IGNORED

Spring trout stocking update from the Chief

Bucksnbows

45 minutes ago, Kype said:

when will float stocking come back? i would volunteer my time to do that. 

Not this year. Still no volunteers helping to stock as in the past until Covid hit. Maybe next year. IMO, the big early dump meant fish spread out more quickly because stocking points had too many fish in them for the habitat to hold. Trout will spread out on their own under those circumstances. It also meant no volunteers to spread fish out wasn’t an issue. Getting volunteers to help through the 7 spring stockings was always tough. I’ve been on the Musky transfer truck for a decade or more. 

Lots of different opinions and Great points from both sides. Looking forward to the survey and I hope they listen to the anglers and make some changes if that’s what the majority wants. Me personally, I’m tired of this “ let’s just go back to the old way” mentality. I really enjoyed the way  the state stocked the last 2 seasons.  I just wish the state would consider a stocking day closure or unannounced stocking days. Just because the state has stocked a certain way for god knows how long does not mean it has to go on forever. I’m no purist, but this 5pm raping of the rivers on a stocking day has gotten old. Let the fish spread out for a day or don’t announce the stocking days at all. Same amount of fish but you won’t know what days.  Such a large amount of fish are taken from the river from 5pm until sunset. This state needs to improve the experience. Not just claim over and over about how it’s all put and take just like our shitty pheasant program. 

1 hour ago, Mallard1100 said:

Lots of different opinions and Great points from both sides. Looking forward to the survey and I hope they listen to the anglers and make some changes if that’s what the majority wants. Me personally, I’m tired of this “ let’s just go back to the old way” mentality. I really enjoyed the way  the state stocked the last 2 seasons.  I just wish the state would consider a stocking day closure or unannounced stocking days. Just because the state has stocked a certain way for god knows how long does not mean it has to go on forever. I’m no purist, but this 5pm raping of the rivers on a stocking day has gotten old. Let the fish spread out for a day or don’t announce the stocking days at all. Same amount of fish but you won’t know what days.  Such a large amount of fish are taken from the river from 5pm until sunset. This state needs to improve the experience. Not just claim over and over about how it’s all put and take just like our shitty pheasant program. 

well said:up:

i despise the 5pm announced stockings.  for more reasons than could ever be listed. If we are a "stocking" state for birds or trout - do not give the date and time.  That is what creates the classic, NJ asshole.   Lets please start "un-assholing" that part of NJ outdoors. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

i despise the 5pm announced stockings.  for more reasons than could ever be listed. If we are a "stocking" state for birds or trout - do not give the date and time.  That is what creates the classic, NJ asshole.   Lets please start "un-assholing" that part of NJ outdoors. 

If they don’t announce them only friends of fish and game employees will know the stocking dates.

Edited by Nomad

4 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Toms river had trout unlimited volunteers to float stock.  I did it a few times they haven't floted it since covid hopefully it comes back

Fished there 20-30 years ago, they were very active then, they started there float at Riverwood park. Great Waters, be cautious bank fishing,chest wading ,slip on the sand some dangerous deep holes and submerged trees.

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

11 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Fished there 20-30 years ago, they were very active then, they started there float at Riverwood park. Great Waters, be cautious bank fishing,chest wading ,slip on the sand some dangerous deep holes and submerged trees.

There is only a handful of holes that are over 5 ft at normal levels.  There are trees submerged in some holes but overall it is very wadeable from the park to the bridge

3 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

There is only a handful of holes that are over 5 ft at normal levels.  There are trees submerged in some holes but overall it is very wadeable from the park to the bridge

Okay I'll give you five or six feet. It's been a long time since I've been there. My favorite spot was behind the gated community for senior citizens. Then down stream of the road by the boy scout headquarters, had a scare, wading in the middle of the river, peaceful and Serene the babbling Brook, BAM, without warning I got passed by kayakers.:banghead:. Still beautiful day, creeled 2.. 3 lb brookies. Yellow rooster tail.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt