IGNORED

Cold weather gear for long sits in stand......the best (IN MY OPINION)

nmc02

5 hours ago, Njpddet said:

I have to agree. I’ve never regretted purchasing quality gear. If you can swing it, swing it. Look for sales and pick up an item here and there. I am shocked how well my gear has held up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My incinerator bib/Jacket are the first year they came out w that model (original green optifade camo pattern). It is like new and at least 10 yrs old.

6 hours ago, MPSR said:

I have Filson, King of the Mountain, Ravin wear just to name a few. For these top brands in Sheap land nothing finer for long sits or if you get wet, Wool just might save your life. For the layering system I just bought the Sitka complete system. I will say, I have never hunted with such a fine garment. Yes you’ll pay 2Gs for everything, but most of us invest that in 1 gun, or bow, Hell I know some idiots that spend that baiting deer. Sitka now and never going back. It’s that good!

could you pm me a list? I have been trying to assemble a sitka system. I have the bibs , hat, gloves 

Sitka gear is hands down the best investment I’ve made. I have Sitka for all seasons and temps. 
Incinerator jacket is awesome, but to noisy for bow hunting, therefore I wear the fanatic jacket with incinerator bibs for the cold days.  I honestly think the fanatic jacket is warmer too, and dead silent 

base layer IMO isn’t even a concern with the above outer layer ( save your $$, cause you’re gonna need it if purchasing sika gear )

My feet froze no matter what I did until I broke down and bought electric socks.  Game changer !!

12 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Sometimes we complicate things. I wear any old thermal shirt, flannel, a decent jacket, etc. Haven’t  even owned thermal pants in 25 years or more. 
Last few years I’ve noticed one simple key. A heated vest. How can you shoot dressed like the Michelin man? Wear it near your skin, for instance just over your thermal or next layer. You’ll love not carrying all sorts of stuff, it’s super light too. 
If I can I’d like to add to this. So youre on stand and need to add a layer. Especially those who use climbers or have a walk in. You may be warm and once up need to cool before putting layers on. How do you do it with a full body harness? You can’t. If you don’t cool/dry first you won’t stay warm.  You either removed top section making all sorts of movement, noise plus it’s dangerous as that harness isn’t made that way or you put it over the harness and you let warm air out a neck hole. Top it all off the darn strap complicates shooting even further. 
The answer to all that is a rock climb harness. It sits around your waist and cinches behind you allowing the strap/rope to be out of your way. 
So your settled, your vest quietly and easily goes on. Than maybe a flannel, next a jacket. All easily possible wearing that harness. It’s not in your way. 
If I could deviate just a pinch, couple other points about it to consider. 
Say the stand is icy, slippery, say you’re just tired and it’s a hour or more before daylight. 
The harness straps in front by your belly, I use a Prussic knot and adjust it so when I sit it’s tight, run it up in front of me over shoulder. I’m snug to tree. If ice made my feet slip I’d not even move. When I get up I can grab Prussic knot and tighten it so agin I’d be snug but if it was daylight it’d be under my shoulder. (Strong side btw)

Just staying warm isn’t enough, if so we could watch deer out our window. Rock climbing harnesses imo need to be hand in hand with the clothing. The heated vest work way better than any must “list”, the harness allows adding or removing clothes easy and allows the shot. Remember a rock harness was made for falling as well. 
I don’t mean to change the thread but imo it’d be best if both were changed. 
If any questions arise to the harness either pm me or start a new thread so I don’t screw this one up any further. 
Hope the op was ok with my adding to it 

Forgot to add one more thing. Figure expense. You actually won’t need all sorts of fancy clothing, not that it’s not gonna help, but someone on tight budget can upgrade all their stuff which could be cost prohibitive or just add the vest much cheaper 

You just don't understand how the new clothing is made. The high end clothing is not bulky, heavy, restrictive or requiring many heavy layer. No Michelin man. My jacket is Goose down., most likely lighter than you flannel shirt and its warm enough with only one or two, again very thin layers. I assure you its lighter than your Thermal shirt, flannel, heated vest  and heavy jacket. 

23 hours ago, tpr1921 said:

Raven Wear from Canada for stand hunting - read the reviews. It's no longer made but available from time to time on eBay and hunting sites. I purchased all of mine 2nd hand.

