IGNORED

Apprentice License

Rusty

Sorry Just another Money Grab By NJDFAG There is No Common Sense reason to Skip the Hunter Safety Course,  

I hunted with a Junior Hunting Lic at 10 yeras old and when I applied for a Reg, lic I think 3 -4 yeras Later the rules change and had to then take the Safety Course. Took Bow at 23 yo Black Powder Rifle  Safety in my 60s, 

To depend on So called Adult to supervise a Minor is  a bad idea. 

animated-American-flag-white-background-2018.gif

Been around for a couple years now I think. It's for people that want to know what this hunting thing is all about but don't want to spend the time and money to take the test and spend a Saturday morning going through the field test only to find out it isn't for them.

I'm fine with it - you can only have an apprentice license at most 2 years and then you have to take the course field test. So it isn't like you get out of having to take the tests and go through the official education. And when hunting with an apprentice license you MUST be with a licensed hunter/mentor (you can't be by yourself and your mentor in another tree stand for example - they must be with you the whole time you are hunting).

I find you learn more from an in-person mentor than a book anyway.

This should hopefully get more people at least to kick the tires and try hunting. This new apprentice license is just as much for adults as it is for youth.

16 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Been around for a couple years now I think. It's for people that want to know what this hunting thing is all about but don't want to spend the time and money to take the test and spend a Saturday morning going through the field test only to find out it isn't for them.

I'm fine with it - you can only have an apprentice license at most 2 years and then you have to take the course field test. So it isn't like you get out of having to take the tests and go through the official education. And when hunting with an apprentice license you MUST be with a licensed hunter/mentor (you can't be by yourself and your mentor in another tree stand for example - they must be with you the whole time you are hunting).

I find you learn more from an in-person mentor than a book anyway.

This should hopefully get more people at least to kick the tires and try hunting. This new apprentice license is just as much for adults as it is for youth.

No need for $$$$$$ Any Apprentice Lic.  Anyone can Tag along with a Family - Friend on a Trip Afield   One can Experience the Sport by Participation. Example my Son tagged along  at 8 yo Scouting Hiking Posting till he got his Junior LIC Loved Small game hunting But on a hunt with me deer Hunting and my Harvesting a Deer The process from the Start to finish changed his Mind and told me Dad i don't care to hunt anymore.  Ending a Long Line of generations of Hunters.   

1 hour ago, 1957Buck said:

There is No Common Sense reason to Skip the Hunter Safety Course,  

I totally agree with 1957Buck !

Let the individual who thinks they may want to hunt, tag along, for a  season or two and learn the ropes, then, take the safety course, if still interested.

There are too many licensed individuals out there  (we cite instances of them every year on this forum) that shouldn't be, and having them as a mentor for someone just isn't a good idea.

Edited by RPK0620

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

1 hour ago, 1957Buck said:

Sorry Just another Money Grab By NJDFAG There is No Common Sense reason to Skip the Hunter Safety Course,  

I hunted with a Junior Hunting Lic at 10 yeras old and when I applied for a Reg, lic I think 3 -4 yeras Later the rules change and had to then take the Safety Course. Took Bow at 23 yo Black Powder Rifle  Safety in my 60s, 

Your last sentence actually makes my brain hurt. If an adult cannot supervise or mentor youth, who should mentor or supervise our youth?  Perhaps you are not a parent, I don’t know. 

Also, you can mentor another adult that is considering getting into hunting. This program is an excellent program and is working. I may be taking my 62 year old neighbor in the fall. He’s not sure if he wants to commit to buying a shotgun and taking the hunter safety course until he’s had a chance to experience it for himself. Perfect fit for the apprentice license. 

19 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Your last sentence actually makes my brain hurt. If an adult cannot supervise or mentor youth, who should mentor or supervise our youth?  Perhaps you are not a parent, I don’t know. 

Also, you can mentor another adult that is considering getting into hunting. This program is an excellent program and is working. I may be taking my 62 year old neighbor in the fall. He’s not sure if he wants to commit to buying a shotgun and taking the hunter safety course until he’s had a chance to experience it for himself. Perfect fit for the apprentice license. 

I refer you to RPK0620  Reply tp my Post  for a common sense post       In today's world the term Adult for the vast Majority  Sorry for the Brain Hurt And yes I am a Parent & that remark shows who I am up against, So called adults to day fit into many categories' from Responsible to  Irresponsible nothing new. 

So you want to take a 62 yo hunting in the fall good for you  that is not sure of it, ????   Like I said bring him along on a few Hunts with a Gun is irrelevant AS I accompanied my Father 4 yeras before I was 10 to get a Junior Lic,  As MY SON And Daughter did both got Their Lic at 14 -15 respectfully Taking the Hunting Course, Daughter never went afield my Son Lasted 2 Seasons and dropped out.   My Great grandfather his father and my father hunted all their lives and I grew up around Hunting Shooting to my 60 + some years of both. Not some Adult used as a loose term here that may have no background maybe only 1 year experience, Or 17 yo be a Mentor for anything. 

