IGNORED

Cold weather gear for long sits in stand......the best (IN MY OPINION)

nmc02

On 11/4/2021 at 11:30 AM, Lphunsjr said:

My feet are ALWAYS cold, no matter what I do. The rest is great info and much appreciated

I have the same problem. Key is dryness.

I bought a scent free foot powder i put on in the morning after i shower and before i put my socks on at the site to get dressed. This has helped monumentally. Then jsut keep moving our toes in your boots all day. 

This has me thinking back to when I started hunting. You wore green rubber boots the ones with the yellow laces. White cotton long johns. Two pair of socks. A cotton sweatshirt and a flannel over top. Man I froze my ass off.

So true. I remember freezing my ass off in my younger years. My feet would sweat on the way in and it would all go downhill from there. Cotton is not your friend! I would have so many layers on, I couldn’t move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/4/2021 at 9:37 AM, nmc02 said:

I don't intend on sounding like a know it all, but in my opinion....these cold weather products are the BEST out there. Furthermore, I wasted lots of money in the past buying crap or products that I simply  did not find to be the best. I recently talked to a friend on here and was discussing this topic. In my experience, you need to spend the money on gear that works and is durable. I have gear that is 10 plus years old and is like new after using it often

Base layer (Next to skin): IT MUST BE MERINO WOOL. I like only two.....smartwool (smartwool.com) or Icebreaker (icebreaker.com) 200-250 gram.  I prefer icebreaker because it is more comfortable against the skin for me.

Mid layer: I use only one brand....Woolpower (woolpowerus.com). It has to be pretty cold for me to use a mid layer. The mid layer should be 400 gram or 600 gram. I seldom use 600 gram, as it adds bulk and it needs to be below 20 degrees. I use bottoms, tops, and sometimes a vest; depending on temps. This can be purchased here: www.winteroutfitters.com

Outer layer: If you do not have a problem with synthetic fabrics....SITKA GEAR can't be beat!! When I gun hunt, normally wear the Incinerator bib/jacket. Pros: WARM, waterproof, durable, and comfortable (like laying in a down sleeping bag). Cons: Expensive, runs a little small, not super quiet. If you want natural fabrics....King of the Mountain Wool (kingofthemountain.com) is top notch! It is made to order. Look at the standmaster model. As for bow hunting, I prefer the Sitka Fanatic jacket/bib. It is quieter, but not waterproof. 

Sock: smart wool socks are great. 

Boots: I wear rubber boots to around 25 degrees with the Grabber M/L insole foot warmers (www.warmers.com). My feet rarely get cold above 20 degrees. IF colder than 20, I like the cabelas Inferno pac boots (cabelas.com) or the Baffin Icebear boot (www.baffin.com). I recently tried the BAMA sockkets, but my feet are too wide and most rubber boots aren't made wide. I think they will work well with someone with average foot width.  They are designed to absorb sweat and seem like a great product.

Hands: I seldom wear gloves and find a hand muff with hand warmers can't be beat!

Some of the biggest variables are how far are you walking to your stand?????? If a long walk that will result in sweating.......DO NOT wear a jacket, hat, or have foot warmers in boot. Best bet is to put jacket, etc on at the base of tree. 

In conclusion, I AM ALL EARS and want to hear what you guys think or know from your experiences. Hopefully this will help some of you. All I can say is that I am NEVER cold when I use the above listed products. Look forward to hearing others advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok , so honest question .

guys claim Sitka is the warmest stuff money can buy .

yet you need a ton of additional layers ? 

It is far from being cold weather hunting here . .

for most sits here mid weight clothes with a quality vest is all that’s needed .(as long as you keep your head and feet warm )

your list looks like your hunting in Canada .

what would stop me from buying it is having a need to layer . Stuff I wear now that isn’t necessary. I hate having the weight of anything I’m not needing carrying into the wood .

I found as I get older I want the lightest , yet warmest clothes I can buy .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

17 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

for most sits here mid weight clothes with a quality vest is all that’s needed .(as long as you keep your head and feet warm )

what would stop me from buying it is having a need to layer . Stuff I wear now that isn’t necessary. I hate having the weight of anything I’m not needing carrying into the wood .

That is the point....most times only need a light base layer. However, when you need more it isn't too bulky...as the technology improved. Thinner stuff is warmer than past garments twice as thick. I probably will never buy anything other than sitka. Only place sitka lacks IMO is dedicated rainwear. The downpour is ok. Kuiu makes the best rainwear. BTW, too warm on days like today to wear incinerator or fanatic....in scentblocker fleece this afternoon 

Edited by nmc02

7 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

You are different, you feel no cold:happywave:

Wooltoimate Parka or Full body suit is warmer than Sitka. 
However, its very bulky and heavy. 
In most cases in NJ I can put on my Incinerator Sitka Jacket with one or two very light layers and be very comfortable. At the same time I am completely unrestricted in my movement and most likely more than half of the weight of Wooltimate parka with one layer. 
I agree with you, reading OPs post one would think he is talking about cold Canada hunts. If I was heading to Canada I am not sure I would leave my wooltimate clothing home.  

