IGNORED

Cold weather gear for long sits in stand......the best (IN MY OPINION)

nmc02

4 hours ago, nmc02 said:

Sir, I believe you are incorrect. I will explain why. Capilene is for active movement (go to Patagonia's site.....activities listed for capilene are climbing, fishing, hiking, mtn climbing, skiing, running....all are moving sports). Merino wool is warmer in comparison when sitting. Capilene may be better when worn doing active activities (I don't think so, but another discussion). So, I will respectfully disagree. I have used capilene and merino wool as a base layer. Merino wool by far is better for inactive, sits.

Warmth and active movement are two different things. Capilene is the best moisture wicking garment bar none, so when you stop you remain dry which equals warmth. The heaviest, warmest clothing does nothing if moisture is against the body. Capilene was originally developed for expeditions in extreme cold. That is the true test of base layers. High activity moisture removal from skin so warmth can be obtained when sitting idle. Mt. Everest is a nasty place that takes days to reach the summit. 90% of those crazy dudes that embark on the journey use patagonia base layers. So we will have to agree to disagree😁

AWM

5 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Try it once thin dress socks and 2000 gram boots..  let the insulation do what it's meant to do.   The dress sock will prevent sweating and pulls moisture away from skin.

There's a good logic to this. It's like sleeping in a great sleeping bag with a thin shirt, letting bag do it's job. Why not try also thin Smartwool socks instead of dress socks? 

On 11/4/2021 at 11:58 AM, Haskell_Hunter said:

I wear as much natural material as I can.  God invented wool so animals could keep warm in cold temps, and it works well for them.

Wool does not absorb water and will keep you warm even if it is wet.

I always dress in layers and bring extra gear with me if I know I am going out into the cold for an extended period.  I agree with Merino wool as a base layer.  I have socks, pants, long-sleeve shirt, and a head covering.  It keeps the moisture off of you and is comfortable as all heck.  

Next layer is cotton.  I know people frown on this, but cotton has its place if you manage your body temp and avoid sweating.  Long-sleeve turtle-neck and jeans usually.  You can easily change the shirt in the field to get moisture off of you.

The layer over that used to be a Woolrich wool shirt until they became a woke company and no longer make wool shirts or honor their warranties.  However, a good long-sleeved wool shirt over the cotton is a must.

Outer later is again wool.  I wear my Filson bibs and jacket.  They are solid, quiet and warm.  Wool makes absolutely no noise when you are walking, unlike many of the synthetic gear.  The Filson stuff also doesn't have zippers, they have buttons instead.  Buttons don't make noise in the field either.  I find that a bib keeps you especially warm.  It takes the warmth of your legs and torso and makes that heat available in that whole area.  Regular pants and a jacket create two heat zones that don't exchange heat.  Often times I'll find myself hunting with just the bibs and the wool shirt on with the jacket in my pack.

For long sits I have a rabbit fur bomber hat that has never let my head get cold.  It's outstanding, and hunter orange.  If I am stalking I have a hunter orange hat with ear muffs if I need them.

I use fingerless gloves but also have merino wool glove liners.  The gloves have the mitten flip over and I use it on occasion.  I have the Zippo hand warmer, which is epic.  I highly recommend this.  Burns all day long and keeps your hands warm.

I have two sets of boots I wear.  I use insulated rubber boots for stalks and have layers on underneath.  Merino wool socks, cotton socks, and heavy wool socks.  For sits I have giant moon boots that I found in the Cabelas discount cave.  They were still expensive, but they are the warmest boots I've ever owned.  They have a wool bootie that you put on and then put the boot on.

As you can see, I am a big fan of wool because it's natural, it's nature tested-and-approved, and IMHO is one of the best insulators out there. 

the zippo hand warmer is great. i consider myself lucky as i dont get cold often. my feet or anything else rarely gets cold. i can go fishing in the winter with just my waders and a hoodie and im good. but when my hands start to get cold the zippo hand warmer works great. much better then the hot hands stuff you shake up.

now im getting hot just thinking about it. i love winter!

