IGNORED

Butcher Time

Nomad

7 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Shutting down operations because you can't handle the number of deer is a business scaling problem that needs to get fixed.  It's a good problem to have.  Keeping deer in a walk-in for weeks or shutting down and making yourself unreliable isn't the solution.

So, what is the solution? If you are a popular Butcher and get a lot of business, you either shut down so you don't  "KEEP THE DEER FOR A MONTH", or keep it for a month? You are contradicting yourself and don't have a solution. He can't control his volume. If people are happy with him they will continue to use him. If they are not happy, they will find other options and the problem will fix itself....less business. 

Most deer butchers are Part Time. They have full time jobs. They butcher 5 months a year. 

Edited by archer36

Just now, archer36 said:

So, what is the solution? If you are a popular Butcher and get a lot of business, you either shut down so you don't  "KEEP THE DEER FOR A MONTH", or keep it for a month? You are contradicting yourself and don't have a solution. He can't control his volume. If people are happy with him they will continue to use him. If they are not happy, they will find other options and the problem will fix itself....less business. 

Of course I have a solution.  Expand.  Increase your shop size, hire more help.  Unless you're simply not interested in more work and more money and potentially losing customers but are confident they'll be replaced by new ones because of the quality of your work.  Likewise, he could simply increase prices if the demand for his quality is that high.  Either way, it's just not a good look to close shop because you can't handle the work (IMHO).

Also imagine his MO of closing shop and/or taking weeks to return a deer buried his business and he then had no business.  Is that a good outcome for him?  Someone could see the level of demand he has, open a new shop in the area and grab his entire customer base if they are equal quality but always open, always have room and return deer quickly.

Just now, BowhunterNJ said:

Of course I have a solution.  Expand.  Increase your shop size, hire more help.  Unless you're simply not interested in more work and more money and potentially losing customers but are confident they'll be replaced by new ones because of the quality of your work.  Likewise, he could simply increase prices if the demand for his quality is that high.  Either way, it's just not a good look to close shop because you can't handle the work (IMHO).

As I said, most of these operations are PART TIME. It is not economically feasible to have a huge operation for a PART TIME operation. It's pretty expensive processing a deer now. If these guys increased their expenses to bigger facilities, it would drive up costs. What happens if the volume decreased? They will have high expenses and less business. You have to consider BOTH sides, not just one side. 

6 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Also imagine his MO of closing shop and/or taking weeks to return a deer buried his business and he then had no business.  Is that a good outcome for him?  Someone could see the level of demand he has, open a new shop in the area and grab his entire customer base if they are equal quality but always open, always have room and return deer quickly.

Well, it hasn't happened yet.  If anything, butchers are not as plentiful. Choices are less and less. Anyone know of a NEW operation opening up lately? 

Edited by archer36

Just now, archer36 said:

As I said, most of these operations are PART TIME. It is not economically feasible to have a huge operation for a PART TIME operation. It's pretty expensive processing a deer now. If these guys increased their expenses to bigger facilities, it would drive up costs. What happens if the volume decreased? They will have high expenses and less business. You have to consider BOTH sides, not just one side. 

Well if it's not full time, then I guess you don't "need" the work, so it's just nice to have.  In that case, he can run it that way but also has to expect at some point to lose customers or have another business take a piece (or all) of his part time pie.  I don't know, I personally would hate to have messaging that says "I can't take care of you because I can't handle you", but he could always turn it into positive messaging that he is "that" good and is full as a result.  He could always train some help too if he can't find already qualified help.

FWIW, the butcher I used to use and miss dearly worked out of their detached garage and had a cooled trailer for dropping off deer 24/7.  Max couple of days before pickup.   They staffed enough and cut I don't know how many deer a day but many people brought deer there.  Plenty of times that trailer was stuffed to the gills at night before they cut them up the next day.

For the guy closing shop, get bigger/more coolers to where he's never FULL (he will make the money back on the coolers quickly) and hire help to cut more deer.  Same part time hours, just more hands helping (like the butcher I used).  But who knows what he has going on that is limiting that option or time, so if he's working in a way that is good for him and keeps getting him business, then he's doing alright.  Personally I'd never even attempt to go to a butcher like that in fear of driving X miles to find they're "FULL", only to have to go somewhere else.  I'll just go to the somewhere else.

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Well if it's not full time, then I guess you don't "need" the work, so it's just nice to have.  In that case, he can run it that way but also has to expect at some point to lose customers or have another business take a piece (or all) of his part time pie.  I don't know, I personally would hate to have messaging that says "I can't take care of you because I can't handle you", but he could always turn it into positive messaging that he is "that" good and is full as a result.  He could always train some help too if he can't find already qualified help.

