IGNORED

Back to doing my trucks myself

smittty

On 2/1/2022 at 3:01 PM, smittty said:

I’ve always done most of my Mecanic work myself and not that I want to but may have to start again. I just had a local mechanic put wires plugs rotar and cap on my suburban it has a 5.7 in it. Price was 450.00 I almost fell down. Or may I should open a shop. Does that price sound right

Don’t know what your driving Smitty but, if it’s a V-8, that price is pretty close. All quality plug wire sets for V-8’s are over $100 alone! Caps are $30-$40 and rotors are $18-$25. Sounds like the labor could have been high but, with the accessibility on stuff anymore, a couple of hours isn’t out of line. So your talking $150-$160 in parts and $200 labor. Not sure where the extra $100 came from…

Does anyone have experience with Jasper rebuilt engine?

My Ram 1500 5.7 liter has a cam problem. This is something I'm told is common in these engines over 100k miles. It's going to the dealership on Tuesday. The service manager there is familiar with this problem. He mentioned something about$4200 to fix it. It will likely be in the shop for at lesst a week I assume.  If that works out before my surgery I'll just take an Uber to the airport and go to my son's while the truck is in the shop.

The reason I put this up is to get any input on replacing the entire engine with one from that Jasper engines company. Has anyone done that?

Edited by 230jhp

35 minutes ago, 230jhp said:

My Ram 1500 5.7 liter has a cam problem. This is something I'm told is common in these engines over 100k miles. It's going to the dealership on Tuesday. The service manager there is familiar with this problem. He mentioned something about$4200 to fix it. It will likely be in the shop for at lesst a week I assume.  If that works out before my surgery I'll just take an Uber to the airport and go to my son's while the truck is in the shop.

The reason I put this up is to get any input on replacing the entire engine with one from that Jasper engines company. Has anyone done that?

Do you trust your mechanic?  I'm not a dodge expert... I know those 5.7s have issues with the lifters that cause the cam problems and that folks tend to upgrade them when they re-build that motor.  

On 2/1/2022 at 3:08 PM, vdep217 said:

I just had a water pump done on my 2011 tacoma and was going to do myself but said let me get a quote 275.  The pump I could have gotten for 90 in my eyes it wasn't worth me laying on ground in cold for 185 bucks

$275 is a very reasonable  price.  What shop?

My brother in law owns
Promar Precision Engines, Paterson it is the place to take your engine and heads to be rebuilt. They have an inventory of parts in stock.
I handled a lot of Hemis when I worked there. The early Hemis
had bad rods and the pistons were cracking blocks because costs had to be cut somewhere. At Promar 100 engines were being shipped worldwide yearly.
https://www.promarhemiengines.com/
https://www.promarhemiengines.com/cylinder-head-process.php

https://www.promarhemiengines.com/contact-us.php

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk