IGNORED

New Sex Ed curriculum

Timo

2 hours ago, Timo said:

Idk if anybody has seen this but it’s coming to public school in NJ next year. Absolutely disgraceful

https://www.facebook.com/100057778552501/posts/410619727540642/

Yup and that's why my.kids are being home schooled.  All this bs they are pushing down our kids throats is disgusting.   There was a library that was having a cross dressing story time alittle while back and I cousin understand what the hell was going through these peoples minds.  This world is truly going to hell.

12 hours ago, Septicdude said:

Yup and that's why my.kids are being home schooled.  All this bs they are pushing down our kids throats is disgusting.   There was a library that was having a cross dressing story time alittle while back and I cousin understand what the hell was going through these peoples minds.  This world is truly going to hell.

Totally agree Sir! We have been homeschooling my 2 youngest. 

21 minutes ago, OldMenRule said:

If education was more focused on education and not deviancy maybe the country would be better able to compete internationally.  

By design.  Tiktok vs Douyin (China's version of TikTok).

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/joe-rogan-explains-why-tiktok-in-china-is-better-than-the-us-1741211/

As bad as China is in many ways, it does have this vision of improving its society and outcompeting every other country in the world.  Douyin is a good example of awarding the right things, while watching the rest of the world focus on TikTok and awarding worthless things that do nothing to advance your community/society.  Win/Win for China.

Regarding the school curriculum change, we were just talking about this precise article/issue in my house last night.  I don't know what we'll do with our kids, but I certainly don't like the focus of these topics at such a young and highly impressionable age.  I don't think any kids in second grade are in a massive state of confusion/identity complex not knowing how to "identify" themselves such that you need to start educating them and supporting them in it.  Let kids be KIDS and enjoy their youth, natural discovery, natural learning, etc.  Guide their creativity rather than define it and certainly don't force it or pigeonhole it, teach them the empirical life skills (math, logic and reasoning, etc), but don't shape their highly impressionable minds and channel their psyche.  Let THEM discover and ask the questions rather than you TELLING them the questions they should be asking and therefore CREATING the questions in their mind.  That is how anxiety develops.  All of these things will surface naturally anyway, there's no need to push the envelope and prematurely speed up the process, especially to second grade levels.

Just my .02, but it really puts me in an uncertain situation of how I want my own children to be "taught" and where.

4 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

I don't know what we'll do with our kids, but I certainly don't like the focus of these topics at such a young and highly impressionable level.  I don't think any kids in second grade are in a massive state of confusion/identity complex not knowing how to "identify" themselves such that you need to start educating them and supporting them in it.  Let kids be KIDS and enjoy their youth, natural discovery, natural learning, etc.  Guide their creativity rather than define it and certainly don't force it or pigeonhole it, teach them the empirical life skills (math, logic and reasoning, etc), but don't shape their highly impressionable minds and channel their psyche.  Let THEM discover and ask the questions rather than you TELLING them the questions they should be asking and therefore CREATING the questions in their mind.  That is how anxiety develops.  All of these things will surface naturally anyway, there's no need to push the envelope and prematurely speed up the process, especially to second grade levels.

Just my .02, but it really puts me in an uncertain situation of how I want my own children to be "taught" and where.

I agree. Unpopular opinion: I feel the same way about church/ccd and any organized religion.  We shouldn't be exposing our kids to this kind of stuff either.  Stop indoctrinating your children in to a cult that they don't have any choice to get out of.  At an age-appropriate level, expose your children to the basic tenets of each religion (if they ask).  At the age of 18 they can choose which religion they'd like to follow.  Brainwashing is brainwashing, no matter what the subject matter is.  the goal of being a parent' is to teach your children HOW to critically think, not WHAT to think. 

7 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

I agree. Unpopular opinion: I feel the same way about church/ccd and any organized religion.  We shouldn't be exposing our kids to this kind of stuff either.  Stop indoctrinating your children in to a cult that they don't have any choice to get out of.  At an age-appropriate level, expose your children to the basic tenets of each religion (if they ask).  At the age of 18 they can choose which religion they'd like to follow.  Brainwashing is brainwashing, no matter what the subject matter is.  the goal of being a parent' is to teach your children HOW to critically think, not WHAT to think. 

