IGNORED

Rut activity Update?

electricstart

3 hours ago, megavites said:

Roy, did the herd in your area take a while to get used to apples? Using them this yr for 1st time and its hit or miss. One side of property I see them munching on them and other side they didn't touch them. I know sometimes introducing new items on the menu takes a while. Years ago i tried the magic bate bulbs and they rotted on the ground.

In the past several seasons I didn't get them out this early.  But I was given 5 bushels. They started rotting in my  garage  so I dumped them around my feeder. Normally a bushel wouldn't last a night. With alot of doe activity. This is my first time using the feeders in many years. Was hoping the combo  would get me one of my fall tags filled.  Just strange the camera isn't more active.  Cooler weather coming this week. Hopefully things pick up. 

1 hour ago, smittty said:

Let me share a story. I hunted a produce farm for years when I first started hunting it the farmer and 80 year old man seen me driving to the back of one of the fields with a load of corn he says to me where you going with all that corn I said am baiting the deer he started laughing and said they won’t eat it. Welp I thought he was crazy and put 400 pounds of corn down next night I hunted the corner pile. Well them deer came out I mean a lot of them walked right over that corn and kept going to the watermelon field. They wanted watermelons and that was it the corn rotted then when the melons where gone they moved to sweet potato and would just eat the top where they are attached to the vine or root then when they where gone they went to the apples then finally the collards. Them deer knew what they wanted and that was that. 

They ❤️ Watermelon. 

3 hours ago, electric10162 said:

Wasn't disagreeing either. Chestnuts are nutritionally better and are more palatable after the first good freeze making acorns bitter apparently. I have tons of acorns and some chestnut in addition to food plots. I ordered 50 Dunstan Chestnut trees for a early spring planting. They should begin producing in 3 to 5 years.

I have 2 Dunstan  chestnuts I grew from seed,  the deer gobble them up. I have deer in clover and stripping pods off soybean plants , some on winter rye and Turnip tops. 

I see them eating a little bit of everything including corn out of the back yard feeder. 

My native crab spples are stripped clean within  a deers reach. 

I see small bucks chasing the last few days as well as scrapes opened up all over the field edges within the last week also. 

20221017_174937.jpg.ed2a04fad0b3099c7c73f97ebeb08eb9.jpg

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

I saw a small 8 on Saturday bird dogging a doe, she lost him and  came sneaking back in the direction they came from. Didn't look like anything serious , also more bucks getting hit on the roads, so I would says there nuts are starting to rattle:up:

24 minutes ago, bucky said:

I saw a small 8 on Saturday bird dogging a doe, she lost him and  came sneaking back in the direction they came from. Didn't look like anything serious , also more bucks getting hit on the roads, so I would says there nuts are starting to rattle:up:

😍

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Haven’t hunted yet. Set my ground blind up . Right now I’m set up on 18 acre property. Not many acorns on the property. Had nothing but fawns around my ground blind. Property next to the one I hunt is loaded with acorns. Found a heavy used trail coming out of swamp on property I’m hunting going to the acorns. Put cam up and finally got a big body buck on cam at night. I’m gonna ground hunt for him. Just hoping to see him during legal hunting hours. Hoping to get some mid day hunts in. Found a few scrapes and rubs heading towards the acorns . I’m good to recover a deer on the other property if need be. 

B4058415-5959-442D-993C-43C2C1746F00.jpeg