IGNORED

Range report. Remington AccuTip vs Remington premier expander Barnes

On 12/13/2018 at 4:36 PM, BHC said:

From what I see it's the Accutips!!! 

I just got 6 boxes of the Barnes and was hoping they shot as good, I will shoot in the spring....friend of mine shot the Barnes from his 220 the groups where just as good as the Accutips,  the Barnes shot a little flatter..so he went with Barnes that is what got me to purchase 6 boxes

20181212_201334.jpg

Sell it to your friend.
Anyway why six boxes to see if they shoot well?

I decided I think I might want to shoot the Barnes Bullet anyways based upon the history of how well they perform on deer size game vs the accutips.... I keep reading how sometimes deer keep running when hit with an accutip, vs dropping them in there tracks with the Barnes bullet. The Barnes are not grouping as tight as the accutips, but there shooting plenty good enough at 100yds that I won’t be worrying about wounding/ or missing Deer vitals.  I guess Ill spend more time at the range again this week shooting both slugs thru the new savage. I’m enjoying the process anyways. 

Shoot what you have the most confidence in. One thing i can say through tons of testing different slugs ( factory and handloads) on game is altering the usual POI can make a big difference whether they run or drop. Just like a rifle if you hit in classic bowhunter shot placement areas most will shoot through without major expansion and game WILL DIE but will run off. Altering the POI to acheive more resistance will disrupt the slug/bullet causing more expansion and energy transfer. In the pic the black spot is bow placement, the blue is where i adjust for slug/bullet and they usually drop right where hit. Just my opinion from past experience on multiple deer
IMG_0364.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

Well it comes down to this. An accurate bullet that will probably hit where you aim or a less accurate bullet that expands more but may not hit where you are aiming. So you either give up accuracy or potential loss of accuracy for a little more terminal performance but not on the exact location you wanted. Tough decision. I would go with the most accurate. It may go a little further but it will die.  

Try the Federal Trophy Slugs....it's what I switched to after Federal lost  the right to use the Barnes bullet.....I have had amazing results with this bullet as well.   Or try the Remington Barnes in 2 3/4 if they make them....it may tighten the group up....That Accutip group is hard to give up.....The Remington Copper solids are a slower bullet but may group well....My brother shoots those in  out of his Savage 220 (best group and devastating as well)

• 1 month later...

I Stopped off at the range again today for a quick 100 yd slug comparison. The top target is seven shots with the 3” Remington Barnes expanders and the bottom target is five shots with 3” Remington accutips. Even though I didn’t shoot very good today, it’s still pretty clear  the accutips shoot the tighter group.  Both groups were shot from the Savage 220.  

E96A5DAC-271B-4C06-9840-7169E558B6ED.jpeg

• 1 year later...

After shooting 2 3/4"Lightfields for 25 years out of my H&R 20, I had to change since they are out of business:crying: I tried Remington and Winchester with really bad results. Then I found a few boxes of Federal 2 3/4" trophy coppers and only had one box to sight in with, they seem to be flying well at 50 yards. First one was high left, next two touching a little low and left, then the last two a 1.5" to 2" high on center. At least I feel confident at 50 to 70 yards which is the range most deer are killed at, I have enough to hunt with but once I find more shells I will try 100 yards:praying:

fed.jpeg.75d7e37e22586f28e723cc7e4928da2d.jpeg

Edited by bucky

30 minutes ago, Deerhunter said:

This is a 5 shot group at 100 yards with 2 3/4" Barnes expanders out of a 220.

remington expander.jpg

Wow i will have to try those. In my 220 the 3" remington accutips were about 2 inch group at 100 from bench rest. I had them at 3.5 inches high and would like to shoot them out to 160 to see. The area i hunt i can reach out that far.

I have about 4 boxes of the 3 inch and 3 boxes of the 2 3/4. I did not sight in with the 2 3/4.  I had 8 boxes of the 3inch that is why i used them to sight in.

Given the picture above I will have to try the 2 3/4 barnes expanders.

I do know the 3" remingtons pack a punch on deer - MD doe

IMG_0065.JPG

Edited by thefirstndsecond

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

I shot the 2 3/4 Barnes Expanders to to sight in my new 220 an got some great groups but couldn’t find any for the season. 
Got some Accutips from a member on here which also shot great groups and hold tighter pattern out to 100. 
Next year hopefully we have some ammo and I can play around with the different slugs. I would prefer the Barnes since I shoot those out of my ML and had great results on everything I shot. 

13 minutes ago, BHC said:

for me they shot very similar at the time I would ordered a few more boxes of Expanders if they had them in stock, I stuck with Accutips cause I have many boxes

8 shots 100 yards accutips.  What I used on first deer I shot with 220 in snow at 75 yards. Little blood at first then I got more. Good hit but  tried barnes expanders because I use them in my muzzle loader. They shoot about the same accutip about an inch higher. 

100 yds,8 shots accutips.jpg

shotgun buck.jpg

On 12/13/2018 at 5:27 PM, Daktari said:

Federal Barnes Expander was the most lethal slug ever made....you could hit a deer in it's hoof and it would fall over dead....:rofl:...Glad to see Rem brought it back after  after buying the patent or right from Barnes a few years back....I'll give them a try at some point......The Barnes bullets are truly phenomenal......

Same here.  Everything i ever hit with those didn't take another step!  I'll give them a try now.

Currently shoot Hornady and rem accu tips, they are deadly accurate out to 125 yards with my HR 12 ga.

I never lost a deer with any of these slugs, but the old federal would drop them on the spot