IGNORED

What Happened To The Poacher? 12/4 results added

Tarhunt

I get what he did and am not excusing it at all.

There is evidence and he should face  punishment.

Comparing pedophilia to taking a deer out of season even if they cut the head off is crazy.

Game laws are different in each state and he only committed this in one state on state land. Why make a federal case out of it?

You guys should look at the big pictures and realize those of us who hunt in different states and the regulations we face.

Again, not excusing this scum bag at all.

But trying to keep all the games laws for three states is difficult. Especially when they change and you don't live in that state. Having the connected system in my opinion is just a way for the government  and anti to stop hunting.

Take the orange ( one game warden told me one thing while another was issuing tickets down the road for what we were told was ok) hat issue in small game a couple years ago. Imagine that safety violation and now in 48 states that small mistake could cost too much.

He should be made to pay money, teach classes, and ride along with wardens and lose license for a few years.

All of the violations they can charge he should be charged with.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

36 minutes ago, mfried said:

what do you mean? it wasnt shot in zone 6? 

literally says it right here, shot in Hopatcong, season starts the 14th. 

https://www.njherald.com/news/20190926/trail-cam-captures-out-of-season-hunter

It was shot in an Andover address but in the general  vicinity of Byram Cove. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

The guy is a poacher. Not a hunter, a poacher. Plain and simple. He should lose his ability to hunt in all 50 states for life. He didn't make a little mistake, or get confused about a stupid regulation.. he made a big boy decision to hunt BEFORE THE DAM SEASON was open, and trespass while doing so.  F him.

2 hours ago, thefirstndsecond said:

Imagine if people went on their own land when they wanted food and killed a deer or bear or pig or whatever? Imagine being able to camp and fish and hunt without having to refer to game regs.

I'm not trying to argue, but I'm really confused by this statement. Are you suggesting that there should be zero hunting, or fishing regulations? 

Edited by Hunter115522

17 minutes ago, Hunter115522 said:

I'm not trying to argue, but I'm really confused by this statement. Are you suggesting that there should be zero hunting, or fishing regulations? 

It's good in a Utopian world where all hunters are conservationists, understand ecological balance and wildlife/environmental sustainability...however as you see around the world throughout history, many hunters/poachers do not think or act this way and will kill a species to extinction.  It's a different thing entirely to hunt for survival, which to be honest...laws or not, you are (and should be) doing.  Few in the US would fall into this category of need for survival.

EDIT:  Perhaps @thefirstndsecond is referring to ones own land ONLY, which has far less reaching effects.

44 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

Game laws are different in each state and he only committed this in one state on state land. Why make a federal case out of it?

It's not a federal case or federal law. It's a compact each individual state decides if they want in or out of it. NJ only just recently entered into the Compact.

That said, I see nothing wrong with a person losing their hunting rights nationwide if someone purposefully kills a deer out of season, out of normal hunting hours, only to cut its head off to keep the antlers and waste the meat. I think that it perfectly reasonable, notwithstanding anyone's equating this to more serious crimes  like pedophilia or murder or whatever. Losing the right to hunt across all states for several years is perfectly reasonable for these violations.

I, for one, am glad NJ is part of the Compact. Think of it in reverse. Suppose someone over in, say, Colorado poached a deer in the same manner as in this case - would you want that guy coming over here to hunt because he lost his right to hunt in his home state? I certainly do NOT want poachers in the woods with me here. If you openly thumb your nose and purposefully violate the hunting laws in your state, you 100% are capable and willing to violate the hunting laws in my state. Keep out and stay out!

1 hour ago, mfried said:

zone 6 is where this deer was taken.

it wouldnt surprise me if the exact location has been muddied, But this was taken in Hopatcong, which is entirely in zone 6, which is EAB. I would have no way to know if someone else in this post is not telling the story straight, but nothing surprises me in Hopatcong.  All people do is jack deer there, its been that way for 40 years.

im not saying the OP is incorrect, im sure hes being honest about this, but there were probably 5 other guys who were gonna jack that deer somewhere in that place.  If it happened it where i think im surprised it didnt get shot with a .22.

