IGNORED

HUGE UPDATE!!!!!Pa cabin burglary....horrible

Unfortunately, hunting camps are easy targets for drug addicts needing some quick funds.  There's often some guns, knives, microwaves, etc. that can be flipped for quick cash.  We once had a convicted escaped felon living in one of our trailers in Potter County back in the late 70s until PA State Police finally caught up with him.  We left absolutely NOTHING in our cabins/trailers to be stolen and left all doors and windows inside open so they could see there was nothing to steal.  Never had another issue after that.  We also invited the locals in for beer so they could also see there was nothing of value left behind.  Word gets out if you know what I mean....

That’s a bitch. I had a very secluded place in central Vermont that I bought when I got out of high school. I had saved a bunch of money for college and didn’t end up going so, my pop said to buy real estate. I kept it til a few years ago and sold it at a huge profit so, my pop was right. Anyway, in all those years I only had two incidents. Once, someone cut down a nice pine tree I had in my side yard. It was about 5 feet tall and shaped perfectly. It was stolen in early December so, put 2 and 2 together and you get a free Christmas tree. When I replaced it, I cut the top off so that ended that problem. I was broken into once. Snowmobilers I assume. They broke out a small side window, lit the wood stove and ate whatever food was in there. The water system was drained down so, nothing to freeze. They were prolly just cold aand hungry. They didn’t screw the place up and the broken window is all I had to fix so, I was very lucky. At least they didn’t trash the place or burn it down fooling with the wood stove. I really never kept anything there to steal other than a single shot .22 and they would have had to be pretty slick to find it. I had a separate generator shed and the generator was an old monster that would take 4 guys to get out. I was very fortunate for all those years...

• 2 weeks later...

I own some vacant land (100 acres) with partners in Delaware County NY, bought the property in 1981.  Never really had any trouble with locals, told them during deer season that when we left the Wednesday before Thanksgiving they could hunt it, they never did from what we know (no new tracks on road).  Our biggest issues were with two neighbors.  A NYC guy moved in to his mothers house with his girlfriend and her kids.  Her kids used the license plate on my Airstream as a target and blasted holes in the trailer, never did catch them.

We gave our other neighbors (2 people) from Bergen County permission to deer hunt and the rest of the group thought they had the run of our place, it was tough to deal with.  After 40 years, two of the original owners are dead and the remaining guys don't go up because the property is steep and hard to hunt for guys in their 60's.  Anybody want to buy some hunting land?

Edited by Sako76

• nmc02 changed the title to HUGE UPDATE!!!!!Pa cabin burglary....horrible

Kids by me in ny smashed windows n broke in and made a mess a few times.   The freaking worst was when they emptied a commercial sized fire extinguisher all over the house 

One year they pulled My garden fence down and pulled out all my plants

Cops went and talked to both kids in the area homes it may slow them down for that year but I noticed once the kids got 1718 And got cars I didn’t have any more problems.  It’s was 5 or 6 times in 3 years.   I never understood what kids got out of destroying other peoples property.  

My buddies cabin in fishes Eddie ny wich back than was only used once or twice a year.  We went up  in late winter to make sure all was good for a couple nights.  First night about 2 am door opens I thank God we recognized his voice as all the slack was out of trigger.  Turns out he was using the place as a Batchelor pad eith his girlfriend when no one was there.   Not doing damage per say but breaking in

Edited by vdep217