IGNORED

Butcher Time

Nomad

Dropped a deer off at the butcher almost 4 weeks ago. Still no call, just curious what happens to a deer all that time is hanging and aging in the cooler or what?  is four weeks too long? I usually do them myself, but this one is for the landowner.

Edited by Nomad

What butcher and have you called them? Some butchers outsource some product to Nello's in PA, and that can take a month so your meat is probably done and frozen, while they are waiting on your deer products. 

(IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ORDERED)

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

If it's being held at temps under 40 degrees, it's OK. If it is skinned, it will lose some weight through dehydration. Also, the dried exterior will be cut away and possibly wasted. Can't really say it will make the meat "age" in the same way beef does. 

Edited by archer36

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

What butcher and have you called them? Some butchers outsource some product to Nello's in PA, and that can take a month so your meat is probably done and frozen, while they are waiting on your deer products. 

I called them four days ago, they said they were doing mine that day still no call. 

7 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I just got steaks and chopped meat. Nothing added.

45 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

As long as meat is kept in the right temperature (aged), there is nothing wrong with it hanging. The "bark" is cut from the exterior at time of butcher, packaged, then frozen.

Dry Aged Beef: What Is It and How Does It Work? – Robb Report

Ever research how PERFECT  that temp has to stay .

highly doubt a Deer butcher in Nj is doing that .

guys would get 30 pounds of meat back instead of the normal 45-55 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Unless this is a butcher specializing in aging venison for it's customers (highly doubtful), I have to imagine something else happened.  After 4 weeks I'd be in the camp of they messed up, your deer went bad or they accidentally gave it to someone else, they were hoping you'd forget and now that you've called, they're probably trying to figure out how to make a deer out of everything else they're butchering.  I could be entirely wrong but in all my years of hunting I've never seen a butcher hold a deer that long, they're usually cutting through dozens to hundreds and want them out of their freezers ASAP to make room for the next customer.

10 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Unless this is a butcher specializing in aging venison for it's customers (highly doubtful), I have to imagine something else happened.  After 4 weeks I'd be in the camp of they messed up, your deer went bad or they accidentally gave it to someone else, they were hoping you'd forget and now that you've called, they're probably trying to figure out how to make a deer out of everything else they're butchering.  I could be entirely wrong but in all my years of hunting I've never seen a butcher hold a deer that long, they're usually cutting through dozens to hundreds and want them out of their freezers ASAP to make room for the next customer.

What you are saying is entirely possible. I hope you are wrong and he is just backlogged. My Butcher has shut down operations 4 times this year because he couldn't keep up. He has a sign that states: Do not expect your deer to be done in less than 7-10 days. Granted, it's not a MONTH. He usually gets it done sooner and sometimes later, but I guess he doesn't want to have guys calling him to check. He has a walk-in cooler so I am not concerned. I have had another Butcher keep a deer for a month because he was overwhelmed. The carcasses were in a refrigerated trailer. Nothing wrong AT ALL with the results. 

So, there are some things we don't know. Is it a controlled climate? If yes, I don't see any issues other than worrying about it. 

Edited by archer36

9 minutes ago, archer36 said:

What you are saying is entirely possible. I hope you are wrong and he is just backlogged. My Butcher has shut down operations 4 times this year because he couldn't keep up. He has a sign that states: Do not expect you deer to be done in less than 7-10 days. Granted, it's not a MONTH. He usually gets it done sooner and sometimes later, but I guess he doesn't want to have guys calling him to check. He has a walk-in cooler so I am not concerned. I have had another Butcher keep a deer for a month because he was overwhelmed. The carcasses were in a refrigerated trailer. Nothing wrong AT ALL with the results. 

So, there are some things we don't know. Is it a controlled climate? If yes, I don't see any issues other than worrying about it. 

Tge climate has to be a constant no moisture laying on meat etc..  I work in food service  and unless I can confirm conditions in thst cooler at all times I am not taking that deer