IGNORED

Need help finding a shed!

VFL

10 hours ago, smittty said:

Congrats I know I wouldn't have the balls to take that deer. You must be going nuts. I will say a prayer for you and cross my fingers and toes. Keep us posted 

I agree 100% with the exception of if I had him on cam every single day and knew he didn’t stray from an exact pattern with a confirmed bedding location. But I’ve never had that happen myself!

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

21 hours ago, rocky said:

I myself would not have the balls to shoot a one sided buck like that. 

I have to disagree.  

My daughter and I had a similar experience with a big buck that she hunted hard for and finally took as a half rack.  That buck is the most memorable deer that either of us has ever taken.  While other bucks gather dust on the wall the memories of this buck, the hunt, and the follow up afterwards live on stronger than any other deer in our house.  If it had had both sides when she shot it it would have been just another rack on the wall for spiders to build webs in.  

20 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I have to disagree.  

My daughter and I had a similar experience with a big buck that she hunted hard for and finally took as a half rack.  That buck is the most memorable deer that either of us has ever taken.  While other bucks gather dust on the wall the memories of this buck, the hunt, and the follow up afterwards live on stronger than any other deer in our house.  If it had had both sides when she shot it it would have been just another rack on the wall for spiders to build webs in.  

I don't think I would take a one half rack. However; we all take something different from hunting. It maybe the kill of mature buck is more important to someone than having a complete rack. If half rack makes you happy and you end up with great memory then more power to you. 

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

I have to disagree.  

I can make whatever kind of racks I want to, but I still would not shoot a half rack buck myself. Hunting is about making choices and if this hunters choice made him happy then God Bless him.

81847249_10216542874790582_5039239932455

82245756_10216542950032463_6666670695235

Edited by rocky

5 hours ago, delvalhunter said:

I agree 100% with the exception of if I had him on cam every single day and knew he didn’t stray from an exact pattern with a confirmed bedding location. But I’ve never had that happen myself!

We'll get at it and find that shed. I'm hanging on the edge of my seat here 

Get a dog that can shed hunt, spend a day and try to track that thing down. Even if you don't find it - mount that thing with a single side and have a piece on the wall you can talk about for the rest of your life.. "Remember that time? I was hunting this huge buck for 2 years, I finally get him in range, and he's missing half his antlers... I shoot anyway with the hopes of hunting down the other side. I got a dog and we looked for an entire day walking this entire stretch of woods! Never did find it - but boy do I remember it like it was yesterday!"

You'll have a mount you can tell a cool story and reminisce  even if it just has one side (especially if it has just one side because people will ask about it and you'll be able to tell the story).

These weird stories are the fun ones to remember and talk about! Tell me it isn't more interesting already than a "Yeah, this is the buck I shot that I was hunting for 2 years" :)