2.thumb.jpg.856ec5ae8b63711d504712e77949cd27.jpg5.thumb.jpg.c8fb10e3c7e8a5a1243bfdd5796245d5.jpg3.thumb.jpg.111903792177279fbe54e27e422e7539.jpg

I have two sets of Ravenwear. I was the first customer she made in the ASAT pattern for before making it a regular option in her line

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

It has taken me some time to figure out the right system as well and I have spent a lot. I vary my pieces but always Merino wool bases even underwear.  From there it’s a mix of either wool from Filson, some Sitka stuff etc. my main cold weather setup is an older raven wear set I purchased used. I don’t like rubber boots even insulated so I wear Schnee’s hunter II pack boots and the extreme pack boot when it gets colder. 

22 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Im outside I bet lots more than most guys as my job is large new construction. No heat, no windows, often no roof or light leaky roof all winter.  I understand most of the new clothes except the down. It always was in a noisy shell. I’d never wear it. You could be correct on that one but wearing enough of it as a younger guy I’d think it was impossible to be warmer than it was. I mean it’s the same feathers. Perhaps I’m wrong but I’ll pass on that particular one. Have you worn a vest? I’m betting no. It’s a game changer boys. 
Everyone that’s tried it has gone to the vest route including buying them for family. Until it’s tried I guess it’ll be an unknown. I’d say if most guys get one they’d be sold. 
Whoever is interested they’re advised 

Being outside working is a different game than sitting in a stand in extreme cold.  For years I plowed snow in an open tractor.  Thermals and car heart bibs and jacket were sufficient  and I've done 40 plus hours straight.  While movement is minimal you are still straining turning around looking moving clutches etc.  Sitting in a tree you aren't exerting that much. So you need better insulation.

20 hours ago, flukebelly said:

COLD FEET SUCK! 

I found these electric socks on amazon after checking all the ratings on different outdoor, skiing, hunting sites. For the price…around $70 they were the highest ranked. And let me tell you, i have never had cold feet again. Ive worn them ice fishing and hunting,  in weather as cold as -10. Never had a single issue! They are rechargeable, washable, one charge lasts for a full day, and they have three heat settings. And to me what is almost as important as heat…they stay up over your calves no matter how much moving you do. I used to load up layers of socks, tried the best wool, etc, and had to wear heavy cabelas  inferno boots. Now i literally can wear these and my midweight  mucks all winter.

my opinion….the best there is.

89CDAD0E-71A3-4490-AD82-4DA37929DBE3.jpeg

0FE7BB88-09AC-4C7B-97CC-A8879AF39B27.jpeg

@flukebelly -- is this it? --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8VLXHD

I just got in from a morning sit... I was only out for 3 hours and my feet STILL aren't back to normal and I've been in the car for 20 minutes and been sitting home for another 15 minutes. No matter what I try, my feet always get cold (and by cold I mean it starts getting painful before my toes go numb). Chemical hand warmers are the only things that work. I think it's time for me to try these electric warmer socks - it's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

28 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I just got in from a morning sit... I was only out for 3 hours and my feet STILL aren't back to normal and I've been in the car for 20 minutes and been sitting home for another 15 minutes. No matter what I try, my feet always get cold (and by cold I mean it starts getting painful before my toes go numb). Chemical hand warmers are the only things that work. I think it's time for me to try these electric warmer socks - it's the only thing I haven't tried yet.

Try it once thin dress socks and 2000 gram boots..  let the insulation do what it's meant to do.   The dress sock will prevent sweating and pulls moisture away from skin.

36 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Polypropelene sock liner, heaviest content wool sock you can buy (or one thin and one thick), and Toe Heaters. At the end of the day put your boots on a boot drier, especially if you are going hunting again the next day. The moisture stays in the boots unless you dry them

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 hour ago, mazzgolf said:

You may have circulation issues. No sock can cure that. There may be supplements that can help. We tried Niacin years ago but it only gives you a temporary flush of warmth. There are others on the market if you want to research. 

Use the full grabber insole warmers.....you will not get cold feet

Get the electric socks !!! 
the pair I purchased even came with a remote, so you can turn them on after you’re settled in your stand 

they also have 3 temp settings 

no brainer !!

22 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Good info, but I will adamantly disagree on the base later. Patagonia Capilenes are the warmest and best moisture wicking material made. Also they come in multiple weights up to expedition weight. Pricey but worth every penny and stay the same as you bought them after hundreds of washings. Wool has always been a great option but there are better alternatives today…. It’s called evolution 😁 

Sir, I believe you are incorrect. I will explain why. Capilene is for active movement (go to Patagonia's site.....activities listed for capilene are climbing, fishing, hiking, mtn climbing, skiing, running....all are moving sports). Merino wool is warmer in comparison when sitting. Capilene may be better when worn doing active activities (I don't think so, but another discussion). So, I will respectfully disagree. I have used capilene and merino wool as a base layer. Merino wool by far is better for inactive, sits.