Apprenticeships are just that Working along to Learn in Stages from Observing to using Tools.  Not a Deadly Weapon day one. 

In all do Respect you have to get out more into the NJ Country's MOST with so Called Failing Adults and Minors but I must agree most have Firearm Experience,  Sorry No need for another Money Grab to add Numbers to a Failing Sport as Licenced Hunters Fisherman in NJ decrease in Numbers it is either Raise Lic Fees Add to Them in Method's Seasons Cut back on Numbers and Quality of Stocked Fish & Game. Added Opportunities to attract Sportsman - Woman - Minors.  

:offtopic:Just as the Federated Sportsman Aso, NRA have lost Membership for going off the Tracks NJDFAG is just Grabiing for members doing the same. 

Hope that Headache subsides so you do not become a Sheepeople. THe System as broken as it is works without any Apprenticeship BS.   

4 minutes ago, 1957Buck said:

I refer you to RPK0620  Reply tp my Post  for a common sense post       In today's world the term Adult for the vast Majority  Sorry for the Brain Hurt And yes I am a Parent & that remark shows who I am up against, So called adults to day fit into many categories' from Responsible to  Irresponsible nothing new. 

So you want to take a 62 yo hunting in the fall good for you  that is not sure of it, ????   Like I said bring him along on a few Hunts with a Gun is irrelevant AS I accompanied my Father 4 yeras before I was 10 to get a Junior Lic,  As MY SON And Daughter did both got Their Lic at 14 -15 respectfully Taking the Hunting Course, Daughter never went afield my Son Lasted 2 Seasons and dropped out.   My Great grandfather his father and my father hunted all their lives and I grew up around Hunting Shooting to my 60 + some years of both. Not some Adult used as a loose term here that may have no background maybe only 1 year experience, Or 17 yo be a Mentor for anything. 

Apprenticeships are just that Working along to Learn in Stages from Observing to using Tools.  Not a Deadly Weapon day one. 

In all do Respect you have to get out more into the NJ Country's MOST with so Called Failing Adults and Minors but I must agree most have Firearm Experience,  Sorry No need for another Money Grab to add Numbers to a Failing Sport as Licenced Hunters Fisherman in NJ decrease in Numbers it is either Raise Lic Fees Add to Them in Method's Seasons Cut back on Numbers and Quality of Stocked Fish & Game. Added Opportunities to attract Sportsman - Woman - Minors.  

:offtopic:Just as the Federated Sportsman Aso, NRA have lost Membership for going off the Tracks NJDFAG is just Grabiing for members doing the same. 

Hope that Headache subsides so you do not become a Sheepeople. THe System as broken as it is works without any Apprenticeship BS.   

I think you are missing the point.....and it is all doom & gloom for you. 

The apprentice program is a simple introduction to hunting. It lets people see the sport without fully committing. Some wouldn't go take course without first seeing if they like hunting. It allows one to decide if they want to hunt. I once had a non hunting friend explain that NJ doesn't make it easy for someone that doesn't hunt nor has anyone around them that hunts. This site and an apprentice program helps people get into hunting 

. I agree that it’s a great program. I’ve been able to use it to get several people out in the woods who were on the fence, wanting to try it but not quite ready to take the test or invest in equipment. I also take the time to go over gun safety and take them to the range before I take them in the field; which is common sense in my opinion. I’d be curious to see if there were a lot, or any citations/accidents involving apprentices in NJ. I don’t think the program is that well known among sportsmen to be honest. Virtually everyone is surprised when I tell them about it.

I should be working ... there's always tomorrow

1 minute ago, JimmyScags said:

. I agree that it’s a great program. I’ve been able to use it to get several people out in the woods who were on the fence, wanting to try it but not quite ready to take the test or invest in equipment. I also take the time to go over gun safety and take them to the range before I take them in the field; which is common sense in my opinion. I’d be curious to see if there were a lot, or any citations/accidents involving apprentices in NJ. I don’t think the program is that well known among sportsmen to be honest. Virtually everyone is surprised when I tell them about it.

This apprentice thing is good it foes need some tweaking ie how many apprentices can be with one mentor etc.

What I can tell you is hunting incidents have risen since the three day course has stopped.

I think the apprentice program is a good thing. Regardless of child or adult the apprentice is required to be accompanied by a mentor. 

An adult can take the safety course and go hunting without a mentor. The safety course is great but there are decisions and situations that can only be learned with the help of a mentor. The apprentice program forces the new hunter to learn from an experienced hunter rather than own their own. 

I'm your Huckleberry :devious: