IGNORED

NJ Deer baiting 2022-2023 season?

GilV

1 minute ago, Shakyjake said:

Not sure why it would have anything to do with EHD. It’s not spread through food, it’s spread through the bite from a midge. 

It doesn’t. Guys are mixing everything up between CWD, EHD, and baiting. 
this is a perfect example of “a little knowledge is dangerous!” 

The baiting issue is only connected with CWD, anything else is total speculation and not based on any science whatsoever. 

3 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Just a century ago there was 10 times the amount of land to hunt, at least, and private land open to anyone who asked before clubs least it all and drove so many deer to their death the State had to reintroduce them from other States and enact game laws

Most of the YO Buck clubs in South Jersey that drive all hunt Public Land and there is more than enough land to hunt if you want to get out and go deep in the pines as for northern NJ there are more deer now in the Northern part of the state than ever before, on less land than we ever had, the driving does not hurt the herds, the unlimited does and buck permits are what take a toll on the population of the herds up North.

JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION from a guy who has hunted NJ since his 1st license in 1959.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

7 hours ago, GilV said:

If they really want to improve the deer herd they should manage it like Ohio. One buck per year whether by bow gun or muzzleloader. Guys would be more selective and the buck to doe ratio would be greatly improved.

They don’t want to improve the deer herd. They want to reduce the deer herd. 

6 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

The state does not give a **** about managing the deer like Ohio.  We are not a destination state for trophy hunters.  The only thing the state is concerned about is the revenue that all the BS permits generate.  I think we have a better chance of seeing a baiting permit and deer driving permit before the state bans either.  

And for a lot of out-of-staters, the ability to shoot multiple or unlimited does for meat makes it a destination state. Many within a few hour drive that can only shoot one or two deer. To come here for a couple days, a week, and go to town is an attractive offering to the meat hunter. 

You guys speak out of both sides of your mouths “the state wants all deer dead that’s why it’s unlimited does and 6 bucks a year” and now “the state is going to ban baiting because CWD or EHD will kill all the deer”… if they want all the deer dead why ban baiting? And why would they care about CWD or EHD?

Just hunt any way you want to and enjoy it while we still can!

13 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

Dang. You guys are good at it

I guess, 1980s friend and i both draw permits (only 50 given out) NAFEC near Atlantic City, an experience to hunt with 48 guys you don't know plus security guards, split up into 2 teams, 

surround a patch of woods, drive post, repeat all day long till dark, ton of deer taken, few good bucks, i don't think any misses, my friend and i got nothing/ no shots, odd thing was it was always the same guys shooting all the deer

10 hours ago, bushden said:

as for northern NJ there are more deer now in the Northern part of the state than ever before, on less land than we ever had, the driving does not hurt the herds, the unlimited does and buck permits are what take a toll on the population of the herds up North.

JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION from a guy who has hunted NJ since his 1st license in 1959.

I agree unlimited doe and liberal buck permits take a toll, but that's all I can agree with you on.  Quite the opposite on the rest.  You must not hunt public land up north 

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

I agree unlimited doe and liberal buck permits take a toll, but that's all I can agree with you on.  Quite the opposite on the rest.  You must not hunt public land up north 

I hunt Sourland mountain area that as far as I go north.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

12 hours ago, JD48 said:

I guess, 1980s friend and i both draw permits (only 50 given out) NAFEC near Atlantic City, an experience to hunt with 48 guys you don't know plus security guards, split up into 2 teams, 

surround a patch of woods, drive post, repeat all day long till dark, ton of deer taken, few good bucks, i don't think any misses, my friend and i got nothing/ no shots, odd thing was it was always the same guys shooting all the deer

I hunted the FAA center 1 year. Would meet up for drives. Took me 2x to figure out the Cherry pickers. Lots of rules there but U have to be in the clique. 

1 hour ago, Buckeyes11 said:

I hunted the FAA center 1 year. Would meet up for drives. Took me 2x to figure out the Cherry pickers. Lots of rules there but U have to be in the clique. 

Buck you are correct, friend and i went twice, never got a shot at anything, but always the same guys and security shooting all the deer, seemed like a secret club

I am praying they stop baiting.. I have had some great luck on Federal land this year where baiting, nor spotlighting is allowed. Such an awesome time hunting deer on trails and runs. Patterning them was great.. Guys that bait, great I'm happy for you.. Guys that hunt peoples back yards happy for you as well.  As hunters in general, Technology, bait, and hunting within 150 feet of a house has taken a big piece of the fun and excitement out of the hunt.. I've had the best luck this year hunting in spots that support no bait and I don't have camera's.