IGNORED

Do crossbows wound or lose more deer?

JHbowhunter

38 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

A hunter's overconfidence in x-bow accuracy sometimes results in lost deer.

Same could be said about guys shooting 70 yards with a compound.I don't think it's overconfidence,its total disregard for what is ethical.

Agree with all of the above answers and comments. To add to it, and this coming from a crossbow hunter, a bunch of hunters are now taking their 4 year olds out to hunt, which, is great. I’m all for starting new hunters off early but, I’m not so sure that all kids this age are ready or have had enough time behind the wheel to make a good shot even though xbows are simple if someone cocks it for you, sets the kid up in a nice warm blind and does everything else involved other than pulling the trigger just to get a picture with their young kid with their 1st “kill”. Also, with the ease for a beginner to start with a crossbow and many are great shots, the woodsmanship it takes to track a deer after a marginal hit or even after a good hit can take years to develop. I was one of the lucky ones that was raised by a family of hunters and spent many seasons tracking hit deer with my dad, uncles and friends. Just my opinion and certainly not meant to piss anyone off. But, I think these factors contribute to the wounded deer numbers. I saw one guy on Facebook reporting that his 6 year old had just missed her fifth deer that season but, he reported that he was patient and the kill would come. If my kid missed 5 deer in one season, regardless whether he/she was 6 or 16, we would be going back to the drawing board before that kid pulled the trigger at a live animal again.

What I experienced in ny and nj was based on the hunter.  If the person was a true bow hunter looking to increase their range or aid in the use of equipment due to physical ailments they understand the effectiveness of the equipment.   Deer hunters looking to just get out early and kill more game for the most part didnt    I stopped hunting one farm in nj due to that fact.  2 hunters that only hunted shotgun now hunting with x bows had no qualms about 75 yd field shots.  50 plus yard shots threw thick early sept foliage.   Then they would whine about losing bolts in the field or hitting deer that didn’t find.   After several unproductive attempts to explain to them that it’s still a bow I stopped hunting that field    

9 minutes ago, fab said:

What I experienced in ny and nj was based on the hunter.  If the person was a true bow hunter looking to increase their range or aid in the use of equipment due to physical ailments they understand the effectiveness of the equipment.   Deer hunters looking to just get out early and kill more game for the most part didnt    I stopped hunting one farm in nj due to that fact.  2 hunters that only hunted shotgun now hunting with x bows had no qualms about 75 yd field shots.  50 plus yard shots threw thick early sept foliage.   Then they would whine about losing bolts in the field or hitting deer that didn’t find.   After several unproductive attempts to explain to them that it’s still a bow I stopped hunting that field    

There should be "Yikes" button in along with the rest of them.