IGNORED

Dear Lazy Hunters - setting up your blinds/stands - SCOUT YOUR AREA FIRST!

I saved this note that my Dad put on his stand up in Stokes in 82.  It was a big wooden stand.  There were at least 20 on the mountain that other people built.  Everyone used them.  Nobody seemed to mind.  If you saw someone in one, you just moved on.  I saw someone in one that I built and I was planning on using it that day.   I walked up and said, "I built this stand and would like to use it". He got down, no problem.  Weren't supposed to be any stands built on the land, but they were all over.

IMG_5349.jpg

Edited by Nomad

Your stands don’t mean squat if you aren’t in them. By your logic if I spent enough money and time I could claim an entire WMA with stands! It’s first come first serve day to day. So how is it lazy? He clearly scouted and found a decent spot if  your friends have been hunting there for a long time and are successful. Seems as though you’re the one riding the coattails of others hard work. Oh and that’s what hunter orange is for. 

41 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I saved this note that my Dad put on his stand up in Stokes in 82.  It was a big wooden stand.  There were at least 20 on the mountain that other people built.  Everyone used them.  Nobody seemed to mind.  If you saw someone in one, you just moved on.  I saw someone in one that I built and I was planning on using it that day.   I walked up and said, "I built this stand and would like to use it". He got down, no problem.  Weren't supposed to be any stands built on the land, but they were all over.

IMG_5349.jpg

It's the corn piles that have made guys more territorial and people aren't as nice as they used to be plus they are more stupid nowadays.

Update - the situation was calmly handled as intended. My post was out of some frustration but also indicating courtesy and direction  I noted originally how we can all sort of expect this on public land - but when you see one stand you should keep looking up for another just in case. It has seemed that lately - some have had worse scenarios where stands are stolen or blinds have been messed with which i don't have words for how aggravating it is to read about that stuff.

Scouting is crucial to hunting, and yes its important to note where other stands are. It's not about 'claiming' land - but you never know when someone will be in them or if they are absolutely a responsible hunter also. 

As always i am grateful for all inputs- violence never solves anything - cheers to all the posts and input. Happy hunting all!

9 hours ago, FeniQuest217 said:

I needed an attention grabber. Listen - we get it, its an understanding all hunters can hunt anywhere -first come first serve. But- dont be a complete moron. This advice can save your life.

The present situation - I've posted numerous times about a spot i was invited to put a stand up near a friend of mine and his fathers stand, NEVER GIVING AWAY AOBVIOUSLY EXACTLY WHERE IT IS.  They have been hunting this area for over 15 years and have moved stands around and rarely seen anyone ever. We are positioned well , we have 4 stands covering approximately 500 yards or area. We have 3 stands stretched out along a row that are about 100 yards  from each other. A ground blind and a trail cam popped up near the 1st and second stand within 50 yards or less of these stands.

DO YOU EVEN SCOUT THE LAND YOU ARE HUNTING? if you see 3 stands in an area - thats a key to NOT PLANT YOUR FLAG IN THE MIDDLE!  If these weren't seasoned hunters with itchy trigger fingers, impatience and it was 6day you want to risk that?  

I've got to say, i see more posts about stuff like this and its so aggravating. IF you find an area, scout the whole thing. IF you see a stand up, be courteous to that area and search elsewhere. Obviously if you're a scumbag piece of garbage you won't care and youll probably steal the equpiment or  something. But there's enough information out there that will tell you about hunting and HOW TO SCOUT! Now - we now know why our area that started with 2 bucks and a few does is now dead on the cam. Its more infuriating that "oh theres a stand nearby, i'll just walk away from it and put up a ground blind without checking the rest of the area"  The worst part is - there's so much other area to cover to hunt and this guy is smack in the middle of it all. I'm not out there today, but my friend and his father are and they saw you walk-in in your black hoody like a complete clutz. Pay attention.

I have been there to many times. The problem is it’s stand land. First come first serve is correct. For that day and that day only. I’m not advocating for the guy who did it but I think your mentality is wrong here. You don’t get to claim an area for 15 years and say it’s yours. If you’re baiting you’re area will obviously show more sign attracting others. Again not saying the guy is right. But neither are you. State woods is state woods. They pay there license fee the same as you. 

again this is just my opinion. But I used to get pissed at the same thing. Now I hunt stream crossings and pinch points only. Pack in pack out. I have 2 spots with cameras. That’s it. 

5 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Screw that, leave a nasty note and tell him an ass kicking is on the way

Lol, I’d always amazes me how many tough guys there are on line. I seriously doubt you are going to kick his ass or anyone else’s.

As for the OP, it’s been said a hundred times, you don’t automatically “own” and are just because to stick up a bunch of stands. I say one stand per piece of land and must have your name and license or phone number on it.

I dont get the whole being upset about someone setting up without even having contact with the person. I have had a couple times where a note was left on my camera. Simply pulled camera and moved on. One was  guy who only shotgun hunted. So bow season I was all alone.  Another piece had 2 guys that have hunted same stands for 6 day for over 30 years. I was told by them I could sit their stands entire bow season. Notes and contact open doors not close them in my opinion. Last 6 day I met a guy who was hunting close to one of my set ups. I wished him luck and told him hecould sit my stand if he wanted. But I would be there wednesday afternoon with my apprentice hunter. He said he would hunt elsewhere wednesday.  Ended up killing a buck that afternoon. It is too easy to be reasonable with other hunters if you communicate. 

Same thing on public every year: claim stakers vs the claim jumpers. Both are right, yet both are wrong, and neither think they are. 

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.