7 hours ago, FeniQuest217 said:

I have the same problem. Key is dryness.

I bought a scent free foot powder i put on in the morning after i shower and before i put my socks on at the site to get dressed. This has helped monumentally. Then jsut keep moving our toes in your boots all day. 

I've heard people recommend unscented spray anti perspirant to keep feet dry. I bought it years ago but forget to use it 

Edited by archer36

On 11/5/2021 at 7:32 PM, archer36 said:

I've heard people recommend unscented spray anti perspirant to keep feet dry. I bought it years ago but forget to use it 

Idk - ive never been a fan of spray deoderant but maybe theyre onto something. I just know that the food powder for me as worked well......and of course merino wool ski/hunting socks

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 3:41 PM, MGHunter66 said:

Warmth and active movement are two different things. Capilene is the best moisture wicking garment bar none, so when you stop you remain dry which equals warmth. The heaviest, warmest clothing does nothing if moisture is against the body. Capilene was originally developed for expeditions in extreme cold. That is the true test of base layers. High activity moisture removal from skin so warmth can be obtained when sitting idle. Mt. Everest is a nasty place that takes days to reach the summit. 90% of those crazy dudes that embark on the journey use patagonia base layers. So we will have to agree to disagree😁

Do you go with Capilene Air as a base or the Capilene Thermal Weight? I've thought about buying a base of Capilene for underneath a wool mid layer but not sure which line to go with. The thermal weight looks to be about the same as the woolpower 200gm or Minus33 170gm. 

13 hours ago, newjerseyhunter said:

Do you go with Capilene Air as a base or the Capilene Thermal Weight? I've thought about buying a base of Capilene for underneath a wool mid layer but not sure which line to go with. The thermal weight looks to be about the same as the woolpower 200gm or Minus33 170gm. 

I have only used the standard capilene, not familiar with the “air”. I use midweight through November and expedition weight once it gets really cold

AWM

On 11/5/2021 at 3:02 PM, Haskell_Hunter said:

I think you and I hunt in different areas.  I LOVE my electronic gear and bring enough of it into the woods with me.  However, I can't bring any heated gear with me because it will, without a doubt, fail when I need it the most.  When I am hunting in the mountains I pack in with enough gear to spend the night.  I've never had to, but we hunt in some remote areas where if you get into a jam or the weather turns south rapidly, you may not be able to get out of the woods.

For all of the electronic gear I have, I still carry matches, a Zippo lighter, and a directional compass.  I also have flint fire starter and a knife that can hack small branches off of trees.

Every year where we hunt someone inevitably gets lost in the woods and a search party is formed.  150,000 acres of pine forest, mountains, streams/rivers, swamps, and logging roads; it's easy to lose your way and get stranded.

However, for a hunt locally in NJ where you expect to be able to get to your car and home after hunting, I am sure a heated hunting vest is very appropriate and something that's very nice to have.

Not sure where you hunt in nJ but I can take you to the pinelands and there is a serious chance of getting lost . Its also very cold in the pines at night ( close to sussex county weather) 

Not many places left like it 

17 minutes ago, Slayer1962 said:

Not sure where you hunt in nJ but I can take you to the pinelands and there is a serious chance of getting lost . Its also very cold in the pines at night ( close to sussex county weather) 

Not many places left like it 

A few years ago, we had a guy get lost for **3** days in "the woods" down here and to this day I still don't know how he got lost especially for that amount of time. He must have been walking in a circle, because if you just walk a half-mile straight in any direction around here you'll have to hit a road, or a house, or something!

3 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

A few years ago, we had a guy get lost for **3** days in "the woods" down here and to this day I still don't know how he got lost especially for that amount of time. He must have been walking in a circle, because if you just walk a half-mile straight in any direction around here you'll have to hit a road, or a house, or something!

Studies have proven that a person walking with no visual markers to keep an eye on, will actually walk in a large circle.