Well I think it's the job of the parents to raise their kids and shaping beliefs is part of that.  I'm personally not religious, but I can see how it plays a role in family life and upbringing as much as hunting, fishing, etc does.  There is a line of raising/teaching versus indoctrinating.  If we always just waited for them to discover everything, there would be a lot they never would.  And I think that's where things get challenging, as we all have our own set of beliefs and often expect others to have the same and certainly for our children to assuming we believe in our own lifestyle and way of life.

Where I start to have a problem is when teachers are directly conflicting with my set of beliefs and the structure I'm trying to provide to guiding my children's lives.  I'm a logical person, so when emotion becomes the driving force and supersedes logic, I identify that as a core problem in the approach.  And that is precisely what "education" is becoming, and it's at the detriment of our society.  And truly, what has elevated all of these "issues" isn't that LACK of teaching/information but the ABUNDANCE of information out there (internet) that is adversely impacting the psychological composure of young minds.  While the internet offers some tremendously beneficial information, it probably has 10x the amount of damaging information (on a variety of levels).  Most adults can handle that, many can't.  Children on the other hand are ripe with insecurity and developing a sense of self, but are subject to constant (and often negative) feedback loops (social media likes [or not getting likes], Instagram/TikTok view counts/comments, etc).  Rather than building them up, it's knocking them down to the point where they feel they're not enough, not doing enough, not attractive enough, not happy enough and it just snowballs.  This of course is where parents can and should play a role in redirecting and channeling that course, but it's not always possible to compete effectively against technology (you're one person versus thousands at their fingertips) without removing or significantly limiting the access to technology (which they'll often get through a friend who isn't being limited).

I don't have a history to parenting to compare to other than my own parents, but this has to be one of the most challenging times to be a parent with a lot working against you on a pace humans can't counter very well (human vs technology). 

Also wanted to add, I'm not a proponent of anti-patterns to societal maturation. 

You don't defeat racism by focusing on ONE group, or creating isolated/segregated programs that are contrary to unity and then call everyone else racist who challenges that approach.  You want unity, then focus on unity TOGETHER, not in selective groups while outcasting others.  That is the epitome of the very thing you are claiming you want to change and fix, welcome to absolute hypocrisy.

You don't strengthen mental/emotional maturity and durability by awarding everyone.  Life isn't fair, it's a cornerstone of understanding and accepting it.  That doesn't mean life doesn't suck sometimes or isn't outright tragic, but that is the part that needs to be understood and accepted as normal in life (it can happen and does happen and not only to you), not trying to shape it to where that is abnormal and everything is "good" when it actually is the polar opposite of good. 

Everyone shouldn't get a trophy just so they don't feel left out.  Failing is part of learning, failing offers a path to improving and that path and succeeding is what offers the award.  You completely rob children of learning and developing that blueprint in life when you start awarding when they have failed or lost.  The award is to teach them it's OK to fail, and teach them the path to learning from it.  It's not to give them a trophy that matches the one who didn't fail.

I can go on and on, but there are undoubtedly efforts (either by design or simply by choosing emotion over logic) that are contrary to helping people and are far more detrimental to our society in both the short and long term.  No different than making guns the target to stopping shootings while ignoring the underlying causes that prompt someone to want to shoot others.

1 minute ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Well I think it's the job of the parents to raise their kids and shaping beliefs is part of that.  I'm personally not religious, but I can see how it plays a role in family life and upbringing as much as hunting, fishing, etc does.  There is a line of raising/teaching versus indoctrinating.  If we always just waited for them to discover everything, there would be a lot they never would.  And I think that's where things get challenging, as we all have our own set of beliefs and often expect others to have the same and certainly for our children to assuming we believe in our own lifestyle and way of life.

