IGNORED

Best hunt you ever been on?

30 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

With all the different game I have hunted one “epic” hunt will always stand out simply because we could not believe our eyes. Hunting a small swamp near me 20 minutes before shooting time ended(1/2hour before sunset) wood ducks were circling in groups of 7-10. As each group committed(feet down) We started shooting ducks, other groups committed while we were shooting landing in the water infront of us. Loading as fast as we could woodies just kept coming in. In less than 20 minutes we were limited out and sat there for another 20 minutes just watching flock after flock divebomb this tiny location. Just before dark we ventured into the water to retrieve all our ducks. There had to be over 80 woodies in a small swamp pocket maybe 40yrds in diameter. Truly a sight to see and nothing like that have I ever encountered again

That literally sounds like heaven!! First to have woodies circle and drop but to have them keep coming?! Awesome! I waterfowl hunt more than any other hunting of mine and only really have ever done pass shooting on woodies. I’d imagine I would have had the same reaction!

my first buck. was a stupid looking spike lol but its still hanging on my wall. took the first 3 years of deer hunting to get that. i guess i suck at hunting. 

another hunt was when i shot my biggest buck to date. a 10 pointer with a split brow tine. i saw everything that morning, fox, ducks, geese, turkeys, does, and finally the 10 pointer walked out of a thicket after a couple does came through. didnt have the money to get it mounted at the time, so i got the hide tanned and skull cap. 

and when i had my first mallards commit to my decoys and calling

to many memories. why i love the outdoors. 

Few hunts come to mind....

My first ever guided hunt....Archery Bear in New Brunswick, Canada....5 hours on stand and a took a 300 lb bear, after 60 days 17-3/4"

2003 first year NJ had a bear hunt in recent years, saw this bear a few times during the bear season, on the last day of the bear hunt at 9am he was running and I took a 50 yard shot, Lightfield slug found it's mark, that hunt looking back means more then it did then, I hunted with a great friend who passed away from cancer 4 years ago

My first Illinois hunt, took a buck with the bow and shotgun....bow kill he was over 200 lbs, the shotgun kill was just under 200 lbs

My last Illinois hunt, I was out there for 2 days and a family emergency occured, rushed home (driving) it ended up being a paperwork mistake by the hospital, repacked the truck and drove back out, but it rained all of bow season honestly maybe only a few days had small breaks in the rain, and I was out saw some deer.....Day before gun season, the skies cleared but I couldn't make to the farm I hunted the stream was ranging, so off to another farm 3/4 of mile away, I would have to hunt off the ground so I took a milk crate and made a ground blind.....Next day I was in it, two coyotes walked by me in the corn field, then a basket 8 with a doe....around 0830 I hear deer below me down a ridge, coming out of the thick briars are 6 mature does and the last is a rack, he stopped broadside and I shot and Hornady SST 20ga (using my H&R Ultra Deluxe) found it's make at just over 50 yards, down he went....He's my biggest buck rack and body

217295_1025965622330_8646_n.jpg

11990406_10206944273798263_60427905279556759_n.jpg

216827_1025964982314_7909_n.jpg

Edited by BHC

Hard to pick just one...     OK-- On a New York Fall Turkey Hunt , I was just over a Swamp area where, I knew a large Family Flock of Turkeys always seemed to be. Sitting next to a Huge Boulder, I called plenty for over 1 Hour. Lost Yelps,Kee Kee Runs, you name it.     I happened to look up the Ridge for the Hundreth Time and Lo + Behold-- 4 HUGE GOBBLERS FLEW DOWN!! More like dropped down to the Top of the Steep Ridge. They stay in sight for less then 1 Minute and started to feed along the Top Flat out of sight. I ran up that STEEP Ridge as fast as, I could.  I tried to hide the fast footfalls + Heavy Breathing as, I neared the Top. Too Late!   A Huge Gobbler came back to investigate the Noise coming up that Ridge. We saw each other at the same time and, I let him have it. The old Mossberg 835 Pump did its Job again. I remember that Gobbler at being over 21lbs.  The others Sprinted on away. This was at a Time when 2 Fall Turkeys could be taken in 1 day.   I was most Happy with the 1 Tom.  They are very hard to take in the Fall Season.    I believe that Gobbler was at least 3 years old.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

My best and most memorable was a hunt for big fish !

Back in 2004 my best friend who I fly fished with here in NJ, NY & PA for trout and the beaches for blues with said "How would you like to go hunt up some really huge fish ?" I said "sure, what kind and where?" He replied, "Northern Pike & Lake Trout in Northern Manitoba. My brother in law runs a trip there and there are 2 openings. Oh, by the way they all fish spinning rods and you and I will fish with fly rods."  Went that year and again in 2005.

We went the last week in June both years and fished the ice out (last picture) We caught fish on almost every cast which after 5 days of fishing a full day actually became a bit boring.

My best fish were in 2004  a 42" Great Northern and the following year a 35" Lake Trout.

laker.jpg

northern1.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Edited by RPK0620

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

my greatest hunt has to be my last buck hunt...  How could it not be? To watch an absolute giant buck that didn't seem to belong in NJ, of which I had no clue existed, watch him work every doe from 3 fields out and over 600 yards away for an hour, gradually working its way toward my with time running out, then to have the last and only does he didn't check out walk right  by me at very last light and have him come in on a string  (no calling, just be prepared to shoot and try to keep it together).   Still in shock!     It could never happen that way in any other situation - I know my father brought me that buck from heaven and hunting will be different from now on for me... 

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2604-orig.JPG

IMG_E1487.JPG

IMG_E1484.JPG

IMG_E1435.JPG

IMG_E1433.JPG

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….