IGNORED

Deer Driving Debate

BowhunterNJ

I don’t hunt much in NJ these days for deer but in PA I stand hunt during archery and rifle but we also organize drives.  Never had an issue with safety as we reviewed that religiously.  We did what ever we had to do to get deer moving so we had the best chance at the end of the year to fill freezers.  

in PA we are hunting bug woods though as well.  Can walk 8 miles and maybe hit a dirt road that sees 3 cars a day.  

to me any legal hunting is good hunting and I support the folks doing it.  

6 minutes ago, kohunter said:

Oh Stop. Drives should be illegal and everyone knows it.

And this is why the anti hunters gain ground every year because they are united but we bitch and complain when we should support any legal hunting method. 

And without the clubs alot that you see wouldn't happen.  The clubs are very active in the federation.  Alot of clubs organize wma clean ups organize youth events etc.

Do instead of condemning somthing you know little about maybe visit a well established club and see the inner workings than make an educated opinion.   Of corse there are bad actors but like anything else they don't represent the clubs as a whole

Edited by vdep217

3 hours ago, vdep217 said:

And this is why the anti hunters gain ground every year because they are united but we bitch and complain when we should support any legal hunting method. 

And without the clubs alot that you see wouldn't happen.  The clubs are very active in the federation.  Alot of clubs organize wma clean ups organize youth events etc.

Do instead of condemning somthing you know little about maybe visit a well established club and see the inner workings than make an educated opinion.   Of corse there are bad actors but like anything else they don't represent the clubs as a whole

No one is bitching or complaining, but people are allowed to offer their opinions. I’ve formed my educated opinion based on personal experience. I don’t condemn legal hunting, no reason for me do with driving deer even if I don’t agree with the methodology of it, but you’re kidding yourself if guys don’t pull moves tagging deer on others licenses so people can continue to hunt, some have gotten canned for letting deer go bad from hanging for their hero photos, seeing photos, etc people thinking they take disrespect photos with game and it’s funny. THOSE actions are what I condemn. And no it’s not everybody but the bad apples are enough to spoil the bunch. It’s why clubs have the same level of merit as antis do to the public, not much….

44 minutes ago, chenrossi said:

No one is bitching or complaining, but people are allowed to offer their opinions. I’ve formed my educated opinion based on personal experience. I don’t condemn legal hunting, no reason for me do with driving deer even if I don’t agree with the methodology of it, but you’re kidding yourself if guys don’t pull moves tagging deer on others licenses so people can continue to hunt, some have gotten canned for letting deer go bad from hanging for their hero photos, seeing photos, etc people thinking they take disrespect photos with game and it’s funny. THOSE actions are what I condemn. And no it’s not everybody but the bad apples are enough to spoil the bunch. It’s why clubs have the same level of merit as antis do to the public, not much….

I get it. I don't have much experience with thise you speak of the clubs I know are respectable and do what they can to better the sport

6 hours ago, Sotaroas said:

Hunted with a club for years miles and miles of woods definitely gained sympathy for the Beagle Breed torn up day in and day out literally bleeding for days there is a lot of planning and strategy that goes into setting up drives and most of the guys were great people and hunted hard and laughed a lot in between stand hunters most of the year but liked to change it up during six day. We pushed many deer to hunters' in stands that would have never had the opportunity to shoot some really nice bucks even if they sat all six days all day long because they came from places people don't go and most guys probably couldn't do it for six days straight it's a huge amount of work dragging deer from the middle of drive in the middle of now where no powered vehicles except for pick ups along with not every hunter was healthy enough to gut or drag deer they shot. 

Yes we shot deer that some guys were hunting because deer do travel and they will do things they normally wouldn't do when being pushed most of the property we drove was private which no one had permission to hunt legally we would do public pieces but in all honesty not until the very end of the week. During that time I saw more deer then the normal hunter would see in his lifetime along with bucks they may have never seen.I have heard it all from all types that drivers crippled deer and yes there is misfortune when driving and using buckshot it's the nature of the style of hunting along with the fact a lot of hunters just cannot shoot at moving targets in many hunting situations and during that week it's the only time some guys actually carry a gun and use it with minimal practice not the preferred practice for sure . 

As for it being safe all the years I hunted with the club and the club dated back to the 40's pictures that would blow your mind the only injuries were from knives gutting deer a possible heart attack from over exertion along with orthopedic injuries . Addressing the real problem with the safety of drives was discussed regularly most guys do not even know how far buckshot can travel especially now with these 3.5" cannons with terminator chokes forget how far it's accurate too think of the residual distance it travels if not being absorbed by bushes or trees it' sounds like screaming bees on it's way. The other problem is the topography of the land and the layout of the driver's and stander's and the fact that both are carrying loaded firearms you have to really know each other and trust each other and silent drives are dangerous unless the shooters are all elevated and that just doesn't happen with 20 - 30 guys I understand the reason guys do it  the deer aren't doing Mach 4. So yes it can be dangerous if done incorrectly and definitely not for the timid hunter  we never performed silent drives if you were too quiet you were spoken too we wore a lot of blaze orange and if anything unsafe occurred you were asked to leave the club and never to return and yes several times that occurred once with a very veteran club member .

So when I read people applying negativity to driving deer I usually shake my head and usually do not comment on it must be and age related crisis now (LOL) most of these people don't understand anything about it and have never hunted that way it's a legal form of hunting and not for everyone and yes everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not trying to bash anyone. I no longer drive deer and stand hunt public properties and have actually had deer shot very close too me on several occasions by hunters doing drives not a problem if I can't close the deal during such long seasons and they can kudos to them they deserve it especially for some guys it's the only time they get to hunt just thought I would post this up to provide some clarity on the topic. Just my take hindering any type of hunting is bad for all of us and banging heads is human nature there is no ending that Good Luck too all and enjoy the holidays stay healthy and safe !

Well said.  I would love  to see pictures of the ole days at deer camp.   

I've been on a couple invites to participate on the drives, I went on 1 or 2 , just not for me.

I enjoyed back at the cabin after a hard day,  eating and drinking with my fellow hunters more.

My limited experience with drives was a little chaos.   Some of the drivers took shots at the deer , I was told the drivers carry guns but are unloaded ( took turns between drivers and standers) and they load up on next drive when it's their turn to be the standers.   You could hear the pellets hitting the brush , trees etc. That was enough for me.

Also , I felt God awful when we drove pass hunters that where in treestands,  assuming they must of bow hunted or took time scouting , planning  etc to be in a certain spot and have it turned upside down with 25 guys driving deer.

Just my 2 cents, as long as it is legal and safety done  

Crazy the amount of opinions on clubs doing drives. There is no doubt, drives put deer on the ground.

As w any hunting, unfortunately there will be some injured deer and/or lethally hit deer that are unrecovered. This is the result of people thinking it is ok to shoot a deer at 80 yds w buckshot. Buckshot's effective range is up to 50 yds. That is it. How often do you hear guys say, "Took a 80 yard hail Mary shot." This is the only reason I frown at drives. 

Lastly, I have seen many groups of drivers enter public land at 8 in the morning, knowing there are other hunters in the area and simply do not care. Someone's hunt is ruined that got up at 4 am, got in the tree early, and bam....group of drivers walk through sometimes twice not caring they are disturbing others hunt. On the flipside, I have benefited from a drive I was not part of. I shot a big 8 that a group I was not part of, pushed to me. Public land is just that, Public land open to any style of legal hunting. I just hope everyone is respected to each style of hunting. 

Only thing I would do if I was king for a day....get rid of buckshot on drives and make it slugs only. For the most part w slugs....either you kill them or miss.

10 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Crazy the amount of opinions on clubs doing drives. There is no doubt, drives put deer on the ground.

As w any hunting, unfortunately there will be some injured deer and/or lethally hit deer that are unrecovered. This is the result of people thinking it is ok to shoot a deer at 80 yds w buckshot. Buckshot's effective range is up to 50 yds. That is it. How often do you hear guys say, "Took a 80 yard hail Mary shot." This is the only reason I frown at drives. 

Lastly, I have seen many groups of drivers enter public land at 8 in the morning, knowing there are other hunters in the area and simply do not care. Someone's hunt is ruined that got up at 4 am, got in the tree early, and bam....group of drivers walk through sometimes twice not caring they are disturbing others hunt. On the flipside, I have benefited from a drive I was not part of. I shot a big 8 that a group I was not part of, pushed to me. Public land is just that, Public land open to any style of legal hunting. I just hope everyone is respected to each style of hunting. 

Only thing I would do if I was king for a day....get rid of buckshot on drives and make it slugs only. For the most part w slugs....either you kill them or miss.

Like to see them be more selective what they shoot.

On 12/7/2023 at 9:16 AM, vdep217 said:

The problem is drives disturb hundreds, if not thousands of acres of woods with total disregard for other hunters or anyone else. 
I bet my paycheck you don’t drive anywhere near the areas you normally hunt. Why? 
You engage in disruptive to other hunters activity, something you would not tolerate yourself, and you ask to be united?  If I walked under your tree in November with 10 other hunters, yelling screaming but looking for deer would you say I need to unite with these guys? BS. Drives divide us and drives give us a black eye, helping antis in their fight against hunting. You show total disrespect for other hunters and you ask for support? It’s a hypocritical and extremely selfish stand and behavior. 

17 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I have seen many groups of drivers enter public land at 8 in the morning, knowing there are other hunters in the area and simply do not care. Someone's hunt is ruined that got up at 4 am, got in the tree early, and bam....group of drivers walk through sometimes twice not caring they are disturbing others hunt

If I had to put into words my one major complaint about deer drives, this is it ^^^. And it's not just the disrespect shown; it also isn't safe for those stand hunters either.

Let guys who want to sit have a few hours - 6-day is for everyone to enjoy, not just the clubs.

I wouldn't mind seeing an official regulation that says clubs shouldn't pile into the woods and start drives until X hours after shooting time starts, and drives should end Y hours before shooting time ends. I don't know what the specifics should be - come up with something... X=3 hours? 4 hours? Y=2 hours, 2.5 hours? Whatever. I dunno. Just give stand hunters a few hours of peace like this. This would give EVERYONE a chance in the woods.

This would only be for public land - if clubs have their own private or leased pieces, they can drive them whatever hours they want.

If that were put in place, I think that would be a good way to not only show respect to non-club hunters, it would still respect the tradition of the clubs and would also make things safer for everyone.

49 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Personally, im not in favor of drives but dont think they should be banned.  Totally agree on no more buckshot.