Where I start to have a problem is when teachers are directly conflicting with my set of beliefs and the structure I'm trying to provide to guiding my children's lives.  I'm a logical person, so when emotion becomes the driving force and supersedes logic, I identify that as a core problem in the approach.  And that is precisely what "education" is becoming, and it's at the detriment of our society.  And truly, what has elevated all of these "issues" isn't that LACK of teaching/information but the ABUNDANCE of information out there (internet) that is adversely impacting the psychological composure of young minds.  While the internet offers some tremendously beneficial information, it probably has 10x the amount of damaging information (on a variety of levels).  Most adults can handle that, many can't.  Children on the other hand are ripe with insecurity and developing a sense of self, but are subject to constant (and often negative) feedback loops (social media likes [or not getting likes], Instagram/TikTok view counts/comments, etc).  Rather than building them up, it's knocking them down to the point where they feel they're not enough, not doing enough, not attractive enough, not happy enough and it just snowballs.  This of course is where parents can and should play a role in redirecting and channeling that course, but it's not always possible to compete effectively against technology (you're one person versus thousands at their fingertips) without removing or significantly limiting the access to technology (which they'll often get through a friend who isn't being limited).

I don't have a history to parenting to compare to other than my own parents, but this has to be one of the most challenging times to be a parent with a lot working against you on a pace humans can't counter very well (human vs technology). 

I agree with you Matt.  There is absolutely a  line of teaching vs indoctrinating.  Most religious folks are indoctrinating.  If you make your kids go to CCD, you aren't teaching.  If you force them to go through their 7 Sacraments, that's indoctrination.   Very few folks "teach" their children religious ideology without actually making them "believe" it to be true. I consider myself fortunate that my parents were a part of that minority.  My father was raised Catholic and my mother was raised Jewish.  I was taught about both, as well as other sects of Judeo-Christianity. I also learned about Buddhism, Hinduism and whatever else I was interested in.  I was never Baptized or made to go through any brainwashing and as I grew, I developed my own views on the subject.  

I don't have a problem with age-appropriate discussions about sexuality whether in school or out of school.  I do have a problem with force-feeding information to children, or using non age-appropriate terminology or materials, which is what we are seeing with this woke movement.  I actually feel badly for most gay/bisexual or and other LGBTQ teachers who just want to go to school and teach and not be the ones having these discussions or forcing any ideology on to the children whom they work with.  Let the kids be kids and figure themselves out.  Childhood and adolescence is hard enough as it is.  Teach equality and acceptance.  If a child feels differently or thinks they may be different, then they need to know they are loved and accepted and they also need to know there are resources available and people for them to speak with.  If we taught love and acceptance from the beginning, then the child who feels differently would be comfortable to just be themselves no matter what.  

Unfortunately, technology is what is causing the drastic overexposure to negative feedback loops and that is just a new reality that we all have to navigate as parents.  We need to teach our kids how to critically think and evaluate those situations more than ever now 

In the "great state of NJ" you are free to educate your children at home. 

You are free to teach them the values that matter to your own family, if of course this matters to you.  If not, they will learn the values of others and what the state deems is important as evidenced by this crap.

The State Dept of Ed states that the local districts will have some discretion in the curriculum, and that parents will be able to opt-out of certain things. They weren't more clear.

All this CRT and other stuff ... I don't know what is real and what is baloney. You have big mouths on cable news channels keeping people outraged so they can sell commercials. But, certainly, parents will be more aware of their kids' curriculums at school. Many parents never even cared at all.

And, be aware of individual teachers' personal beliefs that they may be bringing into their social science classrooms.

I'm starting to have grandchildren now ... I, and my sons, will be making any needed corrections to things taught at school. And, as the kids' gain reasoning skills, help them see why progressives are even doing these things in the first place.

It's an unfortunate situation.

1 hour ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Well I think it's the job of the parents to raise their kids and shaping beliefs is part of that.  I'm personally not religious, but I can see how it plays a role in family life and upbringing as much as hunting, fishing, etc does.  There is a line of raising/teaching versus indoctrinating. ...

Faith integrates with hunting, and the great beautiful outdoors. Makes them even better. Does in my family, anyway.

6 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

That was just painted with a very broad stroke.

On purpose.  How many "religious" people do you know who are willing to have open-minded conversations with anyone, including their children, where those conversations include the possibility that they may be incorrect about any number of details in regards to their beliefs?  How many "religious" people do you know who never made their kids go to church/temple, etc unless the kid actually wanted to?