IGNORED

COVID-19 Discussion and Updates

MZ7Extreme

I know a lot of people still think this isn’t bad because of statistics from the flu. But if the the flu was worse than this we would already be prepared. You wouldn’t see the hospitals running out of vents, or rooms, you wouldn’t see morgues over flowing causing hospitals to rent and purchase refrigeration trucks to stack bodies (yes that’s right here in NJ). I’ve never personally known anybody that has died from the flu. In the past week I know of 4 people that have died from CV19. Two in their 30s, 1 who was 46 and 1 who was late 50s. Known who are unhealthy. It seems it may not get as bad as it was first predicted. Probably 2.5-3.5 million cases, 250,000 deaths (worldwide). It just doesn’t compare to the flu in my personal experience. 

2 hours ago, Jcol6268 said:

I know a lot of people still think this isn’t bad because of statistics from the flu. But if the the flu was worse than this we would already be prepared. You wouldn’t see the hospitals running out of vents, or rooms, you wouldn’t see morgues over flowing causing hospitals to rent and purchase refrigeration trucks to stack bodies (yes that’s right here in NJ). I’ve never personally known anybody that has died from the flu. In the past week I know of 4 people that have died from CV19. Two in their 30s, 1 who was 46 and 1 who was late 50s. Known who are unhealthy. It seems it may not get as bad as it was first predicted. Probably 2.5-3.5 million cases, 250,000 deaths (worldwide). It just doesn’t compare to the flu in my personal experience. 

Good points.  I don't know anyone directly nor do I know anyone who knew someone who died from the flu.  I've never seen hospitals overrun anywhere in this country in my lifetime whether from the flu or otherwise.  I've never seen or heard of refrigeration trucks being required at a hospital here in the US because their morgue was full.  These are all landmarks of CV's significance IMO, and keep in mind this is all while a massive country wide quarantining effort is underway.  Not everyone is doing it, but there are certainly a significant number of people doing it, as well as businesses.  I've never seen that done with the flu and had it been, the flu's relative stats would be way less than they were/are.

23 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

As a RN on the frontline I can tell you that we opened an auxiliary ICU in our post anesthesia recovery room. Our regular icu is filled to the brim with covid vented pt’s. This is a small hospital I can only imagine what the larger hospitals are facing.

You need to take care of yourself and your patients. 

We will stay home and keep ourselves as healthy as possible and avoid going to the hospital at all costs to keep from stressing the hospitals more.  Thank you in spades for the work you and the hospital staff are doing. 

33 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

You need to take care of yourself and your patients. 

We will stay home and keep ourselves as healthy as possible and avoid going to the hospital at all costs to keep from stressing the hospitals more.  Thank you in spades for the work you and the hospital staff are doing. 

Thanks. It’s definitely uncharted territory. Affecting the young as well as old. They were doing cpr on a 40ish year old male as I left this morning. Yet I took care of an 87 yr old female who was recovering and doing well. I have the next 2 days off and am going to relax.

Since it has become a hobby pointing out the hypocrisy on here- A lot of folks are talking about how serious this pandemic is while also defending every move Trump makes. 

What are your thoughts that the President has now put his son-n-law in charge of response? Seems WAY worse than hunter biden making money off a foreign company.  One incompetence has no direct impact on you, the other does. Thoughts??

I've remained quiet but read all of the articles. As a person below the age threshold and with no underlying conditions, the odds are still 100% in my favor and similar to that of the flu. The reason I break from a "no need to worry based on the odds mentality" is that I have never heard about someone young and in great health dying from the flu. It absolutely kicks some people's asses randomly and it doesn't make sense to the medical field. It's still novel and we just don't know enough - that is what concerns me and my family.

21 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Since it has become a hobby pointing out the hypocrisy on here- A lot of folks are talking about how serious this pandemic is while also defending every move Trump makes. 

What are your thoughts that the President has now put his son-n-law in charge of response? Seems WAY worse than hunter biden making money off a foreign company.  One incompetence has no direct impact on you, the other does. Thoughts??

I'm not saying I agree with the decision to add Kushner to the mix (not even quite clear on what his role is) but the two things are not even comparable. The Biden's were likely involved in a massive theft of American taxpayer money, laundering, corruption, etc. If I had to guess Kushner, like Trump, won't actually be making any of the important decisions in a vacuum, the experts will be telling him what to do.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye57 said:

.:crying:

Edited by buckhound

1 hour ago, ESetter said:

The reason I break from a "no need to worry based on the odds mentality" is that I have never heard about someone young and in great health dying from the flu. It absolutely kicks some people's asses randomly and it doesn't make sense to the medical field. It's still novel and we just don't know enough - that is what concerns me and my family.

NIH's Dr Fauci was speaking with CNN's Dr Gupta on CNN about exactly that yesterday. Fauci said that there is something else going on with this virus, that they do not understand yet. Why it sometimes so quickly kills a very healthy young adult.

And, I agree 1000% with Senator Schumer's letter to President Trump asking him to name a military official as a czar to oversee production and disbursement of medical equipment and invoke the Defense Production Act.

This is exactly the reason why it was so hard for me to vote for Trump in 2016 … in case  we have a real crises. I was thinking of war, never expecting this pandemic. Trump is profoundly unfit for the job. His stupidity, his pettiness, his inaction because he didn't want his stock market to take a ding … has, and, is killing people.

I voted for Trump. I've been registered as a republican since Reagan's first term. No more. I'm a pissed off M-F.

1 hour ago, Jim_ said:

And, I agree 1000% with Senator Schumer's letter to President Trump asking him to name a military official as a czar to oversee production and disbursement of medical equipment and invoke the Defense Production Act.

The fake news believers never learn. Trump did appoint a military man, an Admiral!  

"Navy Rear Adm. John Polowczyk, who has been heading up the Federal Emergency Management Agency's supply chain task force, spoke at the White House coronavirus briefing."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/schumer-calls-trump-appoint-military-man-oversee-coronavirus-supply-distribution-n1174906

Screenshot_20200403-103619.jpg

Edited by nickmarch

18 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

NIH's Dr Fauci was speaking with CNN's Dr Gupta on CNN about exactly that yesterday. Fauci said that there is something else going on with this virus, that they do not understand yet. Why it sometimes so quickly kills a very healthy young adult.

This is exactly the reason why it was so hard for me to vote for Trump in 2016 … in case  we have a real crises. I was thinking of war, never expecting this pandemic. Trump is profoundly unfit for the job. His stupidity, his pettiness, his inaction because he didn't want his stock market to take a ding … has, and, is killing people.

I voted for Trump. I've been registered as a republican since Reagan's first term. No more. I'm a pissed off M-F.

Yes, something is up, either a mutation or ...?

As far as being pissed off goes what are you going to do in 2020? Can you imagine what Biden would be doing in this situation? That guy is barely comprehensible. It is sad to watch and I find it hard to imagine he doesn't need 24x7 support to accomplish his daily tasks. The guy looks and sounds like he is losing his faculties. If it is Biden vs Trump I just don't see how anyone can vote for Biden.

23 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

I see the value in your opinion.  Mine is there is a fine line that is a slippery slope.  While yes it seems like in action on the pandemic it was action for the country,  not just his stocks,  but the entire economy.  There needs to be a line drawn in the sand,  where that line is I cant say.  While yes this pandemic could get bad,  at what cost to the people as a whole will the economy effect.  Shutting down the economy could to long could lead us into depression not recession and it has the possibility of making the great depression look small, and could last years past what the virus will.  wich could also lead to deaths of americans from starvation and lack of medical care as hospitals will be forced to close first responders will be cut and so on.  

It is important to look at both sides of the coin here.   As I said just my opinion and I truly can not answer the question as to where that line needs to be drawn

Edited by vdep217