IGNORED

The Peak of the Rut.

Rusty

11 hours ago, Costam07 said:

In certain areas its definitely on right nor was in hunterdon county Saturday and bucks where chasing everywhere as well as my buddy saw a decent 8 breeding a doe... 

Yet have camera denville and its completely opposite, just starting in that area in my opinion or from what I've seen.

Have to agree Costam07, have three cameras in zone 6 and one camera in zone 8.  Sitting either evening or morning depending on what the photos and wind say and I'm not seeing a bunch of activity yet. The number of scrapes jumped dramatically the past week but that's about it.

get off the bait and get into THICK AND NASTY - bait sites will produce tail and of rut but based on all I have been seeing from cameras and from stand - the bigger bucks are NOT going to food anymore it's all about finding the right doe.  Once you seeing your food-centric sites (bait or natural) are slowing down at THIS TIME OF YEAR, get into the heavy cover the does are hiding and the bucks are seeking... It's that simple.  This year is best classic rut action at the right time I have seen in many years. To me this "rut" is acting like what a rut should be.   (declaring it's no longer pre-rut, it's on)

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, mightyhunter said:

Just pulled an SD card yesterday and buck activity dropped way off from last week. Last week I had 7 different bucks on cam at one sight during the day.

My guess is the bigger bucks are locked down with doe and I'm hoping they will return after the deed is done lol

Is your camera set up over corn or some other bait/food?  If so, it doesn't necessarily mean that buck activity has slowed.  It could be that they are busy looking for a date to the prom and less interested in food.  Bucks run themselves ragged during the rut and lose a lot of weight.  

Edited by Rusty

2 minutes ago, Rusty said:

Is your camera set up over corn or some other bait/food?  If so, it doesn't necessarily mean that buck activity has slowed.  It could be that they are busy looking for a date to the prom and less interested in food at the time.  Bucks run themselves ragged during the rut and lose a lot of weight.  

Yes I have bait down and have does coming to it

Last week does and bucks would come morning, noon and night. Last 3-4 days not so much