IGNORED

Cold weather gear for long sits in stand......the best (IN MY OPINION)

nmc02

I don't intend on sounding like a know it all, but in my opinion....these cold weather products are the BEST out there. Furthermore, I wasted lots of money in the past buying crap or products that I simply  did not find to be the best. I recently talked to a friend on here and was discussing this topic. In my experience, you need to spend the money on gear that works and is durable. I have gear that is 10 plus years old and is like new after using it often

Base layer (Next to skin): IT MUST BE MERINO WOOL. I like only two.....smartwool (smartwool.com) or Icebreaker (icebreaker.com) 200-250 gram.  I prefer icebreaker because it is more comfortable against the skin for me.

Mid layer: I use only one brand....Woolpower (woolpowerus.com). It has to be pretty cold for me to use a mid layer. The mid layer should be 400 gram or 600 gram. I seldom use 600 gram, as it adds bulk and it needs to be below 20 degrees. I use bottoms, tops, and sometimes a vest; depending on temps. This can be purchased here: www.winteroutfitters.com

Outer layer: If you do not have a problem with synthetic fabrics....SITKA GEAR can't be beat!! When I gun hunt, normally wear the Incinerator bib/jacket. Pros: WARM, waterproof, durable, and comfortable (like laying in a down sleeping bag). Cons: Expensive, runs a little small, not super quiet. If you want natural fabrics....King of the Mountain Wool (kingofthemountain.com) is top notch! It is made to order. Look at the standmaster model. As for bow hunting, I prefer the Sitka Fanatic jacket/bib. It is quieter, but not waterproof. 

Sock: smart wool socks are great. 

Boots: I wear rubber boots to around 25 degrees with the Grabber M/L insole foot warmers (www.warmers.com). My feet rarely get cold above 20 degrees. IF colder than 20, I like the cabelas Inferno pac boots (cabelas.com) or the Baffin Icebear boot (www.baffin.com). I recently tried the BAMA sockkets, but my feet are too wide and most rubber boots aren't made wide. I think they will work well with someone with average foot width.  They are designed to absorb sweat and seem like a great product.

Hands: I seldom wear gloves and find a hand muff with hand warmers can't be beat!

Some of the biggest variables are how far are you walking to your stand?????? If a long walk that will result in sweating.......DO NOT wear a jacket, hat, or have foot warmers in boot. Best bet is to put jacket, etc on at the base of tree. 

In conclusion, I AM ALL EARS and want to hear what you guys think or know from your experiences. Hopefully this will help some of you. All I can say is that I am NEVER cold when I use the above listed products. Look forward to hearing others advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I don't intend on sounding like a know it all, but in my opinion....these cold weather products are the BEST out there. Furthermore, I wasted lots of money in the past buying crap or products that I simply  did not find to be the best. I recently talked to a friend on here and was discussing this topic. In my experience, you need to spend the money on gear that works and is durable. I have gear that is 10 plus years old and is like new after using it often

Base layer (Next to skin): IT MUST BE MERINO WOOL. I like only two.....smartwool (smartwool.com) or Icebreaker (icebreaker.com) 200-250 gram.  I prefer icebreaker because it is more comfortable against the skin for me.

Mid layer: I use only one brand....Woolpower (woolpowerus.com). It has to be pretty cold for me to use a mid layer. The mid layer should be 400 gram or 600 gram. I seldom use 600 gram, as it adds bulk and it needs to be below 20 degrees. I use bottoms, tops, and sometimes a vest; depending on temps. This can be purchased here: www.winteroutfitters.com

Outer layer: If you do not have a problem with synthetic fabrics....SITKA GEAR can't be beat!! When I gun hunt, normally wear the Incinerator bib/jacket. Pros: WARM, waterproof, durable, and comfortable (like laying in a down sleeping bag). Cons: Expensive, runs a little small, not super quiet. If you want natural fabrics....King of the Mountain Wool (kingofthemountain.com) is top notch! It is made to order. Look at the standmaster model. As for bow hunting, I prefer the Sitka Fanatic jacket/bib. It is quieter, but not waterproof. 

Boots: I wear rubber boots to around 25 degrees with the Grabber M/L insole foot warmers (www.warmers.com). My feet rarely get cold above 20 degrees. IF colder than 20, I like the cabelas Inferno pac boots (cabelas.com) or the Baffin Icebear boot (www.baffin.com). I recently tried the BAMA sockkets, but my feet are too wide and most rubber boots aren't made wide. I think they will work well with someone with average foot width.  They are designed to absorb sweat and seem like a great product.

