IGNORED

Texas school shooting…

A step in the right direction would be these out of touch, clueless, anti-gun democrats understanding that the overwhelming majority of gun owners want to carry for the sake of their safety AND others. I emphasize others. The overwhelming majority of gun owners aren't touting the NRA and waiting for a zombie apocalypse to go full Rambo. They are clueless to the fact if chit hit the fan, the last thing someone is going to ask you is if you are pro or anti-gun; they're going to intervene and stop a threat regardless of who you are, plain and simple. 

If these morons made that much click, we might make some progress. 

Gun laws only effect the law abiding citizens. How many laws do we have that are broken every day and there are no consequences when you break them? 
First off how many people in general are protected by armed guards? President, congressman, celebrities, speeding events, etc? 
Children 0!

Why doesn’t every school any age public and private have a locked door leading into a vestibule that your now locked in before you have to identify yourself and the reason for your visit? Show ID that can be quickly scanned before you can enter. Why can’t Every school using OUR school tax dollars or tuition fees have a paid armed LEO at this entrance? 
What about red flags? How many times are there so many red flags after this happens that no one reported? Maybe someone should be held accountable as well for not reporting? They have no problem admitting it after the fact for their 2 minutes of fame. 
Criminals and Psychos will always find a black market to get their weapon. As far as gun laws I wouldn’t mind one federal law applied to every state. NYC has ridiculous laws but I could go right into another state and purchase a gun and carry it over? 
NYC, Chicago, Detroit, California have the toughest gun laws yet probably have the highest crime? Why? Cause there really isn’t any consequences when you get caught breaking the law. 

90% of the country wants universal background checks. Not sure how effective that would be unless it included searches into social media accounts. This nut case had postings before this horrible mass murder that should have been enough to exclude him from buying a gun. Most of these mentally ill people are posting hate for months or years before purchasing the weapons they use in these horrific crimes. IMO universal background checks with social media being part of the background check would save many lives. I know many will say slippery slope when it comes to social media as what would be the standard to disqualify someone. Mentally ill people would never be able to just post they hate so and so or wish bad luck on so and so without mentioning some type of harm/death, etc. I think it would be pretty obvious on who to disqualify.

58 minutes ago, Livesintrees said:

Once the final bell rings and school starts for the day, there should be one way in and one way out. And that one way, should be locked at all times. And if we can send money all over the world to help other countries in addition to how quickly we funded schools for covid…..we can surely fortify a school entrance. 

Definitely, what ever else happens, schools need to be heavily fortified, with at least one officer on patrol.

Just now, njdoxie said:

Definitely, what ever else happens, schools need to be heavily fortified, with at least one officer on patrol.

This is a bandaid and not a root cause fix.  Why wasn't these shooting an issue in the 60s 70s or even 80s.  Somthing has broken in society and the only way to stop these is to figure out and fix what broke

If this guy went whack with a knife would there be a discussion to ban knives? Would the Democrats jump way ahead of their horses and call for control.These kids are not even buried yet and they are quick to show the hand that they are playing. It is disgusting. Our founders are rolling in their graves.

What I see today are people who look the other way rather than get involved when someone turns sour and threatens to create havoc.  Now just today we get this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-says-second-amendment-not-absolute-at-police-executive-order-signing/ar-AAXJ5c4

I don't know what the solution is, and I don't think anyone really does. All I know is it's extremely sad, senseless, horrific, etc. I don't know the exact stats, but I feel like this sort of thing happens more in this country than any other. Something has to be done, we owe it to the millions of defenseless children is this country. 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun.  These mental cases will always be able to get a firearm, and imposing more gun laws will only restrict the sane and law abiding.

Long bows?

4 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

How would the kids get out to get high in the woods behind the football field? Silly question, but freedom to come and go is a key part of education. I went to HS with an open campus. It helped make most of us adults, whether that meant knowing how to have a drink and come back to a professional setting or learning at 15 that it makes no sense to do that. It's better than learning at 45. Schools should not be locked down. Prisons should be.

17 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

Why doesn’t every school any age public and private have a locked door leading into a vestibule that your now locked in before you have to identify yourself and the reason for your visit? Show ID that can be quickly scanned before you can enter. Why can’t Every school using OUR school tax dollars or tuition fees have a paid armed LEO at this entrance? 

Because it's a school, not a jail

I understand where some are coming from thinking social media should be part of a background check, but there is less than 0% chance of that happening. Just look at our on site. How many of us use our real names? Is it even as many as 1 in a 100? There would be no way to know. Same even goes for Facebook where people use different names all the time for a variety of reasons. I look at myself and think that since the Internet started, I have been active at times on five different hunting and fishing forums or more plus Facebook. It would take someone six or 10 days of continuous reading to check all of my social media posts. Because all they have to do is miss one post where someone says something that is a warning that they are unstable and then it will be their (NICS) butts in a sling for missing it.  

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

In my opinion the answer has nothing to do with gun controll.  We need to look outside of that and start with getting back to accountability and respect for authority.   There are kids who don't even respect or listen to there parents, let alone fear the police.  This I believe will give a great shove in the right direction than tackle mental illness like it once was in this country where society as a whole didn't bare the burden .

Or maybe we work to root out the causes of mental illness. That's impossible, in its totality, but somehow we live in the wealthiest nation on earth and yet so many citizens are alienated beasts. I look at Hunterdon County and I see so many screwed up kids (not saying all...so many cool ones too) and I wonder, "How can you be so alienated when you have everything? $$, open space, cars, sports programs out the wazoo, guidance counselors, every electronic possible, pretty much zero crime beyond drunk driving, a beautiful landscape, hunting and fishing a bike ride away"   I guess they don't have love and attention at home.  We've lost our moral compass. 

12 hours ago, Nomad said:

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun.  These mental cases will always be able to get a firearm, and imposing more gun laws will only restrict the sane and law abiding.

Exactly

11 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

We spent millions and millions towards covid in school systems, most not even spent.  Yet every time we ask for more security and cops in our schools the response is it cost too much. Those 18 lives were worth more than any school administration can understand 

Most of the anti-gun Dems I know don't bat an eye at the money aspect of putting cops in schools,  they literally scoff at the idea that the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun.  I've been told multiple times that "more guns isn't the answer."  Keep in mind these are same folks who also support protecting politicians with guns and protecting the children of politicians with guns.  As a libertarian,  it seems like it must be exhausting to keep all the hypocritical points of view straight if you're a Democrat

Edited by not on the rug