IGNORED

03/30/2024 Accidental Discharge at South Jersey Shooting Club

Source of information is from Reddit r/NJGuns most of the posting from the author is omitted due to irrelevance and opinionated.

A PSA from South Jersey Shooting Club regarding a training incident on 3/30/24.

“Yesterday a local Police Dept was using the classroom, there was an accidental firearm discharge .

The bullet exited the firearm and struck 3 people. All 3 received medical treatment at the hospital. There are no life threatening injuries. South Jersey Shooting Club is fully cooperating with the investigation that is being conducted by Winslow Township Police Department. This incident was completely accidental and no criminal charges are being filed.”

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

Definitely scary! I was shooting at a range down the shore with my wife and son. We had to watch a short video of safety at the range . First thing on the video was you had to take your firearm out at the station your shooting at and the firearm was only allowed to be in your lane and muzzle pointing down range. So there are tables behind all the lanes that you can sit at and have your shooting bags and gun cases on. These young guys came to shoot. The first thing they did was put a box on the table behind my family and pull an AR out and we’re holding it behind us trying to figure the gun out. I’m pretty sure they just purchased it. They were passing it to each other , aiming it at the ground near us. I lost it. I said what the heck are u doing, you had to watch the video right?  They didn’t speak much English. Thank God they had cams and the owners cam running in. We packed it up and left. Was a bad experience. 

I've had one bad experience due to a people in the port next to me shooting high and hitting the rail the target moves on. That was the only time I've ever been nervous at a range.

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

I've heard from a few people that they were in the classroom cleaning weapons and an officer didn't clear her striker fired weapon properly before entering the classroom. Supposedly when she pulled the trigger to begin breakdown (heard it was Glock) it discharged into the side of another officer, exited and struck a second officer in the leg. So 2, not 3 shot.

I understand accidents can happen, but this was totally avoidable:

1. Always keep firearm pointed in a safe direction 

2. No ammo in classroom

3. Every gun gets cleared while still on the firing line

4. The person leading the event or a designee confirms everyone has cleared before they enter the classroom

Edited by DJ0808

3 hours ago, DJ0808 said:

when she pulled the trigger to begin breakdown (heard it was Glock) it discharged

And therein lies the reason I don't consider getting a Glock. I always heard that "you have to pull the trigger" to do things like that and that always bothered me. I should never have to pull the trigger to do anything with a gun unless it is to fire it. I know people love Glocks, and I don't begrudge anyone that likes and uses them. But for me, I don't trust myself :) 

4 hours ago, Sako76 said:

Pretty sad she didn’t clear the weapon before pulling the trigger plus pointing it in a safe direction!

TBH I'm surprised that more ranges don't have a firearm discharge box or something similar at the entrance to a classroom or other area with a higher potential for an accidental discharge. 

Something like this:

image.thumb.png.f7e548f32d604d62e042bf3a1c2b1eb6.pngimage.thumb.png.6bde428924aaf5984ae6c2425e854ff8.pngI remember them outside of chow halls, medic areas, and some other spots.