IGNORED

spider ID - is this a black widow?

Calling all bug nerds!!

My daughter down in Florida, and her roommates, are freaking out thinking they have a black widow problem. They killed a spider they think was one a few weeks ago, and tonight she sends me this picture (taken in their kitchen) of another they killed... this is a black widow, correct?

I told her "save it and show it to the pest control people" and she is like, "we threw it away obviously. we aren't keeping that on the floor. its nasty and scary looking" :rofl:

I'm like, it can't hurt you know.. it's dead! Besides, you just put it in a zip lock bag and store it in the garage or something and show the pest control guy when he shows up so he knows what he's dealing with. She won't listen to me.

But, still, that sure looks like a black widow to me. But what do I know? I'm not a bug nerd.

image.jpeg.a854d0b6579c37e7197add3d3dc90031.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Rusty said:

That hourglass is unmistakable.  

Yeah, but they can also have a red dotted line with white stripes on their back and no hour glass on the belly. I've killed a few dozen of them on my place this year, both types. 

Screenshot_20230823-215928_Google.jpg

Edited by DV1

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Back in 2018, I was unpacking a server at work and found this guy.  It's the first time I ever saw a black widow.  Then I researched a bit and found out the server came from Mexico.  Now, I'm a little more careful when I unpack them.image.thumb.jpeg.b469168bb14552b05e6725a5d0454b78.jpeg

100% BW.  It’s even worse to be a male BW spider cuz -  after she mates with it she kills it.  Sort of like getting married but a much quicker and more merciful death rather than dragging it out over many years. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

5 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

100% BW.  It’s even worse to be a male BW spider cuz -  after she mates with it she kills it.  Sort of like getting married but a much quicker and more merciful death rather than dragging it out over many years. 

How are relationships a lot like algebra?

Sometimes you look at your X and wonder Y.

===

A dad joke all for you, @JHbowhunter. You're welcome. :D