IGNORED

What's your favorite hunting and fishing store ?

With dicks and wall mart getting a beating lately by removing all their ar 15 stull plus raising the limit unconstitutional to the age of 21 to buy a long gun , it's about time to never even step foot in these places any more.

My favorite store is Andover hunt and fish. Garret is a great kid but a true businessmen some thing that is lost in today's word. Now I have bought plenty of guns and bows in the shop the kid is very knowledge along with his mother Caroline She is very knowledglle also ,

buts it's the littles that keep me coming back to that store even I live a hour away .

Example when I walk into to buy stuff with my two sons ages 12 and 9 garret gives them free tee shirts , bottles of water , candy bars customer treatment like that goes a long way to making your you get repeat customers over and over again. Cause it's a lost art you walk into other stores which I won't mention a name you ask to see a gun and you get looked at with the dirtiest look on your face.

Also if you looking for a gun that he don't have he will work tireless to get what you need. Plus his prices on crossbows has to be cheapest state wide by far. Along with his apples and corn .,

Now since all these giant chain store with idiots walking behind the counter are Turing their back on us and making up their own rules , I say it's time to spend your money at local stores.

Over and out hunterdan199

I agree. This year is the first time I have been in there while up that way ice fishing. I have been there 3 or 4 times now and agree with everything you have said. He did the same with my boys, gave them candy bars drinks etc. But what I liked the most was the thank you for shopping here I received when leaving.

Edited by mikejd

I'm a dinosaur and try to buy locally versus online for nearly everything, although even I am being slowly forced more and more online.  That said, I have Andover Hunt and Fish, Simon Peter, Ramsey Outdoor (Succasunna), Tightlines Fly Shop, and Shannon's Fly Shop all within less than 20 - 25 minutes, so they all get some of my business.  I love Garrett's shop and agree that his customer service skills as well as the others (including his mom whom I used to ski with competitively) in the store are exemplary.  His enthusiasm for hunting and fishing is infectious when you are in there talking to him.  He gives me great hope at his young age for the future of at least some of the mom and pop stores we have all grown up with.

In my youth, it was stores like Sportsmen's Den, Ramsey Outdoors (Ledgewood or Ramsey), Metzler's, etc. that got me excited when dad said, "hop in the car, we're going to the hunting and fishing store today".  I still take a trip or two to Dunkelberger's over in PA each year as that shop is also fairly close by.      

My favorite fishing store is a small shed converted into a bait store for fishing needs they are 3 miles from me in highpoint on the NY side in Greenville Kaceys kastaways 24 hour store I get herring at 2 am sometimes always pleasant very kind woman. It is really cool she has a petting zoo for the kids and a stocked catch and release bass pond with hogs in it for anyone that just wants to catch a few fish quick before hitting your primary spot. Hunting I use mountain mikes been friends since little kids.

It’s tough to say because I have patronized most of them in the north. That being said I guess I would have to say Tackle & Field in Ringwood (formally Franks tackle) and Davis Sport shop in Sloatsburg NY are tied for first. However I generally go with Dino at Garden State Bow & reel for archery related stuff.

I wish some of the old times stores were still in business such as Paterson Rod and Gun when it was on West Broadway in Paterson then later in Hawthorne. (BTW the Paterson Rod and Gun on Market Street in Paterson was somebody illegally using the PR&G name.)

I've tried being loyal to a couple shops down this way over the years and it's not worth the time,  doesn't matter if it's for a gun or bow purchase. I check prices from several shops when I'm looking for something specific and go from there. One guy around here always has a excuse when you try and get a price on a gun, and takes forever sometimes. He also will have a comment on how bad this or that is when it's something your looking for.  There's a shop in NH we stop at when we go through on our way to Maine to deer hunt, and the one time I bought a rifle there I was given two boxes of ammo with that purchase. Never had anything like that here in NJ, not even something off if you were a repeat customer.

Edited by Silver Belly62

He also will have a comment on how bad this or that is when it's something your looking for.

Sometimes I think being a "know-it-all" is a qualification for the job of working behind a gun sales counter.

Edited by 230jhp