IGNORED

Do crossbows wound or lose more deer?

JHbowhunter

The problem with crossbows is that any idiot can pick one up off the shelf and shoot with adequate accuracy out of the box.  Then some go in the woods and think its a super weapon and shoot at deer at ling distances making bad shots.  Its not the crossbow, its the idiot behind it not knowing his weapon!

6 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

The problem with crossbows is that any idiot can pick one up off the shelf and shoot with adequate accuracy out of the box.  Then some go in the woods and think its a super weapon and shoot at deer at ling distances making bad shots.  Its not the crossbow, its the idiot behind it not knowing his weapon!

I wouldn't call them idiots. Just victims of good marketing on the part of crossbow companies. 

It’s a weapon.   It’s Not a bow.   To be clear. Example.  My daughter at 11 years old cant draw 35 lbs.  but at a 22 lbs draw her groups are about 8 inches at 12 yds.  But with her x gun she has a 2.5 in group off a bench at 45 yds. 

don’t get me wrong.  I’m not anti crossbow.  But my dad taught me to shoot with a 2o lbs recurve back in 79 and then a bear white tail hunter back in 82 when I was 11. 

im glad she hunts with me. And I’m glad her uncle hunts with the cross bow in ny. But it’s the person behind the weapon that launches the Projectile

5 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I would call a person an idiot that doesnt have enough respect for the animal hes hunting not knowing his weapon.  It all falls on the shooter

Well it's the "not knowing the weapon" where the problems come in. Crossbows are faster every year. Even have range finding scopes.  For what implied reason? To be able to shoot further. I don't buy into it but other people do. I would rather say they have unreasonable expectations. But that's just me. 

Edited by archer36

4 hours ago, 06roadking said:

Agree with all of the above answers and comments. To add to it, and this coming from a crossbow hunter, a bunch of hunters are now taking their 4 year olds out to hunt, which, is great. I’m all for starting new hunters off early but, I’m not so sure that all kids this age are ready or have had enough time behind the wheel to make a good shot even though xbows are simple if someone cocks it for you, sets the kid up in a nice warm blind and does everything else involved other than pulling the trigger just to get a picture with their young kid with their 1st “kill”. Also, with the ease for a beginner to start with a crossbow and many are great shots, the woodsmanship it takes to track a deer after a marginal hit or even after a good hit can take years to develop. I was one of the lucky ones that was raised by a family of hunters and spent many seasons tracking hit deer with my dad, uncles and friends. Just my opinion and certainly not meant to piss anyone off. But, I think these factors contribute to the wounded deer numbers. I saw one guy on Facebook reporting that his 6 year old had just missed her fifth deer that season but, he reported that he was patient and the kill would come. If my kid missed 5 deer in one season, regardless whether he/she was 6 or 16, we would be going back to the drawing board before that kid pulled the trigger at a live animal again.

Unfortunately in nj the parent letting the kid shoot is in violation of nj game laws.  Other states allow it

4 hours ago, Gobblengrunt said:

I would call a person an idiot that doesnt have enough respect for the animal hes hunting not knowing his weapon.  It all falls on the shooter

Plenty of compound shooters that pick up their bow two weeks before the season, shoot half dozen arrows and are “good to go”. 

AWM

21 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Plenty of compound shooters that pick up their bow two weeks before the season, shoot half dozen arrows and are “good to go”. 

Absolutely!  I wasn’t targeting just crossbow shooters, there are slob hunters of all kinds!  But there are more “new” hunters who will pick up a crossbow a day or two before opening day, take a few shots, and think theyre are good for the season at any distance

I kinda agree, and disagree!😁

I believe there’s minimal difference between compound and crossbow proficiency due to the inherent precision of both weapons, which appears to be what the studies show, although I also believe there’s very limited data available, (other then the strictly controlled studies, which are few and outdated), because most don’t admit when they’ve wounded a deer, so there’s no way to get accurate data on this. 

Where I disagree partly, is where many are stating “it’s the shooter, not the equipment.”

I agree with that statement for the most part when it comes to compound and crossbow, however, when it comes to traditional archery hunters, this is where I believe that statement doesn’t have the same level of application. 
The reason I say that is, the constant amount of dedication and discipline necessary for a traditional shooter to be as proficient as compound and crossbow shooters is 100 fold. Compound and crossbow shooters can pick up a new bow or crossbow, and within a few days outshoot 99% of traditional shooters at 30 yards. Traditional archery is a religion, not a part time hobby, it can’t be given the difficulty in shooting those bows with any degree of consistency, let alone the shooters ability to judge distance extremely accurately. Your margin of error on shot distance is much more limiting with trad gear. 
That’s why traditional archer’s wounding rates are so high, because even with the dedication that many of them invest in becoming highly proficient, the inherent difficulty of consistent shooting with traditional gear simply makes it impossible. 
I love traditional archery, but I won’t hunt with it because I don’t have the level of dedication necessary, nor the discipline to stay within the limits of the bow I’d be shooting.