IGNORED

Texas school shooting…

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun.  These mental cases will always be able to get a firearm, and imposing more gun laws will only restrict the sane and law abiding.

Yep. If we focus on the gun control aspect, and miss the real solution, this stuff will continue. So lets ban "assault weapons" but not harden the school. The next guy grabs a shotgun loaded with 3 inch OO buck shot. 5 rounds, 12 pellets the size of a 9mm bullet in each round, at close range. The scene in that classroom would have been even more grotesque, if you can imagine that. So then we ban the shotguns and buckshot. 

NJ actually does a pretty good job of school security. The SLEO 3 program is pretty good, but a few schools have done even more. One I'm familiar with is in Cumberland County. The School safety officers are not SRO's, or SLEO 3's, they are school board employees, part-timers, all retired and open carry in uniform, duty belt with level 3 holsters. The program is run by a retired NJSP Captain who uses his contacts to get some pretty good training for the men and women who work there. They also have the first K9 trained to attack the sound of gunfire and smell of gunpowder. She a Dutch Shepard, her name is Meadow, named for Meadow Pollack, the girl killed in Parkland. Her father is a very big advocate of this new K9 program, but I think only one other school in the country has added a specially trained K9 in the school. 

The school has one entry point, controlled by the desk officer, into a sally port. During school hours, there are 6 officers present, including the K9 officer, 8 at high activity times like bus arrivals and departures when other doors are open. It's no joke, but not intimidating to the students either, but I promise you nothing like what happened in Texas yesterday could happen there. Someone may try, but there is no way they could get into a classroom with students. It would literally take a trained tactical team to do it. Overkill?? Maybe, but maybe only overkill until it isn't, like yesterday, in Texas. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

9 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

Definitely, what ever else happens, schools need to be heavily fortified, with at least one officer on patrol.

So only kids lives matter? You think there should be an officer at the supermarket when I want to shop also? I mean 10 days earlier it was a supermarket and not a school. A couple of these school shootings in last 5 years had armed guards/retired cops and it did not stop the shooter. Look at where some of the worst school shootings happened. Texas and Florida. Both states that are pretty easy to purchase a weapon. That is why my earlier post about universal background imo could be a good starting point. To Vito's pov I agree also. We stopped caring about mental illness a good 3 decades ago and this is the result. We need to address root causes and adopt something like the universal background with social media and these 21 people would have been in class today. It will not stop all incidents. But it would have here and probably others if memory serves me of reporting on other mass shootings. One thing we can not do is not do anything. As MG points out spending money on security guards (bandaid that does nothing to solve the issue imo) should be worth saving 18 lives. Well waiting a couple more days to purchase a firearm through a universal background check should be worth saving 18 lives also. 

11 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I understand where some are coming from thinking social media should be part of a background check, but there is less than 0% chance of that happening. Just look at our on site. How many of us use our real names? Is it even as many as 1 in a 100? There would be no way to know. Same even goes for Facebook where people use different names all the time for a variety of reasons. I look at myself and think that since the Internet started, I have been active at times on five different hunting and fishing forums or more plus Facebook. It would take someone six or 10 days of continuous reading to check all of my social media posts. Because all they have to do is miss one post where someone says something that is a warning that they are unstable and then it will be their (NICS) butts in a sling for missing it.  

I think you are wrong. I think they have software that they could run with key words that would scan posts in no time. No need for someone to scour your posts. Just a person to read posts the key word pulls out. Again there is no fix to prevent all incidents. But doing something will prevent some incidents. 

As a society, we took a major turn in our approach to the mentally ill. Instead of being remanded to state hospitals, patients are drugged up with meds and left to their own largely. Compliance in taking those meds is often severely lacking if present at all. 

14 minutes ago, deadonshot2 said:

So only kids lives matter? You think there should be an officer at the supermarket when I want to shop also? I mean 10 days earlier it was a supermarket and not a school. A couple of these school shootings in last 5 years had armed guards/retired cops and it did not stop the shooter. Look at where some of the worst school shootings happened. Texas and Florida. Both states that are pretty easy to purchase a weapon. That is why my earlier post about universal background imo could be a good starting point. To Vito's pov I agree also. We stopped caring about mental illness a good 3 decades ago and this is the result. We need to address root causes and adopt something like the universal background with social media and these 21 people would have been in class today. It will not stop all incidents. But it would have here and probably others if memory serves me of reporting on other mass shootings. One thing we can not do is not do anything. As MG points out spending money on security guards (bandaid that does nothing to solve the issue imo) should be worth saving 18 lives. Well waiting a couple more days to purchase a firearm through a universal background check should be worth saving 18 lives also. 

Texas Arizona Florida all have back ground checks already.  Universal back ground checks is a ruse to not admit the failures of interstate reporting of crimes and offenses.   When buying a fire arm from a dealer in these states the only exception is if you have a ccw you don't need the nics check.  

So the big commotion has been buying a gun from a private party with no check wich is true but most of these recent shooters are getting their guns from lisenced dealers and passing checks

The simple, sad reality with armed security in schools is Board of Educations and municipal governments don't want to spend the money. That is a fact, not opinion. How much did our government  send to Ukraine ? Take care of here first

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

Should be a cop stationed inside every school during school hours, with one job, protect the students.

Is that not already pretty much the standard?  Doctor patient privileged needs to change when it comes to mental illness. There needs to me a data base to track mental illness that can be accessed when background searches are done for purchasing firearms. JUST MY OPINION!!~

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

2 minutes ago, bushden said:

Is that not already pretty much the standard?  Doctor patient privileged needs to change when it comes to mental illness. There needs to me a data base to track mental illness that can be accessed when background searches are done for purchasing firearms. JUST MY OPINION!!~

We have armed retired police in our school in my town.

Just now, Nomad said:

We have armed retired police in our school in my town.

I am in Hamilton and we also have armed ACTIVE POLICE in our schools.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL