IGNORED

Deer died on private land

Jackdaniels

Hey everybody. 

So I have barely been out hunting this year. My wife and I had our first kid in October. Hard to hunt with a baby at home. 

Anyways I got the okay from my wife to go hunting today. I managed to shoot a doe around 4pm. This spot is really good and I haven't seen anyone else hunting there. The only problem is there's private land next to me. I hunt about 150 yards away from the edge of their property. I've never had a problem. Until today.

I got a clean pass through with my arrow and the deer took off sprinting right at the private. It was my worst fear. 

Anyways I ran to my work van and tried to make myself look presentable. They have a long driveway. I drove down and knocked on the door. Pretty much in a nut shell I was screamed at and quickly walked away and apologized. 

Is there anything I can do to go get my deer in the morning? Or if they don't give me permission it's coyote food at this point... Definitely the worst experience I've had hunting

4 minutes ago, Jackdaniels said:

Hey everybody. 

So I have barely been out hunting this year. My wife and I had our first kid in October. Hard to hunt with a baby at home. 

Anyways I got the okay from my wife to go hunting today. I managed to shoot a doe around 4pm. This spot is really good and I haven't seen anyone else hunting there. The only problem is there's private land next to me. I hunt about 150 yards away from the edge of their property. I've never had a problem. Until today.

I got a clean pass through with my arrow and the deer took off sprinting right at the private. It was my worst fear. 

Anyways I ran to my work van and tried to make myself look presentable. They have a long driveway. I drove down and knocked on the door. Pretty much in a nut shell I was screamed at and quickly walked away and apologized. 

Is there anything I can do to go get my deer in the morning? Or if they don't give me permission it's coyote food at this point... Definitely the worst experience I've had hunting

Go get it now. They probably are asleep 

I would have called a CO anyway and explain the situation.

What's the worst that could happen? Sure, the CO may tell you that you are out of luck. But the CO may go over to the landowner and help explain things. At least the CO could say, "Look, if you don't let the guy come get it, you are just going to end up having a rotting deer carcass on your property, and it will probably attract coyotes. Unless you attempt to take the deer for yourself, in which case, you would be breaking the law. So you either let the guy come over and get it, or let it sit and rot. Your choice." Maybe the CO would say that, maybe not.. I dunno. :nerd:

1 hour ago, JD48 said:

Could ask a conservation officer to ask for you, but may be too late, yotes may be on it already, did you get a chance to explain the situation to landowner? or maybe they thought you were looking for permission to hunt

I think it's too late for that. And if I call in the morning I think they'll be pretty busy. I managed to get out a few sentences. I could tell immediately they wanted me gone. And it was getting dark I didn't want to be sneaking around their woods with a flashlight. Trust me I debated running in and continue tracking, but it's not worth a trespassing charge 

27 minutes ago, Jackdaniels said:

I think it's too late for that. And if I call in the morning I think they'll be pretty busy. I managed to get out a few sentences. I could tell immediately they wanted me gone. And it was getting dark I didn't want to be sneaking around their woods with a flashlight. Trust me I debated running in and continue tracking, but it's not worth a trespassing charge 

Game warden will help you call in the morning.

7 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Game warden will help you call in the morning.

Property owner has zero obligation to even speak with them. They already showed how they are going to play their hand

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 hour ago, hunterbob1 said:

Yup, he never mentioned the hit just a pass through, double lung would not have made 50

Many don’t , but more than a few do .

there are no absolutes in the distance a deer runs when hit .

some make it 40 yards in a few seconds , some make it 200 yards in that same time .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

2 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Many don’t , but more than a few do .

there are no absolutes in the distance a deer runs when hit .

some make it 40 yards in a few seconds , some make it 200 yards in that same time .

I respect you immensely you're wisdom and experiences,But No way in the world Dan a double lung shot is going to make 200 yd!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt