IGNORED

Liberty Safe giving codes to FBI

• hostak126 changed the title to Liberty Safe giving codes to FBI

I think all US companies should be required to cooperate with law enforcement agencies....as long as warrants are applied for, etc. That is the reason I will NEVER purchase an Apple product. When the terrorists bombed the Boston Marathon, Apple refused to assist the FBI with accessing a known terrorist's iphone.

18 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I think all US companies should be required to cooperate with law enforcement agencies....as long as warrants are applied for, etc. That is the reason I will NEVER purchase an Apple product. When the terrorists bombed the Boston Marathon, Apple refused to assist the FBI with accessing a known terrorist's iphone.

Wow seriously? You don’t think that would be setting an extremely dangerous precedent, especially considering how politicized the fbi and all federal law enforcement agencies have become? Probably the worst idea of all time 

13 minutes ago, WVAhunter08 said:

Wow seriously? You don’t think that would be setting an extremely dangerous precedent, especially considering how politicized the fbi and all federal law enforcement agencies have become? Probably the worst idea of all time 

Yup. Sorry, how I feel. Like I said, won't ever own an Apple product as a  result. Apple decided that a terrorist's right to privacy was more important than national security. Furthermore, Apple admitted to building phones that were programmed to have battery failures. Garbage company.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

I don’t know the whole story but if they had a search warrant and it had language written in it for any possible items of interest that could be in that safe it’s a lose lose regardless. They either get the master code by providing the search warrant document to sentry’s legal team l and get the go ahead or they will breach the safe and totally destroy it. I don’t know the back story here but if they had legal process to get in that safe they were getting in regardless. If the latter, it was going to get dismantled if they had to mechanically breach it. 

If the FBI needs to get into a safe, they have locksmiths that can crack the combo, I know because my friend does it for them and that should have been the way it was done.

If Im buying a product from a company, especially a product that provides security or protection from entry, regardless of who, what, where and the manufacturer tells someone how to defeat the product I paid for, Im done with that company period.

www.liftxrentals.com

Forget all the issues with the FBI  - did Liberty safe owners know or were told there is a "master code" that exists that can get into any Liberty safe, overriding your own combination? How secure are THOSE codes? I would have thought if I set my own combination, no one without that combination can get in there. To find out there is that combination PLUS a master code that bypasses it - well, who ELSE knows those codes? Clearly a person (or persons) at Liberty knows it. Who else does? Can Liberty be hacked and people steal those codes? Can someone else get those codes? Can those master codes be guessed (e.g. if you know how (or can find out how) the Liberty locks are made, how easy it is to guess or change these codes?).

That's what I would be worried about. Not if the government can ask Liberty for the codes if they have a warrant - but what criminals or other persons can get a hold of those codes and bypass my own combination??

Edited by mazzgolf

43 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Forget all the issues with the FBI  - did Liberty safe owners know or were told there is a "master code" that exists that can get into any Liberty safe, overriding your own combination? How secure are THOSE codes? I would have thought if I set my own combination, no one without that combination can get in there. To find out there is that combination PLUS a master code that bypasses it - well, who ELSE knows those codes? Clearly a person (or persons) at Liberty knows it. Who else does? Can Liberty be hacked and people steal those codes? Can someone else get those codes? Can those master codes be guessed (e.g. if you know how (or can find out how) the Liberty locks are made, how easy it is to guess or change these codes?).

That's what I would be worried about. Not if the government can ask Liberty for the codes if they have a warrant - but what criminals or other persons can get a hold of those codes and bypass my own combination??

An expert locksmith will get in your safe.

I've seen my friend get in safes in under an hour or 8 hours plus on more sophisticated locks.  

He can get into vaults that hold millions of dollars worth of controlled substance, he can get in your $1500 gun safe

www.liftxrentals.com

2 hours ago, nmc02 said:

Yup. Sorry, how I feel. Like I said, won't ever own an Apple product as a  result. Apple decided that a terrorist's right to privacy was more important than national security. Furthermore, Apple admitted to building phones that were programmed to have battery failures. Garbage company.

Wow, so some corrupt law enforcement officer or government cronies should be allowed access to all my personal info any time they want. Safe codes, PIN numbers, etc?

Sorry but that is Freaking Insane.

11 minutes ago, tcook8296 said:

An expert locksmith will get in your safe.

I've seen my friend get in safes in under an hour or 8 hours plus on more sophisticated locks.  

He can get into vaults that hold millions of dollars worth of controlled substance, he can get in your $1500 gun safe

Yeah, but that require some skill or training that not many people have, no?

Having a master code where someone can just type in a number or a series of button presses means anyone can steal, or buy/sell these codes and get in within seconds. I would prefer my safes at least require someone to have locksmith skills AND to have to take hour(s) to get in - not have some backdoor that allows any Joe Schmo who managed to steal or buy a code to get in within seconds.

People talk about corrupt LEOs or government officials - but what about corrupt business employees who have access to a database of master codes? It isn't just government people who are corrupt - private business employees can be, too. I can easily imagine a Liberty employee in debt or just greedy selling master codes he steals at work.

28 minutes ago, NotJust22s said:

Wow, so some corrupt law enforcement officer or government cronies should be allowed access to all my personal info any time they want. Safe codes, PIN numbers, etc?

Sorry but that is Freaking Insane.

Who said anything about corruption??

I said when things are done within the laws (warrants, etc)...no reason a company should not provide assistance to LE

2 hours ago, nmc02 said:

That’s one way to look at Apple. Another is they won’t betray their clients for any reason. Period. And sometimes those clients are bad people, but that’s the price of taking a stance on security. 

As for the battery issue, Apple didn’t program for “battery failures” as you put it, they programmed for the battery to not get fully charged over the long term so customers would upgrade. Guess what other products you buy are engineered the same way?  That’s right, 100%. Not 20%, not 74.3%, but 100%. If you want to attack Apple, go after them for where they are made.