2 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

In most cases in NJ I can put on my Incinerator Sitka Jacket with one or two very light layers and be very comfortable. At the same time I am completely unrestricted in my movement and most likely more than half of the weight of Wooltimate parka with one layer. 
I agree with you, reading OPs post one would think he is talking about cold Canada hunts. If I was heading to Canada I am not sure I would leave my wooltimate clothing home.  

My post is about sitting all day during cold weather! 

58 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

So sounds like the fanatic is simaler to the heavier or the two Berber fleece Cabelas sold . 
I wear the lighter set until approx 45 degrees and the heavier Berber fleece down to below 20. 
after that short sits I wear wooltimate all day sits I wear wooltimate stand hunter . 

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

33 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

So sounds like the fanatic is simaler to the heavier or the two Berber fleece Cabelas sold . 
I wear the lighter set until approx 45 degrees and the heavier Berber fleece down to below 20. 
after that short sits I wear wooltimate all day sits I wear wooltimate stand hunter . 

I did not like fanatic> I have incinerator and yes its like wooltimate as far as keeping you warm but its Goose Down so its very, very light and comfortable. 

Fanatic is fleece, little heavier. 

Edited by Lunatic

6 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Sometimes we complicate things. I wear any old thermal shirt, flannel, a decent jacket, etc. Haven’t  even owned thermal pants in 25 years or more. 
Last few years I’ve noticed one simple key. A heated vest. How can you shoot dressed like the Michelin man? Wear it near your skin, for instance just over your thermal or next layer. You’ll love not carrying all sorts of stuff, it’s super light too. 
If I can I’d like to add to this. So youre on stand and need to add a layer. Especially those who use climbers or have a walk in. You may be warm and once up need to cool before putting layers on. How do you do it with a full body harness? You can’t. If you don’t cool/dry first you won’t stay warm.  You either removed top section making all sorts of movement, noise plus it’s dangerous as that harness isn’t made that way or you put it over the harness and you let warm air out a neck hole. Top it all off the darn strap complicates shooting even further. 
The answer to all that is a rock climb harness. It sits around your waist and cinches behind you allowing the strap/rope to be out of your way. 
So your settled, your vest quietly and easily goes on. Than maybe a flannel, next a jacket. All easily possible wearing that harness. It’s not in your way. 
If I could deviate just a pinch, couple other points about it to consider. 
Say the stand is icy, slippery, say you’re just tired and it’s a hour or more before daylight. 
The harness straps in front by your belly, I use a Prussic knot and adjust it so when I sit it’s tight, run it up in front of me over shoulder. I’m snug to tree. If ice made my feet slip I’d not even move. When I get up I can grab Prussic knot and tighten it so agin I’d be snug but if it was daylight it’d be under my shoulder. (Strong side btw)

Just staying warm isn’t enough, if so we could watch deer out our window. Rock climbing harnesses imo need to be hand in hand with the clothing. The heated vest work way better than any must “list”, the harness allows adding or removing clothes easy and allows the shot. Remember a rock harness was made for falling as well. 
I don’t mean to change the thread but imo it’d be best if both were changed. 
If any questions arise to the harness either pm me or start a new thread so I don’t screw this one up any further. 
Hope the op was ok with my adding to it 

Forgot to add one more thing. Figure expense. You actually won’t need all sorts of fancy clothing, not that it’s not gonna help, but someone on tight budget can upgrade all their stuff which could be cost prohibitive or just add the vest much cheaper 

I think you and I hunt in different areas.  I LOVE my electronic gear and bring enough of it into the woods with me.  However, I can't bring any heated gear with me because it will, without a doubt, fail when I need it the most.  When I am hunting in the mountains I pack in with enough gear to spend the night.  I've never had to, but we hunt in some remote areas where if you get into a jam or the weather turns south rapidly, you may not be able to get out of the woods.

For all of the electronic gear I have, I still carry matches, a Zippo lighter, and a directional compass.  I also have flint fire starter and a knife that can hack small branches off of trees.

Every year where we hunt someone inevitably gets lost in the woods and a search party is formed.  150,000 acres of pine forest, mountains, streams/rivers, swamps, and logging roads; it's easy to lose your way and get stranded.

However, for a hunt locally in NJ where you expect to be able to get to your car and home after hunting, I am sure a heated hunting vest is very appropriate and something that's very nice to have.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

some of my stands are as close as 50 feet from where i can drive my truck. I have a couple farms that i drive up drop my stuff then park. They are used to trucks on the farm. My last drag was about 30 feet . deer ran towards the field and dropped . If i backed up a little further i could have made it a 20 foot drag . I would not want to haul my batteries for a half mile but sometimes it works out well. lol Other times i use an e bike and trailer to bring my gear. I bring multiple pull up ropes and attach a heavy jacket to one. If i think its getting cold i pull it up. If not i put it in the e bike trailer before i leave no harm done with the extra weight.  As i get old i hunt smarter. 25 years ago i hunted Newfoundland and walked an average of 14 miles a day for caribou in bogs . Get older get smarter and be more comfortable