IGNORED

Cold weather gear for long sits in stand......the best (IN MY OPINION)

nmc02

Good info, but I will adamantly disagree on the base later. Patagonia Capilenes are the warmest and best moisture wicking material made. Also they come in multiple weights up to expedition weight. Pricey but worth every penny and stay the same as you bought them after hundreds of washings. Wool has always been a great option but there are better alternatives today…. It’s called evolution 😁 

AWM

1 hour ago, Lphunsjr said:

My feet are ALWAYS cold, no matter what I do. The rest is great info and much appreciated

get the Icebreaker bootie .    http://www.icebreakerinc.com/bootblanket.php      put a few handwarmers in there . I usually take off my boots and put a pair of slippers in there. Especially if im sitting all day.   Trust me its sounds like a lot but my feet never get cold anymore..... 

3 hours ago, nmc02 said:

I don't intend on sounding like a know it all, but in my opinion....these cold weather products are the BEST out there. Furthermore, I wasted lots of money in the past buying crap or products that I simply  did not find to be the best. I recently talked to a friend on here and was discussing this topic. In my experience, you need to spend the money on gear that works and is durable. I have gear that is 10 plus years old and is like new after using it often

Base layer (Next to skin): IT MUST BE MERINO WOOL. I like only two.....smartwool (smartwool.com) or Icebreaker (icebreaker.com) 200-250 gram.  I prefer icebreaker because it is more comfortable against the skin for me.

Mid layer: I use only one brand....Woolpower (woolpowerus.com). It has to be pretty cold for me to use a mid layer. The mid layer should be 400 gram or 600 gram. I seldom use 600 gram, as it adds bulk and it needs to be below 20 degrees. I use bottoms, tops, and sometimes a vest; depending on temps. This can be purchased here: www.winteroutfitters.com

Outer layer: If you do not have a problem with synthetic fabrics....SITKA GEAR can't be beat!! When I gun hunt, normally wear the Incinerator bib/jacket. Pros: WARM, waterproof, durable, and comfortable (like laying in a down sleeping bag). Cons: Expensive, runs a little small, not super quiet. If you want natural fabrics....King of the Mountain Wool (kingofthemountain.com) is top notch! It is made to order. Look at the standmaster model. As for bow hunting, I prefer the Sitka Fanatic jacket/bib. It is quieter, but not waterproof. 

Sock: smart wool socks are great. 

Boots: I wear rubber boots to around 25 degrees with the Grabber M/L insole foot warmers (www.warmers.com). My feet rarely get cold above 20 degrees. IF colder than 20, I like the cabelas Inferno pac boots (cabelas.com) or the Baffin Icebear boot (www.baffin.com). I recently tried the BAMA sockkets, but my feet are too wide and most rubber boots aren't made wide. I think they will work well with someone with average foot width.  They are designed to absorb sweat and seem like a great product.

Hands: I seldom wear gloves and find a hand muff with hand warmers can't be beat!

Some of the biggest variables are how far are you walking to your stand?????? If a long walk that will result in sweating.......DO NOT wear a jacket, hat, or have foot warmers in boot. Best bet is to put jacket, etc on at the base of tree. 

In conclusion, I AM ALL EARS and want to hear what you guys think or know from your experiences. Hopefully this will help some of you. All I can say is that I am NEVER cold when I use the above listed products. Look forward to hearing others advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good info Nick !!!   Im ready to test out some of these Ice fishing  !!!!   I will do the cooking  LOL   

COLD FEET SUCK! 

I found these electric socks on amazon after checking all the ratings on different outdoor, skiing, hunting sites. For the price…around $70 they were the highest ranked. And let me tell you, i have never had cold feet again. Ive worn them ice fishing and hunting,  in weather as cold as -10. Never had a single issue! They are rechargeable, washable, one charge lasts for a full day, and they have three heat settings. And to me what is almost as important as heat…they stay up over your calves no matter how much moving you do. I used to load up layers of socks, tried the best wool, etc, and had to wear heavy cabelas  inferno boots. Now i literally can wear these and my midweight  mucks all winter.

my opinion….the best there is.

89CDAD0E-71A3-4490-AD82-4DA37929DBE3.jpeg

0FE7BB88-09AC-4C7B-97CC-A8879AF39B27.jpeg

If it’s below 20 I use the heavier Wooltimate stand hunter series .

doesn’t need any additional layers , but I do wear a wind challenger polar fleece vest.

once it goes above 20 on those cold days I take off the jacket and just use a Wooltimate wind sheer sweatshirt and the stand hunter bibs ..

Arctic  ice boots and a pair of wick dry socks .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I use merino wool of different weights on my first 2 layers. Lightweight against the body and a medium or expedition weight over it. I use different brands of Merino (Sitka, First Lite, Justin Charles).
Socks: kenetrek liners under Farm to Feet (Cedar Falls extra heavyweight).
Mid layer: Sitka kelvin lightweight vest
Outer layer depends on how cold it is. Sitka Incinerator Or Fanatic jacket and bibs. Or the old stand by: cabelas MTO50 coverall.
Accessories: Sitka light gloves with thumb and forefinger exposed. I use either the Sitka or MTO50 handwarmer muff with 2 chemical warmers inside. Headgear: Sitka fanatic beanie, or if it’s bitter out, the First Lite Facemask.
Boots: Baffin Apex..... wait for warmer weather to find good sale
Boot suit boot blankets occasionally

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have Filson, King of the Mountain, Ravin wear just to name a few. For these top brands in Sheap land nothing finer for long sits or if you get wet, Wool just might save your life. For the layering system I just bought the Sitka complete system. I will say, I have never hunted with such a fine garment. Yes you’ll pay 2Gs for everything, but most of us invest that in 1 gun, or bow, Hell I know some idiots that spend that baiting deer. Sitka now and never going back. It’s that good!

I have Filson, King of the Mountain, Ravin wear just to name a few. For these top brands in Sheap land nothing finer for long sits or if you get wet, Wool just might save your life. For the layering system I just bought the Sitka complete system. I will say, I have never hunted with such a fine garment. Yes you’ll pay 2Gs for everything, but most of us invest that in 1 gun, or bow, Hell I know some idiots that spend that baiting deer. Sitka now and never going back. It’s that good!

I have to agree. I’ve never regretted purchasing quality gear. If you can swing it, swing it. Look for sales and pick up an item here and there. I am shocked how well my gear has held up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk