and dog piling on! Completely uncalled for.

Also anyone that posted about a club or land to lease the negative comments and opinions were horrible.

I haven’t logged in there in a long while and had no plans to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, SlugsnArrows said:

For me it was the constant ridicule over everything posted.

If a group there didn’t agree with you or you asked a question and they didn’t agree with you or thought it a stupid question WOW the responses and NASTY COMMENTS and dog piling on! Completely uncalled for.

Also anyone that posted about a club or land to lease the negative comments and opinions were horrible.

I haven’t logged in there in a long while and had no plans to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a very common pattern. I saw posters just get blazed over everything.  Who the heck wants to post on a site where that happens?

I can tell you how NJH died.  I've been closely following it since NJWW hit the Internet.

NJWW started because Matt was pissed off that he didn't get to buy NJH and felt slighted over it.  So in protest, he started NJWW.  He announced it to some folks and a few of us registered.  When OSOKILL started banning people, that's when the scales started to tip.  I was one of the folks who got a lifetime ban.  For trolling.  I was mostly trolling OSOKILL with facts, but hey, when progressives are faced with facts the censor people.  But it was the banning and the fact that an alternative was available was what killed NJH.

I am teaching my classes this semester a few things about business.  One of the most important if not THE most important thing about a business is customer service.  People have to feel that they are getting something of value from you in order for them to continue being your customer.  When they don't feel like they're getting anything of value they will seek out alternatives in the marketplace.  Business 101.  If you look on NJH or on this site for my historical posts, you'll see that I was saying this years ago right around the time Matt started the site.  It's a normal thing that most people will do.  If you get shit service, you ain't going back.  If you get great service, you may pay more/travel further/etc., but you'll go back because it's a good experience.

But there's more to it than just that.  People are creatures of habit.  Many folks, several who are regular posters here, referred to NJWW as "the snoozer site" refusing to post here.  Even as bad as NJH was, they still had a larger audience than NJWW, and folks didn't want to come over here.  One of the major reasons for staying over at NJH were post counts and historical posts.  There are things known as "switching costs" that prevent people from moving from one company to another.  Those were the things that people would lose if they came here.  So most people remained on NJH for those reasons.  That created a pretty tight audience.

But there were three events that tipped the favor to NJWW:

1. Ms. Grit getting banned.  This event made everyone on NJH question OSOKILL and his actions.  In the beginning most people tolerated it, but you don't mess with Ms. Grit.  He did.  After that, Ms. Grit said she was never coming back to NJH, and I don't think she has.
  2. When Jack got banned.  I was already banned at this point so I have no idea why Jack was initially banned.  But this was a major event that brought a lot of folks over to NJWW.  As we all know, Jack never shuts up.  Ever.  In the world of forums, this isn't a bad thing.  Let's give some credit where credit is due:  Jack posts a lot.  Jack posts a lot of hunting shit.  Jack loves talking about all kinds of hunting shit.  Jack likes to stir the pot and get people talking.  Jack never shuts up.  So when Jack left NJH vowing never to go back, NJH lost a significant poster who people liked interacting with.
  3. NJWW First Annual Christmas Party.  These forums are largely social but rarely in-person.  When folks came out to NJWW's Christmas Party at Pub 199, a tradition that was a NJH tradition, it made the difference.  People could match screen names with faces, laugh, trade stories, and really bond with one another.  I know personally that after I attended that event, there are at least 15 guys on this site that I know personally and see in-person a few times a year.  Now the NJWW Christmas Party is a solid annual tradition.  New faces, same faces, always a lot of laughter.  We get folks traveling 3 hours one-way to attend.  It takes the "social" aspect of the site and makes it Pro Staff (heh...).

There are other events along the way that made a difference.  Jay getting banned, creating a new account, spamming the site, getting banned again, rinse repeat until they blocked his IP address.  Just another log on the fire of bad customer service.  I don't think anyone was immune to the crappy treatment the site admins dished out.

So here we are.  The "snoozer site".  NJWW.  It is the culmination of the contributions of everyone on this site.  Some better than others, but this site is good because of the people posting here.  You may not agree with all of it and may be annoyed by some of it.  But such is life.  We are a diverse community and our mods have the thankless job of deciding what stays and what goes.  They will never satisfy everyone, and that shouldn't be what they're measured against.  They must used a balanced approach to keep us all in line, and they'll never do it right.  But they do it, and for the most part it's working.  That's what will keep this site going and prevent it from becoming like NJH.

My $0.02.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.