I only recall what he wrote and you maybe 100% correct.

1 hour ago, thefirstndsecond said:

I get what he did and am not excusing it at all.

There is evidence and he should face  punishment.

Comparing pedophilia to taking a deer out of season even if they cut the head off is crazy.

You guys should look at the big pictures and realize those of us who hunt in different states and the regulations we face.

Again, not excusing this scum bag at all.

But trying to keep all the games laws for three states is difficult. Especially when they change and you don't live in that state. Having the connected system in my opinion is just a way for the government  and anti to stop hunting.

Take the orange ( one game warden told me one thing while another was issuing tickets down the road for what we were told was ok) hat issue in small game a couple years ago. Imagine that safety violation and now in 48 states that small mistake could cost too much.

He should be made to pay money, teach classes, and ride along with wardens and lose license for a few years.

All of the violations they can charge he should be charged with.

He did not forget his orange hat, he did not forget to pin his license on his back, he did not shoot a tiny spike during EAB week thinking it was a doe. This guy hunted off season, on private property without permission, killed the deer at night and intended to leave the animal in the woods to waste. Non of what happened here has anything to do with people killing for food or some honest mistake you make on out of state hunt because you did not know the law. We don't need this idiot among us, take his license for good in all states.

1 hour ago, Hunter115522 said:

I am saying some but not like there is. This has become like British kingdom and hunting on the kings land.

License or permit for everything and permission like a servant. Hunting should be a right, period. Not a privilege to ask permission. Regulated yes but not the way it is done today. 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

15 hours ago, gobblergetter said:

I just found out last weekend at a party that I know the guy. He use to hunt with the same outfitter that we hunted with in Saskatchewan. We always hunted a week before them and one time we met as they came into town. I never knee his last name before.. But did think he looked familiar.

don-markese-and-joey-2004.jpg

Edited by Nomad

2 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

I am saying some but not like there is. This has become like British kingdom and hunting on the kings land.

License or permit for everything and permission like a servant. Hunting should be a right, period. Not a privilege to ask permission. Regulated yes but not the way it is done today. 

Great idea but no longer a wise or achievable goal. With the remaining land and growing population the right you are talking about would wipe out all of our game. We need to manage because we scared the land beyond repair.

Again, not saying he doesn't deserve to be punished.

In my eyes it is a deer. Not a human. 

He did what he did and I am not excusing it. I am just thinking ahead of how this compact crap effects people not just poachers but everyone.

From the guy with the orange hat to the person who may have been drop off by his buddy in an unknown area and might be trespassing.

Any one of us is liable to be caught in a system that is unforgiving , which i have seen first hand. From the kid who shot a doe and owned up to it and still got the shaft to an adult blatantly breaking the law and trespassing that should be fined.

This guys is bad yes. Should he be put to death no. Should he lose hunting rights forever no. Just my opinion. 

Taking someone's license doesn't mean he won't poach again.

I have seen cops harass people for hunting property they wanted to hunt, seen game wardens harass clubs and people act like property lines don't matter.

I hate these types as much as anyone. Remember poaching is poaching. Mistake kill across a zone, or killing and chopping a head off a dear.

Edited by thefirstndsecond

After further review.. ok take his stuff. BUT just taking his license doesn't stop him from poaching.

Having him ride with officers, teach at hunting classes, tell the story of what he did.. and fine him will do far more than a fine and loss of license.

My issue is more with the compact than this poacher.

11 minutes ago, thefirstndsecond said:

After further review.. ok take his stuff. BUT just taking his license doesn't stop him from poaching.

Having him ride with officers, teach at hunting classes, tell the story of what he did.. and fine him will do far more than a fine and loss of license.

My issue is more with the compact than this poacher.

By being complicit and not having or participating in the Wildlife Compact, any other state would be just as culpable and allow that type of behavior to continue over state lines. This is where license fees should be wisely spent for enforcement. Without rules we live like the animals.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."