IGNORED

Butcher Time

Nomad

3 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

I didn’t know Goedek did deer? Have you used them before? I usually use BDs but he’s been full since September on and off. My last deer I used KCuts and was very happy but always good to have backup plans. 

Don't know a single person use them and I live in the area. 

3 minutes ago, Rjtfd said:

I didn’t know Goedek did deer? Have you used them before? I usually use BDs but he’s been full since September on and off. My last deer I used KCuts and was very happy but always good to have backup plans. 

Long time ago when I lived in the area.  It was just basic cuts back then.  He was listed in the digest for years I believe too.

9 minutes ago, archer36 said:

No, I don't. I can tell you this, whatever they charge (when compared to other States) it's worth it. I have guys telling me they pay as much as $180 for what we pay around $110. When I go pick up my meat, they have at least three people working there. Couple that with rent, utilities, supplies, equipment expense, etc. They aren't making a killing, just some extra pocket money. How many beef, pig, and sheep carcasses do you think can come into his shop during the off season? I can't see it being enough to make a difference. 

When the Butchers disappear, and you have to drive 100 miles for one, or butcher yourself, you will realize the great service you had. 

I know more than a few good butchers .

They are able to make a full time living at a part time job .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

18 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I know more than a few good butchers .

They are able to make a full time living at a part time job .

That's good to hear. They will stay in business to serve us. They won't be there if it wasn't worth it, but everyone has different needs.  Don't know if it's good enough for you or I. Have no issue with people making a living.  :rofl:

Edited by archer36

31 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I just called them again.  He said it is on the table now and that everything is strictly temp controlled and he has been doing this a long time, no problem.  

All I can say is, tell him you want to sample the meat before you pay for it. You have gotten enough feedback telling you it's not good. I don't agree. If he is telling the truth, you have nothing to worry about. But, if it makes you feel better, sample the meat before paying him. You basically have two choices so pick one. 

Edited by archer36

4 minutes ago, archer36 said:

All I can say is, tell him you want to sample the meat before you pay for it. You have gotten enough feedback telling you it's not good. I don't agree. If he is telling the truth, you have nothing to worry about. But, if it makes you feel better, sample the meat before paying him. You basically have two choices so pick one. 

I'll have my wife eat a piece first....or should I have him eat some and then see how he is feeling the next day?

Edited by Nomad

33 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I just called them again.  He said it is on the table now and that everything is strictly temp controlled and he has been doing this a long time, no problem.  

My guess would be that your deer was probably given to someone else. If you’re near Stanhope Fred the butcher is great. Turn around is less than a week. He works as a commercial butcher full time and does deer on the side

21 minutes ago, Stugots said:

500 - 600 deer per year at 100$ a pop plus taxes and expenses ain't full time wages in this state unless you live in a tent. Maybe if they have a spouse who works.  Definitely a nice side hustle though.  

There are quite a few doing a heck of a lot more than that .

and getting twice that per deer with the extras .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

6 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Ever research how PERFECT  that temp has to stay .

highly doubt a Deer butcher in Nj is doing that .

guys would get 30 pounds of meat back instead of the normal 45-55 

There is a lot more than the right temp for hanging meat that long.   I would also tell him to keep it 

Bunch of lil nervous nellies. Meat doesn’t just go bad overnight in certain conditions. If it doesn’t smell and isn’t slimy it’s perfectly fine. Our nose is all we need to know if food is good or not. I’ve hung many deer over two weeks in garage wrapped in blankets with ice in late fall/winter, dad did the same. Never once got sick, never once bit into a piece that was bad. Some of you sound like the crazy’s that’ll throw out stuff once the artificial “expiration date”hits. 

2 minutes ago, Hitemnasty said:

Bunch of lil nervous nellies. Meat doesn’t just go bad overnight in certain conditions. If it doesn’t smell and isn’t slimy it’s perfectly fine. Our nose is all we need to know if food is good or not. I’ve hung many deer over two weeks in garage wrapped in blankets with ice in late fall/winter, dad did the same. Never once got sick, never once bit into a piece that was bad. Some of you sound like the crazy’s that’ll throw out stuff once the artificial “expiration date”hits. 

You know the conditions.  My dad's uncle was a butcher right from Italy would let deer hang until maggots were on the outside.   Supposedly mest meat ever.

Food does not need to smell to be harmful when bacteria is involved that's a sign.  But dealing with ecoli botchilism etc will not smell and and improper holding can and will breed these especially if an I'll cared for deer guts still in cavity etc could be a recipe fir disaster