IGNORED

Range report. Remington AccuTip vs Remington premier expander Barnes

First picture . 100 yds,  20 gauge  savage 220, 3” Remington AccuTips. I pulled the first shot then clover leafed the next 3 shots.

Second picture same gun, 100 yds . 3” Remington Premier featuring BARNES  expander slug. They did not group as well as the Accutips.

Third picture: Five shot group again with the 3” Accutips at 100 yds. I was hoping the Remington/Barnes slug would have grouped better but I guess I’m sticking with the Accutips. 

F55A82AC-04CC-4BDE-9124-BDAE5F55AAA9.jpeg

07FBD34D-8A3B-45BB-AE59-199EFFE90E8A.jpeg

B8354EA1-FE21-4C1E-9637-C1DE66F5CAFF.jpeg

Edited by Bowhunter2004

From what I see it's the Accutips!!! 

I just got 6 boxes of the Barnes and was hoping they shot as good, I will shoot in the spring....friend of mine shot the Barnes from his 220 the groups where just as good as the Accutips,  the Barnes shot a little flatter..so he went with Barnes that is what got me to purchase 6 boxes

20181212_201334.jpg

Federal Barnes Expander was the most lethal slug ever made....you could hit a deer in it's hoof and it would fall over dead....:rofl:...Glad to see Rem brought it back after  after buying the patent or right from Barnes a few years back....I'll give them a try at some point......The Barnes bullets are truly phenomenal......

I was hoping to see better results from your testing as well. I’ve been using the 2.75 Accutips out of the 220 for years but I’m not thrilled with the expansion/blood trails/time to death. 

But I won’t give up the precision, but I’m hoping to find a better expanding slug with the same accuracy. 

Does “Rage” make slugs?!!!😂

52 minutes ago, Daktari said:

Federal Barnes Expander was the most lethal slug ever made....you could hit a deer in it's hoof and it would fall over dead....:rofl:...Glad to see Rem brought it back after  after buying the patent or right from Barnes a few years back....I'll give them a try at some point......The Barnes bullets are truly phenomenal......

Thats why I wanted to try them. The Barnes didn’t fly terrible, but I really hate to give up the pinpoint accuracy of those accutips.  But on the other hand, I like dropping deer dead in there tracks. 

2 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Why such a high 100 yard Zero ??
 For 95 % of whitetails taken with a slug that is a very high zero.

Probably because an AccuTip zeroed at 100 is also zeroed at 25 with a 1" margin high or low between 10 and 110 yards (that's why I am going to zero at 100). See my thread here:

25 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Probably because an AccuTip zeroed at 100 is also zeroed at 25 with a 1" margin high or low between 10 and 110 yards (that's why I am going to zero at 100). See my thread here:

He is Hitting 4" high at a hundred, not sighted in spot on at a 100.

That's a big difference over where you intend to sight into .

where he is shooting at 100 would be for a 150 yard zero.

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Thats why I wanted to try them. The Barnes didn’t fly terrible, but I really hate to give up the pinpoint accuracy of those accutips.  But on the other hand, I like dropping deer dead in there tracks. 

And thus the point of terminal performance. The more accurate slug may look better on paper but shoot a whitetail at 100 with a slug that doesn’t provide the same type of terminal performance of the slightly less accurate slug and you’ll be scratching your head looking for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

44 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Why such a high 100 yard Zero ??
For 95 % of whitetails taken with a slug that is a very high zero

Originally was going for 3.4” high at 100 yds with a 150 yd zero, for hunting large AG fields and food plots out west. But it really wasn’t practicle.  I’m still working it out. For now  I ended the day at aprox  1.5” high at 100 yds with the accutips. The Red dots are me walking down the accutips with the last two side by side shots being the end of the session. 

BAEF27BE-448E-4BC2-B515-8EF85CB769D4.jpeg

Edited by Bowhunter2004
Added picture.