Hands: I seldom wear gloves and find a hand muff with hand warmers can't be beat!

Some of the biggest variables are how far are you walking to your stand?????? If a long walk that will result in sweating.......DO NOT wear a jacket, hat, or have foot warmers in boot. Best bet is to put jacket, etc on at the base of tree. 

In conclusion, I AM ALL EARS and want to hear what you guys think or know from your experiences. Hopefully this will help some of you. All I can say is that I am NEVER cold when I use the above listed products. Look forward to hearing others advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great info!!  Thanks!!

40 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Like you I wear:

First layer is always merino wool. Icebreaker or KUIU

2nd Layer is Cabelas Thermal Fleece or Sitka Heavyweight(carry in)

3rd Layer is a heavy cotton pull over sweatshirt(carry in if needed)

MTO 50 Jacket & Pants or MTO 50 Coveralls

Heater BodySuit(never used in NJ)

Boots vary from Lacrosse Alpha Burlys to Saskatchewan Boots

I wear gloves and a face covering from September to February while I'm in a treestand or blind.

42 minutes ago, tpr1921 said:

Raven Wear from Canada for stand hunting - read the reviews. It's no longer made but available from time to time on eBay and hunting sites. I purchased all of mine 2nd hand.

2.thumb.jpg.856ec5ae8b63711d504712e77949cd27.jpg5.thumb.jpg.c8fb10e3c7e8a5a1243bfdd5796245d5.jpg3.thumb.jpg.111903792177279fbe54e27e422e7539.jpg

This stuff was the best. I used to talk to sue a lot. My only regret was not buying more before they retired. 

Don't like stating specific brands but a few things are certain. 

No cotton material on your feet and body

Keep your neck covered at all times. I wear a turtleneck shirt on winter hunts.

Wear a "wind blocking" layer on windy days.

No matter what you wear or how expensive it is, if you don't do these things, you can't stay warm. 

Edited by archer36

I wear as much natural material as I can.  God invented wool so animals could keep warm in cold temps, and it works well for them.

Wool does not absorb water and will keep you warm even if it is wet.

I always dress in layers and bring extra gear with me if I know I am going out into the cold for an extended period.  I agree with Merino wool as a base layer.  I have socks, pants, long-sleeve shirt, and a head covering.  It keeps the moisture off of you and is comfortable as all heck.  

Next layer is cotton.  I know people frown on this, but cotton has its place if you manage your body temp and avoid sweating.  Long-sleeve turtle-neck and jeans usually.  You can easily change the shirt in the field to get moisture off of you.

The layer over that used to be a Woolrich wool shirt until they became a woke company and no longer make wool shirts or honor their warranties.  However, a good long-sleeved wool shirt over the cotton is a must.

Outer later is again wool.  I wear my Filson bibs and jacket.  They are solid, quiet and warm.  Wool makes absolutely no noise when you are walking, unlike many of the synthetic gear.  The Filson stuff also doesn't have zippers, they have buttons instead.  Buttons don't make noise in the field either.  I find that a bib keeps you especially warm.  It takes the warmth of your legs and torso and makes that heat available in that whole area.  Regular pants and a jacket create two heat zones that don't exchange heat.  Often times I'll find myself hunting with just the bibs and the wool shirt on with the jacket in my pack.

For long sits I have a rabbit fur bomber hat that has never let my head get cold.  It's outstanding, and hunter orange.  If I am stalking I have a hunter orange hat with ear muffs if I need them.

I use fingerless gloves but also have merino wool glove liners.  The gloves have the mitten flip over and I use it on occasion.  I have the Zippo hand warmer, which is epic.  I highly recommend this.  Burns all day long and keeps your hands warm.

I have two sets of boots I wear.  I use insulated rubber boots for stalks and have layers on underneath.  Merino wool socks, cotton socks, and heavy wool socks.  For sits I have giant moon boots that I found in the Cabelas discount cave.  They were still expensive, but they are the warmest boots I've ever owned.  They have a wool bootie that you put on and then put the boot on.

As you can see, I am a big fan of wool because it's natural, it's nature tested-and-approved, and IMHO is one of the best insulators out there. 

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.