IGNORED

What Happened To The Poacher? 12/4 results added

Tarhunt

11 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Always plea not guilty and let your lawyer bargain down.  Usually a good legal strategy.

Why have laws and penalties if things can get bargained down if you have the money for a lawyer while those who don't get the full sentence?

There's no question of guilt here, the guy had clear intent in his actions and got caught red handed (literally) in the act.  Why should he have an opportunity to bargain down because he has money?

3 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I wonder if his lawyer is rescheduling dates to find one where the CO may miss the date.

And what do you think would happen then ? If/when he looses his NJ hunting privileges he will not be able to obtain a hunting license in 48 of the remaining 49 states.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

46 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Why have laws and penalties if things can get bargained down if you have the money for a lawyer while those who don't get the full sentence?

There's no question of guilt here, the guy had clear intent in his actions and got caught red handed (literally) in the act.  Why should he have an opportunity to bargain down because he has money?

Our legal system provides every person accused of a crime to fight for their innocence regardless of how much evidence is presented against them.  It is also a system that allows plaintiffs/defendants/state/judges to negotiate compromises to close cases.  It's not perfect, but these are the things that make it flexible and fair.

12 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

And what do you think would happen then ? If/when he looses his NJ hunting privileges he will not be able to obtain a hunting license in 48 of the remaining 49 states.

In traffic cases, the general approach is to schedule your court date when the officer is not available to attend.  This can lead to dismissals.  It may not be applicable to this case, but that's what I was inferring.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

1 hour ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Hey OJ got off, he was a classic example.

50 minutes ago, midwestxpress said:

Hey OJ got off, he was a classic example.

I have been involved in too many court cases and I can honestly say the legal system is not  fair. If you have money you get away with a lot. If you have no money to get good legal help you get nailed to the cross. No one in court is interested in what actually happened. It’s about the show you can put on. 

1 hour ago, Woodsman416 said:

I've been in Hopatcong Municpal court. If they handle this anything like traffic cases the judge might as well be Monte Hall.

And behind curtain number 3....A NEW POOL...

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Why should the poacher be penalized in all 50 states?

Especially the way they wrote game laws.

Can you imagine if hunting were a right? Remember this was supposed to happen years ago?

I believe these should be fines and no jail time. Imagine if people went on their own land when they wanted food and killed a deer or bear or pig or whatever? Imagine being able to camp and fish and hunt without having to refer to game regs.

I am in no way excusing his actions just raising good questions.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

50 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

Can you imagine if hunting were a right? Remember this was supposed to happen years ago?

I believe these should be fines and no jail time. Imagine if people went on their own land when they wanted food and killed a deer or bear or pig or whatever? Imagine being able to camp and fish and hunt without having to refer to game regs.

I think I understand your position, but this act was so egregious, I can't find a soft landing for Poacher Joe at any turn.  It was simply a blatant disregard for the most basic and elemental rules we sportsman must all adhere to.  Blatant poaching has forever been a blight - when the most elemental rule of being "in season" is knowingly violated "on purpose" for the sole purpose of it being a trophy and needing it so badly before someone else who would play by the rules has a chance at it. 

I am sorry but to me, shooting deer at night, out of season, and other blatant fish and game violations done "on purpose"  should be automatic forfeiture of your "right" to ever have license to partake in such activities again, and the fact that states offer reciprocation to me is a very good thing.   Why would Iowa or Illinois or Kansas or Ohio want this dirtbag roaming their state with a weapon ???

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Our legal system provides every person accused of a crime to fight for their innocence regardless of how much evidence is presented against them.  It is also a system that allows plaintiffs/defendants/state/judges to negotiate compromises to close cases.  It's not perfect, but these are the things that make it flexible and fair.

I don't think that's very fair.  It's just a pay to play (or avoid) platform.  Absolutely everyone should be afforded the opportunity to plead their case in the event they are innocent or did not commit the level of crime they are being accused of, but in the face of irrefutable facts with clear intent to commit an exact crime (as is the case with this poacher), no one should be able to plea down and "negotiate".  That simply defeats the purpose of the legal system and having penalties fit crimes.

Listen, I'm all for forgiveness and recognizing people are only human, make mistakes, and commit both intentional and unintentional crimes.  No one is infallible, but there still needs to be accountability and the penalty should fit the intended crime.  At most you plea down when you have unintentionally committed a crime.  This wasn't a lapse of judgement or an unintentional mistake, the intention was very clear and an act of "How can I shoot this buck on a property I'm not supposed to be on before the season opens so no one else gets it before I do?".  

13 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

I strongly disagree with you although I believe if you need food you should be allowed to take an animal any time of the year. Did you read what happened? This guys while trespassing killed a buck two weeks before the season and he git caught while cutting its head of with intention to let the meat to be wasted. He should lose his license for life and he should do some time in my book.