IGNORED

Range report. Remington AccuTip vs Remington premier expander Barnes

He is Hitting 4" high at a hundred, not sighted in spot on at a 100.
That's a big difference over where you intend to sight into .

where he is shooting at 100 would be for a 150 yard zero.

Its also about 6” high at 75 which puts a center cavity hold shot in no mans land high on the deer. MPBR is what every slug gun/rifle should be sighted in for than holdover used for anything past that. Just how many slug gun shots in reality are taken past 125yrds... not many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

21 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

He is Hitting 4" high at a hundred, not sighted in spot on at a 100.

Oh, I see. Good point. I didn't pay attention - I just looked at the tight group.

1 minute ago, Bowhunter2004 said:

for hunting large AG fields and food plots out west.... I ended the day at  1.5” high at 100 yds with the accutips

Ah... for long range. Of course, you know, the first shot a deer gives you is going to be at 40 yards :D 

2 hours ago, Bowhunter2004 said:

Thats why I wanted to try them. The Barnes didn’t fly terrible, but I really hate to give up the pinpoint accuracy of those accutips.  But on the other hand, I like dropping deer dead in there tracks. 

That's some grouping with the accutips at 100 yards !....I think I would stay with them.........How has the Accutip performed in the field??

For the 8 years I've been using the Accutips I have zero issues on their performance on game, only reason I'm curious on trying the Barnes is share experience of the devastation Barnes is known for, and see if they group as well.....Friend of mine tried them and the grouped as good as the Accutips for him in his 220, every gun is different 

1 minute ago, BHC said:

For the 8 years I've been using the Accutips I have zero issues on their performance on game, only reason I'm curious on trying the Barnes is share experience of the devastation Barnes is known for, and see if they group as well.....Friend of mine tried them and they grouped as good as the Accutips for him in his 220, every gun is different 

Just now, nmc02 said:

I love the accutips. HOWEVER, In my opinion there is not a better muzzleloader bullet than the barnes spitfire expander tez/tmz. I shot 6 deer w the barnes mz and not one took a step. 

110% agree......been shooting Barnes out my MZ for 25 years or so, every deer I shot dropped from 10 yards out to 70 yards....The one bear I shot with the Barnes took a few steps and dropped

I love the accutips. HOWEVER, In my opinion there is not a better muzzleloader bullet than the barnes spitfire expander tez/tmz. I shot 6 deer w the barnes mz and not one took a step. 
Where was the point of impact on these deer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, BHC said:

Not a deer but this coyote I took at 80 yards with a Accutip....he spun around and dropped

image.png.e41cba78f970f6dced7cecf025cda352.png

That Accutip looks pretty devastating.!...And I shot many deer with Federal Barnes Expanders and shoot Barnes TEZ thru the Mzl......

I decided I think I might want to shoot the Barnes Bullet anyways based upon the history of how well they perform on deer size game vs the accutips.... I keep reading how sometimes deer keep running when hit with an accutip, vs dropping them in there tracks with the Barnes bullet. The Barnes are not grouping as tight as the accutips, but there shooting plenty good enough at 100yds that I won’t be worrying about wounding/ or missing Deer vitals.  I guess Ill spend more time at the range again this week shooting both slugs thru the new savage. I’m enjoying the process anyways. 

“I decided I think I might want to shoot the Barnes Bullet anyways...”

That doesn’t sound quite  like a decisive decision to me! LOL

Also, I wouldn’t put too much on the “drop in their tracks” claims relative to the particular slug. That’s based more on POI then slug. 

One thing I realized being a bowhunter, is my mindset of aiming my firearm shots behind the shoulder as i would an arrow. This POI will not drop a Deer in its tracks, it’s a double lung shot and still requires loss of blood to kill the animal. 

I will start using the high shoulder POA in the future with my firearms in order to try and drop Deer where they stand rather than having to find them if they’re in thick cover following a double lung shot. 

Part of this extended time to death could very well be the Accutips lack of expansion compared to some of the other slugs mentioned, which I will test to see if their precision matches that of the Accutips from the 220. If not, I will start using the high shoulder POA and see how that works out.