IGNORED

It is sad what hunting has become.....are we our own worst enemies????

nmc02

Funny how so many wanna throw out that for a trophy hunter it’s all about the inches .

its about hunting an animal that’s mature . While many will have larger racks , not all do .

hunting a deer that has been educated by hunting pressure adds greatly to the thrill of the chase .

it also allows you to spend more quality time in the woods .

I’m in no hurry to tag out on a smaller deer and end my season early .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Just talked about this with @nmc02 and @3Bladethe other day...

Fall of '22 I was fortunate to score on a buck during early bow that I passed up the year before. 

Then, was again fortunate to score on November 1st that same fall on a mature 8. Felt good to connect on 2 mature bucks, preferring to kill a doe rather than a young buck in recent years. 

THIS FALL- Total effort in frustration as I committed to holding out for a mature shooter that I have been on for the past 2 years. In between family, work, and life was able to get on stand a good amount of times. Not ONCE did I see the buck in person. (I swear the buck was watching me on trail cams)...

Was ready to call it and hope to find a shed from him. Was not going to hunt 2 weeks ago but had the weirdest feeling that I would regret it at this late stage if I didn't try again 1 more time as they are dropping already. 

An 8 that I never saw before was almost dropped twice but I decided not to shoot. As he left following a doe away from me, I knew it was the right decision-for me...10 minutes before dark the shooter appeared and I took him with the Accura quickly and cleanly. 

Upon walking up to him, for one of the first times in my life I felt a bit of remorse. Only because it was bittersweet, knowing that the chess match was over. 

I looked up, said thank you to above, as well as to the buck. In literally 10 minutes, my season changed for the better and did a complete 360°. 

Thought about how fortunate we are to be able to have the chance at a mature deer or any deer for that matter. 

Like I said before, picture yourself 20 years from now. We will give anything to be able to enjoy what we have the opportunities to do in the woods, at this very same moment in time. 

Would not change a thing. 

Good thread Nick. 

Screenshot_20221005-231020_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231220_221322_Gallery.jpg

20221029_175902.jpg

Edited by LPJR

I have zero time for listening to the bashing for killing young bucks, or killing does, etc . I’ve gotten to a point in my life where , I kill what makes me happy . This year I’ve got a new rule, if it gets my blood pumping , and I need to put one in the freezer for myself or others who have asked , I’ll shoot it . Not holding out , tomorrow isn’t guaranteed for myself or that deer. I’ve had a very successful year , and am blessed ,killed a doe and a buck in NJ on the same day in October , and killed a buck in Maine in November . My buddy who adopted the same mentality , killed his first Maine buck and a beautiful old bruiser in NJ during muzzleloader, and it’s been the most fun we’ve had hunting in a long time ! 

kill what makes you happy , F* what anyone else says or thinks . 

You are missing the point although you state what it should be. You said do what is best for you but then you say you should not aim for big mature bucks…. That’s the essence of your post. 
it is a contradiction  you don’t see it. 
take what you want from hunting and pay no attention what others tell you it should be.

BTW killing mature bucks on consistent basis is not just the tine you are willing to put in and doing it right. Location is a key. You need to have access to land that hold mature buck, not all areas do. Give me the best hunter in the world and I can promise you the can place him on land he will be lucky to kill a spike. 

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

Funny how so many wanna throw out that for a trophy hunter it’s all about the inches .

I don’t think anyone is saying Trophy Hunting is bad, just that it’s a choice that many that do it expect everyone else to adopt that mindset. 
I love mature bucks and big racks, took a good one this year. My son and landowners kid both took smaller bucks. They were just as excited as I was. Let others grow on their own. 

Edited by MGHunter66

AWM

1 hour ago, DV1 said:

There probably isn't anyone who is/was more dedicated and passionate about that^^ than me, for a few decades anyway. I'm glad that phase of my hunting journey has passed. I could still get a great Ohio lease, I get a "heads up" every year from some friends who want to know if I'm interested in it, but the stress that comes with all that isn't worth it to me any longer.  Hunting NJ, MD and Maine with my brothers is more enjoyable at this stage in life. Sure, I'd love to shoot a great big buck, but it's not the main motivator for me to go hunting any longer. I love to scout, figure out patterns and a plan of attack, and hunt new areas, and I will shoot a good one if I have the opportunity, but I'm not stressed out about it any more. I can usually find a 3.5 year old to make me happy, and move on to something else.

It’s easy to relax and smell the roses when you shot a bigger buck  then just about anyone has shot in Maine!:lol:

Edited by Nomad

My Favorite harvest was the little basket 6 I got this year with my dad/grandpa’s 105 year old shotgun that’s now cleaned and stored in the safe 

I want to take only 1 more buck in my life.  A legal 6 pt or better on my own dirt in the Catskills using the 3030 my mom bought my dad back in 1966.    After that.  I don’t care.   Deer lost its thrill.   It’s worst than work now.  I like checking cams now more  

2 minutes ago, tick trawler said:

Trophy hunting is bad when.....

When a select few individuals secure all the privare land in a large area, excluding all other hunters in the hope that they will be the one to get the big buck.

You know this is what has happened to hunting in NJ.

I don’t get what you are saying? Are you asking private land owners to let all of us hunting on their land? They purchase land for themselves, not for you or I! 

13 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

I don’t think anyone is saying Trophy Hunting is bad, just that it’s a choice that many that do it expect everyone else to adopt that mindset. 

Funny you should say that when you gave me shit about shooting young 8 next to your area, telling me we should let them grow:-) 

Just now, Lunatic said:

I don’t get what you are saying? Are you asking private land owners to let all of us hunting on their land? They purchase land for themselves, not for you or I! 

This is true.

What I am attempting to describe is a spirit of selfishness that has infected the antler hunters.  They do not allow other hunters at all.