VFL

Need help finding a shed!

I’m getting a little ahead of myself by posting here, and I’m hoping I’m not jinxing myself. Here’s the long story...short. 

I’ve been hunting a triple drop tine deer for over a year on public land. He came in tonight at 27 yards, but he only had one side. Contemplating whether or not I wanted to shoot him for a few minutes, I wound up pulling the trigger on my release, heard a loud crack and thought I went through the shoulder. He sprinted about 75 yards, stopped in the middle of a field for 30 minutes and walked off hunched over. My heart sank. I waited about 45 minutes after I lost sight of him, looked at the arrow and confirmed that fact that I hit him back then completely backed out (I’m assuming I clipped a branch and had my arrow deflected). 

I already have lined up a dog tracker to help me out at first light and I’m very hopeful in the recovery, but mad at myself for not doing a great deer justice by making a better shot on him. 

If/When I find this deer, I really would like to look for his other side. Does anyone have a shed dog that they’d be willing to help with this search if need be? The location is near Somerset. 

• Like 1

Good Luck finding the deer and the shed. If I lived closer I would help. I have a strange knack for finding things.

• Like 1

Good luck finding him . You did the right thing by backing out . 

• Like 1

Best of luck, I would like to help but I'm back at work tomorrow 

• Like 1

Good luck.. hope you find him quickly in the morning. 

• Like 1

Good luck finding him.. I know@kanigie was trying to train his dog to look for sheds maybe he can help. Otherwise I have a friend in KY who breeds shed dogs, not that that helps the short term situation but just wanted to pass that info on since it’s relevant to the post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dynamicduojx said:

Good luck finding him.. I know@kanigie was trying to train his dog to look for sheds maybe he can help. Otherwise I have a friend in KY who breeds shed dogs, not that that helps the short term situation but just wanted to pass that info on since it’s relevant to the post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! Hopefully he sees this post and can help me out..

• Like 1

Good luck in the recovery.  As for the other antler, i would go right back to where that buck came from and bedded.  Grid search slowly and i would bet its in that area

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Good luck in the recovery.  As for the other antler, i would go right back to where that buck came from and bedded.  Grid search slowly and i would bet its in that area

That was my plan...hopefully I get lucky with both recoveries. 

Best of luck with both searches.  Hope you find the buck straight away this morning.  

If you can't find the shed here's a way to make an antler from scratch.   It took a while but it was a fun.

Edited by Rusty
  • Like 1

Sucks cause it was so warm all night but that may help the dog for scent. Hopefully he went 100-125 yards and bedded down for the last time. Good Luck

• Like 1