IGNORED

What’s the best thermos? *Stanley update*

DBuck

2 hours ago, JimC1965 said:

The drying process and high temps of the dishwasher affects the vacuum within the thermos allowing the heat or the chill to be conducted to the outside of the thermos reducing its effectiveness. 

Yeti products survived the dishwasher for years. Heat does nothing to a sealed metal vessel.

4 hours ago, JimC1965 said:

Preheat it for several minutes with hot tap water and never ever put it in the dishwasher to clean.

I do preheat it with hot tap water. 

4 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

How big? I have one of these "Swell" bottles and you would never believe it by just the looks of it, but it keeps cold things cold and hot things hot for a long time. I don't know how big mine is - holds about the same amount of water as in a normal sized water bottle (what is that? 16oz?). I dunno if they make bigger ones. The one I have is small and lightweight. Not cumbersome to carry in a backpack.

UPDATE: these: https://www.swell.com/collections/original-bottles

Looks like they have different models and bigger sizes.

The original bottle (the one I have) says, "It’ll keep your beverage cold for up to 36 hours and hot for up to 18, and maintain a condensation-free exterior so you’ll never have to worry about it sweating in your bag or making water rings on your desk."

I can attest to that. If you leave the lid on, I believe those numbers are probably closer to reality than not. As you take the lid off to drink, just put the lid back on quickly and it will still stay hot for a long time - hours. Maybe not 18, but a long time. You'd definitely make it well past your crap thermos' 9am time.

Thermos size, like 1 liter I guess.

4 hours ago, MikeStaten said:

I have a few Stanley that were bought within the last five years and they work well.  I fill them with hot water and let that sit for a few minutes to heat up the walls and then dump the water and fill with soup, coffee or whatever I want to stay hot in after that and it will keep it hot all day.  

I have the wide soup one and the 1 .1 liter, both went to crap on me. I don't put them in the dishwasher and I do preheat them. Someone gave me an extra one he had tonight that he says works great, we'll see.

2 minutes ago, birdshotnj said:

I have an old green Stanley thermos back when they were made in USA. If you can find one on ebay, grab it. This thing is the 8th wonder of the world.

I had one too that worked great, someone stole from me at work back when I worked construction.

• DBuck changed the title to What’s the best thermos? *stanley update*

So as I said, A friend of mine gve me an extra Stanley thermos that he had. Over 48 hours ago I put scolding hot water in it. I just checked it and it was still hot/warm enough that if it was coffee, I could still drink it. Impressed with this one, it definitely out performed the other 2 new ones I had.

• DBuck changed the title to What’s the best thermos? *Stanley update*
On 12/5/2022 at 4:16 PM, JimC1965 said:

Preheat it for several minutes with hot tap water and never ever put it in the dishwasher to clean.

Yep. Used to boil water….pour it in thermos to get it ready n hot….pour out boiling water after a few mins…then pour in the hot coffee or hot soup. 

I agree with the rest of the YETI fans, expensive but worth the cost.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

On 12/5/2022 at 5:45 PM, JimC1965 said:

The drying process and high temps of the dishwasher affects the vacuum within the thermos allowing the heat or the chill to be conducted to the outside of the thermos reducing its effectiveness. 

How?  A vacuum is a vacuum, meaning there's nothing inside to affect.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.