IGNORED

YOUR FAVORITE DOG

Live to Hunt

22 hours ago, kanigie said:

@Readington hunter @JHbowhunter

Good looking dogs, how old?

Mako is 4. I see yours is 1  - another close resemblance.   Does your dog eat anything and everything especially things a dog should never eat?   Mako is just starting to outgrow that phase. The things that dog has passed - oh my!

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

39 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Mako is 4. I see yours is 1  - another close resemblance.   Does your dog eat anything and everything especially things a dog should never eat?   Mako is just starting to outgrow that phase. The things that dog has passed - oh my!

At 4 he's starting to outgrow that phase?!?! Can't wait.

A pillow this morning.

Anything in his crate, sheetrock, the septic cover, an electrical outlet cover (mounted on the wall) remote controls, countless socks and sandals, etc, etc. 

pillow.jpg

Edited by kanigie

If they are being destructive, there is probably a few things going on here.  1-They need to simply burn some energy off.  2-Then they need a focused way to release some of the energy and work their minds.  3-Then you need to be on constant overwatch.  The dog will wear a training collar and leash at all times when you are home.  E-Collars are the new thing in this world, because low level correction can be given from anywhere.   Any time you see their attention shift to an object they are not to touch, a correction is given.  

There could be some separation anxiety issues going on at the heart of it as well.  This is based on the way you interact with the animal in the first place.  That is a whole other issue to tackle.     Many dogs present these negative behaviors at some point in time.  They are usually pretty easy to correct as long as the owner is on board. 

PM me if you guys have any other questions

don't have a favorite breed have had two that where special over the years as a boy we had a French poodle that was  given to us because the owner was tired of him tearing his clothes out and shitting in the drawer when he was gone :rofl:  yeah I know but   never did that with us LOL he was special we soon learned he preferred staying outside only wanted to come in on those real cold and hot days  and to eat  :shakehead: and he had a nose for finding deer :)  and I lost my white lab taffy in 2000 and haven't had the heart to get another.

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

If they are being destructive, there is probably a few things going on here.  1-They need to simply burn some energy off.  2-Then they need a focused way to release some of the energy and work their minds.  3-Then you need to be on constant overwatch.  The dog will wear a training collar and leash at all times when you are home.  E-Collars are the new thing in this world, because low level correction can be given from anywhere.   Any time you see their attention shift to an object they are not to touch, a correction is given.  

There could be some separation anxiety issues going on at the heart of it as well.  This is based on the way you interact with the animal in the first place.  That is a whole other issue to tackle.     Many dogs present these negative behaviors at some point in time.  They are usually pretty easy to correct as long as the owner is on board. 

PM me if you guys have any other questions

I have had dogs my entire life.  Labs are just different.  Love them and hate them at times...   They are not for everyone but Mako is my evil/wonderful shadow. Dumber than dirt at times, smarter than Einstein at times.   This is my first lab. Had a golden before - completely different personalities. Both loyal - goldens are more obedient by nature, labs do require more training for sure. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

14 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I have had dogs my entire life.  Labs are just different.  Love them and hate them at times...   They are not for everyone but Mako is my evil/wonderful shadow. Dumber than dirt at times, smarter than Einstein at times.   This is my first lab. Had a golden before - completely different personalities. Both loyal - goldens are more obedient by nature, labs do require more training for sure. 

I agree about labs. 

If Mako comes from working lines, then he needs to be worked daily.  Working dogs require a job or task to complete.  Working dogs and sporting dogs have been bred to do a job and when they aren't exercised and challenged daily, bad behaviors come out.  Sure playing fetch may tire them out a little bit, but they require structured walks, daily obedience work, task completion, etc to be mentally fulfilled or they go nuts.    

Edited by not on the rug

33 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

I agree about labs. 

If Mako comes from working lines, then he needs to be worked daily.  Working dogs require a job or task to complete.  Working dogs and sporting dogs have been bred to do a job and when they aren't exercised and challenged daily, bad behaviors come out.  Sure playing fetch may tire them out a little bit, but they require structured walks, daily obedience work, task completion, etc to be mentally fulfilled or they go nuts.    

Mako is bred for extreme sporting/duck hunting, not to be a family pet. I knew that going into it. .  His intensity and obsession with all things swimming and water is off the charts. His anxiety when riding in the jeep is unbearable, because he associates car rides with swimming and retrieving. He is always calm on ride home. When pool is open he is getting nearly a daily workout and is calm and relaxed afterword.  It was a bit selfish of me to take him knowing that I don't really hunt waterfowl due to my obsession with Bow Hunting, but I also wanted a water dog and retriever to play with and a good loyal pet.  If not for his super intensity and high anxiety in car, he would be perfect. 

I shot a big 10pt once….

27 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Mako is bred for extreme sporting/duck hunting, not to be a family pet. I knew that going into it. .  His intensity and obsession with all things swimming and water is off the charts. His anxiety when riding in the jeep is unbearable, because he associates car rides with swimming and retrieving. He is always calm on ride home. When pool is open he is getting nearly a daily workout and is calm and relaxed afterword.  It was a bit selfish of me to take him knowing that I don't really hunt waterfowl due to my obsession with Bow Hunting, but I also wanted a water dog and retriever to play with and a good loyal pet.  If not for his super intensity and high anxiety in car, he would be perfect. 

It happens.

That's why some quality breeders …. after speaking with you at length …. choose which pup you get out of a litter, and don't let the buyer choose. The breeder sees the pups' personalities on a daily basis, and wants a good fit at the home. They really know what they're doing.

Each well-bred pup can have the intelligence, instinct, and drive to excel in the field … but, with differing intensities.

Anyway, Mako seems like a GREAT dog.

39 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Funny you say that...the dog I have now is exactly the same way.  He came from North Carolina and I adopted him when he was only 8 weeks old.  He looked very much like a rottie/lab mix and I was in the market for a 2nd dog so I snagged him.  Well...He's definitely a sporting lab, but I'm not sure what he is mixed with besides that. He looks somewhat like a rottie, but I'm guessing it's some sort of scent hound that he was mixed with.  He is obsessed with fetching (something that was instinctual and he first demonstrated at only 4 months old. I never taught him to fetch at all.)  If I throw the ball and he doesn't see it land, he will scan the area in a grid-like pattern, sniffing/snorting so hard he sounds like a pig in order to pick up the scent of the ball.  I never taught him that either.  

He loves to swim and is obsessed with water.  He is super high energy (even though he is almost 8).  He is super high energy in a truck or on the leash.  He is stubborn and hard headed about learning everything.  He is basically the opposite of my preferred dog temperment and abilities (Rotties, GSDs, Belgian Mals, etc).

Owning him has been a leaning experience for sure .  It made me a better dog trainer though, and a more patient human being.  That's for sure

33 minutes ago, Jim_ said:

It happens.

That's why some quality breeders …. after speaking with you at length …. choose which pup you get out of a litter, and don't let the buyer choose. The breeder sees the pups' personalities on a daily basis, and wants a good fit at the home. They really know what they're doing.

Each well-bred pup can have the intelligence, instinct, and drive to excel in the field … but, with differing intensities.

Anyway, Mako seems like a GREAT dog.

He was the last of litter so every other pup got picked ahead of him, and Wayne posted this pic on NJH of him with his purple neck band and I made the two hour run south. Had to have him! LOL   I also think I took him too early at 6 weeks, which may lead to his car anxiety because he had high anxiety on long ride home as a puppy and it never went away.  My son could not let go of him.  That last pic you can just see the devil in his eye and what lied ahead!

IMG_0727.PNG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….