IGNORED

Butcher Time

Nomad

44 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

You know the conditions.  My dad's uncle was a butcher right from Italy would let deer hang until maggots were on the outside.   Supposedly mest meat ever.

Food does not need to smell to be harmful when bacteria is involved that's a sign.  But dealing with ecoli botchilism etc will not smell and and improper holding can and will breed these especially if an I'll cared for deer guts still in cavity etc could be a recipe fir disaster

You say maggets on it. Hummm. I don’t know about that. And it don’t take long to go bad. Just a few hours if conditions are not good. Unless I knew the exact conditions that deer was kept for 30 days I would not chance it he could keep it. Smell also means nothing I have a fridge in my garage right now with about 80 pounds of beef and if you open the door there’s a good chance you’ll gag but in about 15 more days I’m gonna have some good beef without any magets

Edited by smittty

1 minute ago, smittty said:

You say magnets on it. Hummm. I don’t know about that. And it don’t take long to go bad. Just a few hours if conditions are not good. Unless I knew the exact conditions that deer was kept for 30 days I would not chance it he could keep it. Smell also means nothing I have a fridge in my garage right now with about 80 pounds of beef and if you open the door there’s a good chance you’ll gag but in about 15 more days I’m gonna have some good beef without any magets

I never tried the maggot theory but those thar knew my dads uncle swore it was the best. 

1 hour ago, hammer4reel said:

There are quite a few doing a heck of a lot more than that .

and getting twice that per deer with the extras .

Also the specialty products there making a lot extra I had a deer done last year all pork roll think it cost me around four hundred

I’ve done a few and believe me at $100 bucks for basic cut or grind maybe you’re making $18 an hour . Then factor in Vacuum bags / containers, sanitation of equipment and disposal of carcass . It’s a labor of love, unless your doing volume which than you have more over head that requires continuous customers it’s a vicious cycle …..  Most times I have a deer back overnight or within two days . I skin quarter and refrigerate the night it’s received ,  butchered the following day . 

1 minute ago, Nanuk said:

I’ve done a few and believe me at $100 bucks for basic cut or grind maybe you’re making $18 an hour . Then factor in Vacuum bags / containers, sanitation of equipment and disposal of carcass . It’s a labor of love, unless your doing volume which than you have more over head that requires continuous customers it’s a vicious cycle …..  Most times I have a deer back overnight or within two days . I skin quarter and refrigerate the night it’s received ,  butchered the following day . 

Yeah. I've made that calculation a few times. It's not worth it to me. I haven't worked for $18 an hour for about 50 years. If I decide to butcher a deer it's because I'm bored or it's on the small side. It takes a lot longer to process a 200 lb buck than a 90 lb doe. I'll pay $110 to butcher a good sized animal any day. 

Granted, when you do it day in and day out, you get more efficient. Maybe it's about double for the average butcher. So about $36 an hour. Then you have overhead, supplies, utilities, equipment, etc. The hourly rate drops back again. If you're doing it out of your garage, not so much. :hmmmer:

5 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Yeah. I've made that calculation a few times. It's not worth it to me. I haven't worked for $18 an hour for about 50 years. If I decide to butcher a deer it's because I'm bored or it's on the small side. It takes a lot longer to process a 200 lb buck than a 90 lb doe. I'll pay $110 to butcher a good sized animal any day. 

Granted, when you do it day in and day out, you get more efficient. Maybe it's about double for the average butcher. So about $36 an hour. Then you have overhead, supplies, utilities, equipment, etc. The hourly rate drops back again. If you're doing it out of your garage, not so much. :hmmmer:

No way it takes a butcher 3 hours to do a deer.

cutting every piece of silver skin off , and doing all the cuts and trimming shouldn’t take them an hour .

then a half hour  for grinding and packaging  at most .

I do all my own and remove every piece of silver skin etc . And I can do it faster than  an hour and a half 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

10 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

cutting every piece of silver skin off , and doing all the cuts and trimming shouldn’t take them an hour .

I do all my own and remove every piece of silver skin etc . And I can do it faster than  an hour and a half 

You remove silver skin from meat you grind also?  If so, why?

I'm in the same boat, I got a call from the butcher about there being an issue with my texas mount and inquired about the last deer I brought in a little over 3 weeks ago myself.

The Buck Stops Here in Columbia. The second one I dropped off took about an extra week due to the boys at the shop losing a close friend and getting an extra day off to mourn their loss. Since then they've been pretty backed up to my understanding.

I haven't heard back so I might be making a phone call by the end of the weekend asking what's going on.

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

8 minutes ago, Nomad said:

You remove silver skin from meat you grind also?  If so, why?

It improves the quality of the meat your eating 

and it really doesn’t take that much effort .

only real area that’s a pain are the shanks , but since we keep them whole the rest is simple .

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, hostak126 said:

I'm in the same boat, I got a call from the butcher about there being an issue with my texas mount and inquired about the last deer I brought in a little over 3 weeks ago myself.

The Buck Stops Here in Columbia. The second one I dropped off took about an extra week due to the boys at the shop losing a close friend and getting an extra day off to mourn their loss. Since then they've been pretty backed up to my understanding.

I haven't heard back so I might be making a phone call by the end of the weekend asking what's going on.

I use The Buck Stops Here also. Never had an issue with them in the past. This year Early bow I dropped off a doe. 3 weeks later hadn’t received a call so I called them. They said it had been done but they had phone issues and weren’t able to get a call out to me. Seemed odd since everyone nowadays has cell phones. 

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

While I agree they’re quicker than I …   I’m taking total time into account , skinning , quartering , preparing garbage then butchering , packaging and cleaning equipment .  It would take me by myself 3-5 hours 🤷🏼‍♂️ .  

2 hours ago, archer36 said:

I haven’t paid to have a deer butchered in 28 years . Knowing that I have my own deer and cleanliness are my biggest factors . It wasn’t about saving 100 bucks that’s for sure, equipment alone is equivalent to having 30 deer butchered . For years prior to doing my own we never received the inner loins or a full back strap . I’ve seen deer in  butcher’s “Coolers” stacked  3 or 4 high waiting to be cut for days on end , no thanks . Not to mention mystery meat “stew”. Everything is trimmed even what I grind, my dad thinks I’m too picky but to each their own, I haven’t had any complaints yet.