IGNORED

Who's gotten cited from a CO, and why

I was cited once, back in the late 80s. I shot a deer during fall bow. I tracked it to a property line. There were no "no trespassing" signs, instead the property was posted with "safety zone" signs. There were no buildings around at all, just woods. I thought I was ok but was approached as I was dragging my deer out. The guy called the game warden and he gave me a trespassing ticket for around $80 if I remember correctly. He let me keep the deer.

While waterfowl hunting on the South Branch I was approached by a short, fat game warden named Ann. She checked my gun, blind bag and decoy bag for lead shot. She checked the mallard and the goose that I had hanging up with a magnet too. She checked the pockets on my coat. "Did I do something wrong?" I asked her. "I'll let you when I'm done" was her reply. Then she stated that she didn't think I was allowed to hunt where I was. I explained to her that I was allowed because I was inside the high water marks of the river. "Kudos to you for knowing the law" she replied smugly. I have to confess that I chuckled when she slipped and fell down into the mud while trying to climb back up the bank.

I was cited last year for fishing in closed waters in NJ. I was scouting and said I'm going to take a few casts not even thinking they were still stocking.

The CO that stopped me knew me and he said Russ what are you doingI said fishing he laughed and said its closed still I said wtf it's almost june, he said this was the last week its closed on a Tuesday. I said a few choice words and he was torn on whether to vote me or not but I said I messed up and that me as if you didbt know me. He cited me very reluctantly I might add. But accidents happen.

The day I shot my biggest buck me and a few of my buddies where dragging him out when my wife called and said she was by the truck with the warden. I told her ok we are on our way out but a long ways out still..it took us about an hour and a half to get the buck out and when we go there the warden checked everyone's licenses and guns ( 5 people) , asked who shot the buck I told him it was me he walked over shook my hand said congrats on a nice buck and left... He never asked me if I check him in yet never checked my gun/ammo or even looked at my license hahaha .....

I never got a ticket but an old timer that hunted with me did once. We where walking out after hunting and as we where getting close to the road I stopped and turned to him and said make sure your gun is unloaded before we get near the road. He went to ejected the first shell and as he did two wardens popped up over a small hill and told him to stop. Where we were walking we were too close to a small factory for him to be loaded. The warden actually pulled out one of them wheel tape measures and measured from where we were standing to the wall of the building. We where 132' from the building. Unfortunately the old timer ended up with a $100 fine and court date.

65 years hunting and fishing.  in the mid 70s I got a ticket for trespassing at fort dix. when I went to court, the guy before me was caught in a high fence area in the cockpit of a air plane, the judge fined him $10.00. I was feeling good about beating my fine, but I also got fined $10.00.  Also checked in the field 1/2 dozen times and they always went well.  It seems like every season I get boarded at least once many times more. never a citation, but one time was very close, I had one keeper fluke in the cooler and just as the state police boat was approaching me I landed another one and put it in the cooler thinking it was a keeper. they boarded me and after measuring the fish it was 1/4 inch short. they took pictures on the ruler so I thought for sure I was getting a ticket. Since it was still alive I released it. I never got a ticket and maybe it was because I was outside the 3 mile line and it was the state police?

I got checked once at Black River WMA during south hunting day and the warden asked me if the convertible is mine. As I said yes he didn’t want to see my license and asked if I got a rug done with the bear I shot a few weeks earlier! Seems like the news from the guy checking in a bear that he brought in the trunk of his convertible travelled within the CO’s. Was pretty funny!

Other than the federal duck stamp I don’t understand the need to sign a license or stamp.   With the permits and license all on recorded in one place. It should be a easy check just like a motor vehicle stop.  

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

40+ years of hunting ...never cited....checked once.

Pulled up to my private land spot and an unfamiliar pick up is parked there. I see a guy about 30 yards into the wood and yelled to him "what are you up to?"...comes walking out and I see the shield on his chest....CO who stopped to take a pee....chatted a little and he said "I gotta check you while I'm here"...checked my muzzy and permit...all good.... told me he's never had a complaint about my group and went on his way. That was about 10 years ago...haven't seen a CO since.

Been checked countless times in NJ & once in Illonois. Never been cited. Caught a break from a Federal warden for forgetting to sign my duck stamp. Caught another one when i went duck hunting and left my license holder on the kitchen counter, I was all set up when I realized it and packed up immediately but got pulled over on the boat ride back to the ramp. The warden (who was know to lock up his own mother) said mail in a copy of your licenses and stamps to Winslow office on Monday or your getting tickets. While striper fishing the same warden called my father and myself over to the floating dock and asked for a ride out to another boat to spot check a couple guys we knew. He said he wanted them bad. We politely declined. He told us dont go over there and warn them or you'll get cited for obstruction. We headed right to the ramp where he was waiting for them. Story was they got written for big bass that a gill netter discarded. What a waste but the law is the law.

Let the lead fly!!!