FWIW, the butcher I used to use and miss dearly worked out of their detached garage and had a cooled trailer for dropping off deer 24/7.  Max couple of days before pickup.   They staffed enough and cut I don't know how many deer a day but many people brought deer there.  Plenty of times that trailer was stuffed to the gills at night before they cut them up the next day.

For the guy closing shop, get bigger/more coolers to where he's never FULL (he will make the money back on the coolers quickly) and hire help to cut more deer.  Same part time hours, just more hands helping (like the butcher I used).  But who knows what he has going on that is limiting that option or time, so if he's working in a way that is good for him and keeps getting him business, then he's doing alright.  Personally I'd never even attempt to go to a butcher like that in fear of driving X miles to find they're "FULL", only to have to go somewhere else.  I'll just go to the somewhere else.

He communicates the status of the operation on a Facebook page, so you are not driving miles and wasting your time. If you don't like a Butcher for whatever reason, go somewhere else. You will find they are all part time. A way to make extra money. I don't know of one deer butcher that is full time. You can't butcher deer 12 months a year if the season is 5 months long. I have used butchers that stored the deer in a shed and processed in the garage. They were never overwhelmed with work. Can't you see why? Do you think they did it full time and it was their only source of income? I would like a job like that. :up:

3 minutes ago, archer36 said:

He communicates the status of the operation on a Facebook page, so you are not driving miles and wasting your time. If you don't like a Butcher for whatever reason, go somewhere else. You will find they are all part time. A way to make extra money. I don't know of one deer butcher that is full time. You can't butcher deer 12 months a year if the season is 5 months long. I have used butchers that stored the deer in a shed and processed in the garage. They were never overwhelmed with work. Can't you see why? Do you think they did it full time and it was their only source of income? I would like a job like that. :up:

Ely's is a full time butcher, deer during deer season and other animals in other seasons.  He's out in Newtown, PA area.

Closer to central NJ, Godek Farms in Marlboro is a full time butcher and butchers deer during deer season (don't believe any specialty cuts however).

I know a few "backyard" butchers who do excellent work but they also don't run as a "business" or try to get volume by advertising.  If you are posting on Facebook and trying to reach many hunters, you are asking for volume, getting it and then closing down intermittently because you are getting more than you can handle just seems like bad business to me.  In the end, it works itself out.  Local guys who find the butcher convenient will go there first and have a backup plan.  Hunters driving from farther away won't waste their time.

43 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Do you realize how much money the better deer butchers make here in Nj .

they don’t have to work 12 months a year .

most of the better ones , cut beef and pork the other months if they want to stay busy 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

6 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Do you realize how much money the better deer butchers make here in Nj .

they don’t have to work 12 months a year .

most of the better ones , cut beef and pork the other months if they want to stay busy 

No, I don't. I can tell you this, whatever they charge (when compared to other States) it's worth it. I have guys telling me they pay as much as $180 for what we pay around $110. When I go pick up my meat, they have at least three people working there. Couple that with rent, utilities, supplies, equipment expense, etc. They aren't making a killing, just some extra pocket money. How many beef, pig, and sheep carcasses do you think can come into his shop during the off season? I can't see it being enough to make a difference. 

When the Butchers disappear, and you have to drive 100 miles for one, or butcher yourself, you will realize the great service you had. 

37 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Ely's is a full time butcher, deer during deer season and other animals in other seasons.  He's out in Newtown, PA area.

Closer to central NJ, Godek Farms in Marlboro is a full time butcher and butchers deer during deer season (don't believe any specialty cuts however).

I know a few "backyard" butchers who do excellent work but they also don't run as a "business" or try to get volume by advertising.  If you are posting on Facebook and trying to reach many hunters, you are asking for volume, getting it and then closing down intermittently because you are getting more than you can handle just seems like bad business to me.  In the end, it works itself out.  Local guys who find the butcher convenient will go there first and have a backup plan.  Hunters driving from farther away won't waste their time.

I didn’t know Goedek did deer? Have you used them before? I usually use BDs but he’s been full since September on and off. My last deer I used KCuts and was very happy but always good to have backup plans. 

37 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

He posts the status of the space in his cooler. He will give advance notice of a potential shut down so you can be proactive in finding another butcher. He will post the date that he will start taking in deer again. He even takes appointments. I think this is indicative of a great service, not a fly by night. He doesn't post on Facebook to generate business! 

41 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

OK, so a few out of how many? There are probably 50 butchers on our list. I guarantee, vast majority are part time.