IGNORED

Best hunt you ever been on?

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye57 said:

Sick of the politics.

Is there politic talk going on? People need to add those forums to their ignore list :) I'm blissfully ignorant and have been talking trail cameras and hunting education courses here :up:

I have no epic hunt stories, but I'll never forget my first (and only) bow deer harvest . Shot the quartering-to deer in the neck  and spent the rest of the day with a dog tracker trying to find it and then my buddy helping me drag it out the 400 yards through thick crap and a small flooded marshy area. Good times! I'll never take a shot like that again :D 

7 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Is there politic talk going on? People need to add those forums to their ignore list :) I'm blissfully ignorant and have been talking trail cameras and hunting education courses here :up:

I have no epic hunt stories, but I'll never forget my first (and only) bow deer harvest . Shot the quartering-to deer in the neck  and spent the rest of the day with a dog tracker trying to find it and then my buddy helping me drag it out the 400 yards through thick crap and a small flooded marshy area. Good times! I'll never take a shot like that again :D 

I wish I could.  There is no easy way to do it that I can find.  I can just pick a forum and ignore it?

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Deer hunting is Saskatchewan was a lot of fun.  Camped 5 miles into the wilderness, in nice heated wall tents.  Big bucks running all around.  Weights averaged about 275 live weight.  My friend got one 300.  Cold as heck! 

post-542-0-46798100-1517537665_thumb.jpg,

1450473686646.jpg

Great deer

12 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Deer hunting is Saskatchewan was a lot of fun.  Camped 5 miles into the wilderness, in nice heated wall tents.  Big bucks running all around.  Weights averaged about 275 live weight.  My friend got one 300.  Cold as heck! 

post-542-0-46798100-1517537665_thumb.jpg,

1450473686646.jpg

Damn!!!!!! What did you take him with?

21 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Nothing worse than a long deer drag! Just last season I almost had a mental breakdown trying to get a deer out of the marsh haha had to go home and get waders and a life vest! Longest 100 yards I’ll ever go through for a doe no less! 

With all the different game I have hunted one “epic” hunt will always stand out simply because we could not believe our eyes. Hunting a small swamp near me 20 minutes before shooting time ended(1/2hour before sunset) wood ducks were circling in groups of 7-10. As each group committed(feet down) We started shooting ducks, other groups committed while we were shooting landing in the water infront of us. Loading as fast as we could woodies just kept coming in. In less than 20 minutes we were limited out and sat there for another 20 minutes just watching flock after flock divebomb this tiny location. Just before dark we ventured into the water to retrieve all our ducks. There had to be over 80 woodies in a small swamp pocket maybe 40yrds in diameter. Truly a sight to see and nothing like that have I ever encountered again

AWM

The one and only time I went to Co for elk.  Won the trip in a contest by getting the heaviest deer.  That was a good hunt by itself.  Started out for work, but the roads were a sheet of ice and nobody was making it up Hamburg mt.  Winds were over 30mph.  I decided to turn around and go hunting.  No cell phone at the time, so by boss was pissed I didn't call out, but it was worth it.  Got in the woods around 10, worked my way through some cedars to a hillside and seen a buck chasing a doe back and forth 3/4 the way up.  They went off to my right and I headed up to the same trail with my little windwalker stand on my back.  Too windy in the open woods, so I went left toward a stand of hemlocks to set up on the trail.  Wasn't a minute gone by, and I was still in the open woods when I heard a grunt coming from the hemlocks.  I nocked an arrow, got down on one knee and drew just as the buck came out.  He came to a halt 10yds in front of me and I released.  178# dressed, and I was pulling thick layers of fat out thinking of the drag and not the contest.

Got to Co the next Sept and it was snowing.  Had a cow elk stand in front of me looking me in the eyes just a few feet away the first night, then passed on a thin rack 5pt with a droptine that almost ran me over another day.  Came up on a cow elk in a meadow while stillhunting with a rookie guide in toe, and had to freeze in the open with just a little bush in front of me.  Few more came into the meadow with a nice 6x6 following.  They went around to my right to where the guide was, but I was only paying attention to the bull 40yds in front of me.  I drew when his head was in the grass feeding, but noticed my pin just cleared the bush and thought the arrow would hit it so I held back waiting for him to take another step.  I must have held back for nearly two minutes when I decided it was shoot or let it down and get busted.  I forgot all about the bush or I could have raised up a few inches, hit the top of it and watched the arrow plane up into the loin.  Not much blood, but was able to track him the next morning and kicked him up on the other side of a big log just 5yds from me.  SOB!