IGNORED

COVID-19 Discussion and Updates

MZ7Extreme

Statistic wise it’s killing people at a higher rate case per deaths compared to the flu. If statistics are correct and accurate. Also you have people carrying it with no symptoms. So you visit a relative with health problems and they get the corona virus from you not knowing you even had it and they die. That would worry anyone. Is it seasonal like the flu? No one seems to know.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that swine flu infected nearly 61 million people in the United States and caused 12,469 deaths. Worldwide, up to 575,400 people died from pandemic swine flu.

Were not even scratching the surface worldwide of what flu epidemics have done in the US alone, not even with just the swine flu numbers.  Yet we have never had this much fear placed on a virus by the media.  Yes it is bad like the rest, but will it exceed other viruses we've dealt with before there is a vaccine? Probably not if we haven't even reached 5ooo deaths  with most being in China where they have a high population that has been infected for god knows how long.

8 minutes ago, BackwoodsBoy said:

Statistic wise it’s killing people at a higher rate case per deaths compared to the flu. If statistics are correct and accurate. Also you have people carrying it with no symptoms. So you visit a relative with health problems and they get the corona virus from you not knowing you even had it and they die. That would worry anyone. Is it seasonal like the flu? No one seems to know.

It's all about droplet precaution.

Wash hands, don't touch your face and sneeze cough into something not on someone.

As per killing at a higher rate, those numbers are not right nor can you gauge it because a vast majority of people with it has the milder version will not seek medical attention and not be tested.

In August we will see a better picture when it comes to numbers.

My guess is 1.5% mortality rate

33 minutes ago, BackwoodsBoy said:

21 minutes ago, MZ7Extreme said:

It's all about droplet precaution.

Wash hands, don't touch your face and sneeze cough into something not on someone.

As per killing at a higher rate, those numbers are not right nor can you gauge it because a vast majority of people with it has the milder version will not seek medical attention and not be tested.

In August we will see a better picture when it comes to numbers.

My guess is 1.5% mortality rate

It is silly to say this thing is alike a flu. The death rate is higher for sure.
It is also not logical to say not everybody is tasted for the corona  therefore we can not say its higher death rate  since we know very few people get tested for flu as well. Many have it, never see a doctor and never become apart of the statistics. The experts with lifetime expertise on the subject claim the data shows 10x greater fatality than the flu. I will go with experts

Edited by Lunatic

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

It is also not logical to say not everybody is tasted for the corona  

I'm available lady's.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

23 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

It is silly to say this thing is alike a flu. The death rate is higher for sure.
It is also not logical to say not everybody is tasted for the corona  therefore we can not say its higher death rate  since we know very few people get tested for flu as well. Many have it, never see a doctor and never become apart of the statistics. The experts with lifetime expertise on the subject claim the data shows 10x greater fatality than the flu. I will go with experts

We're talking about a new strain of covid virus.. MERS and SARS were covid viruses too.

Did we panic with any of these?

I'm still standing by 1.5%, I may or may not be wrong but I do know one thing this is being blown way out of proportion.

44 minutes ago, MZ7Extreme said:

This is also the case for the flu. A lot of people don't seek medical attention for it or more minor impacting strains.

The entire "big picture" for CV is the unknown factor.  They have little (but quickly growing) data around it.  The reality is, early estimates have it at a 2-4% mortality rate (H1N1 and other flu strains are in the 0.01% to 0.2% range which are orders of magnitude lower) and the latest reports from US doctors is that the worst case scenario is it could infect "many, many millions" of people here the US alone.  H1N1 infected 61 million people in the US.  With the mortality rate of CV, if that happened, you'd see 1.2 to 2.4 million deaths here in the US alone.  That is the "fear"and the "panic".   The other aspect is flooding hospitals if an outbreak was "too fast" and that leading to even higher death rates because of inadequate care.  The big question is how many hospitals would be flooded unnecessarily by those who are otherwise healthy adults who could fend off the infection, thereby preventing those who actually need the care immediately from getting it.  So that is a big reason for trying to slow the spread of CV down.

So while these seem like extreme measures, I assure you businesses like the NBA wouldn't be suspending the season and losing millions of dollars if they felt it was mere media drive panic.  And they've certainly done their research around it and have experts in the medical field advising them (not media or politicians).  This is also not isolated to the US, it's a worldwide epidemic and needs attention.  Unfortunately people are freaking out and emptying stores of toilet paper (???) and also buying all the N95 masks.  Mask wise, it's important for the people who are definitively around CV to have them (i.e. medical staff), yet the supply of masks has been taken by citizens here who will wear them inside their houses (???) or during travel (why are you traveling???). 

Ultimately, don't freak out.  YOU are likely not the one at risk if you get it, however you don't want to be the one irresponsibly passing it along to people who it might kill (your elderly and/or immune-compromised parents, relatives, friends etc).  Just be pragmatic and avoid getting it and avoid spreading it.  No need to panic, just be mindful.

EDIT:  Also worth noting is the testing kits available here in the US for CV has been a disaster situation.  The US is grossly under-tested, but it is improving.  The first set of kits was deemed contaminated and it wasn't until THIS week they had a significant supply of new test kits.  Hopefully with more time, there will be more tests and it will highlight the spread of CV slowing down or being far less extensive than feared.  Until then, being pragmatic is erring on the side of caution and not risking millions of deaths, even if it does temporarily inconvenience people or even harm businesses and the economy (I say this as I'm watching my own 401K get crushed).

7 minutes ago, MZ7Extreme said:

We're talking about a new strain of covid virus.. MERS and SARS were covid viruses too.

Did we panic with any of these?

I'm still standing by 1.5%, I may or may not be wrong but I do know one thing this is being blown way out of proportion.

Yes we are talking about new virus and therefore saying it is like the flu is not responsible. For one it maybe  more infectious than the flu because it is new and our immune system will not know how to fight it. You say 1.5%? Ok, thats lower than what experts tell us but this is still several time higher than the flu with a great possibility of infection rate going up since unlike the flue we have no vaccine or immunity. Looking at facts I would not say this is like the flu. Just run some numbers and it may change your mind.
The available numbers are shaky but lets give it a shot:

Here is the flu:

While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

Lets just take the middle number in each range. 27 million recorded infections and 36500 deaths
Therefore death rate at 0.13%

You say corona 1.5%, experts 2% to 3%.
Lets use 1.5%
If 27 million were to get infected with corona you are talking about 405,000 people death.

Not the same is it? 36K vs 405K is not even close

1 hour ago, BackwoodsBoy said:

Statistic wise it’s killing people at a higher rate case per deaths compared to the flu.

It's too early to extrapolate precise values from the data.

The cruise ships are as close to an isolated system as we have at this point.  They are currently our best "petri-dishes."

The stats that are being quoted in general are much higher than those experienced on the cruise ship.  

When you're off by a factor or ten, something's wrong.