IGNORED

Back to doing my trucks myself

smittty

4 minutes ago, smittty said:

I’ve always done most of my Mecanic work myself and not that I want to but may have to start again. I just had a local mechanic put wires plugs rotar and cap on my suburban it has a 5.7 in it. Price was 450.00 I almost fell down. Or may I should open a shop. Does that price sound right

I just had a water pump done on my 2011 tacoma and was going to do myself but said let me get a quote 275.  The pump I could have gotten for 90 in my eyes it wasn't worth me laying on ground in cold for 185 bucks

i give credit to mechanics and guys who DIY on cars and trucks. i hate it so much ill pay someone $200 for oil change and tire rotation before i do it lol. i used to change my oil. but by the time i go to the store, flip through the oil filter bible, drive home, crawl underneath, curse out my truck trying to undo the filter, and then have to dipose of the oil my self. 

id rather sit in a chair and wait while someone else does it for me. swipe my card and im on my merry way. thanks! @Woodsman416 your the best lol. and the guys who work for you. they take care of my tacoma and my wife crv. 

i give credit to mechanics and guys who DIY on cars and trucks. i hate it so much ill pay someone $200 for oil change and tire rotation before i do it lol. i used to change my oil. but by the time i go to the store, flip through the oil filter bible, drive home, crawl underneath, curse out my truck trying to undo the filter, and then have to dipose of the oil my self. 
id rather sit in a chair and wait while someone else does it for me. swipe my card and im on my merry way. thanks! @Woodsman416 your the best lol. and the guys who work for you. they take care of my tacoma and my wife crv. 

I have a Duramax 6.6…. Lots of synthetic oil. I do every other oil change. $100 for the oil and filter. Takes about 15 minutes. I store the oil in the jugs and return it when I go back and buy more oil. I have no more than an hour into it and I have my truck for my work purposes. Dropping the truck and taking a loaner burns 4-5 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

Just had the batteries replaced in my truck. Was going to do it myself until I found out the computer might have to be re-programmed to recognize new batteries. 

I never heard of that before.  I replaced the battery on my 2012 Ram without monkeying with the computer.

What year truck? make? model?

I had a problem with the fob on my current truck (2013 Ram). Several locksmiths wanted$300+ to program it. I  found a guy that did it for $150. 

Years ago I replaced the fob on my 2002 Ranger. I replaced it because the plastic loop that attaches it to the rest of my keys was broke. They wouldn't sell just the plastic shell I had to buy a new fob. However the dealer programmed it for free.

That's the reason I started doing the brakes for everyone's car in the house.  Better parts and less than half price.  Shocks too.   I also do oil changes that require synthetic oil.  Conventional is not worth doing.  

If you shop online you will even get parts cheaper and usually dealer OEM parts. Shocks you can get top of the line Bilsteins cheap. I patronize the local autozone but for some items I go online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems the auto companies screw the"shade tree mechanics" by requiring a special tool for a lot of things.  I recall my Ranger required a special tool to change the fuel filter.

Also sometimes when I try to work on my truck I always need a tool I don't have. The last time I had that problem it was a certain size Torx driver.

31 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

Just had the batteries replaced in my truck. Was going to do it myself until I found out the computer might have to be re-programmed to recognize new batteries. 

Just did mine last week.  Pricy battery and a re-program...$330 (dealership is way more expensive than that.)  Bimmer draws a lot of juice when it's not running. This one lasted 27 months.

Oil changes...9 quarts of Amsoil Euro Spec which I get super cheap (ONLY $9/qt and a $42 filter) Gotta love ridiculously expensive oil changes

Edited by not on the rug

16 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

I never heard of that before.  I replaced the battery on my 2012 Ram without monkeying with the computer.

What year truck? make? model?

I had a problem with the fob on my current truck (2013 Ram). Several locksmiths wanted$300+ to program it. I  found a guy that did it for $150. 

Years ago I replaced the fob on my 2002 Ranger. I replaced it because the plastic loop that attaches it to the rest of my keys was broke. They wouldn't sell just the plastic shell I had to buy a new fob. However the dealer programmed it for free.

Lot of vehicles require programming for battery replacement these days.  Total pain in the ass.

I still do it, when I can. I enjoy it, acquired a good amount of tools over the years. Various places to get discounted OEM parts. Just wish I had a nice, big garage.

Put new CV axles on my daughter-in-law's Explorer before the snow.