IGNORED

YOUR FAVORITE DOG

Live to Hunt

Does anyone's lab "just have to " grab something he's not supposed to (like dish towel or a shoe) when company enters the house?  Mako still does at age 4, wants you to chase him to get it back. No discipline or scolding has ever worked - you can smack him with that dish towel and yell "no" but next time, he will do it again.  4 years - no results.  At least now with more regular guests he doesn't as much though. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

2 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

Does anyone's lab "just have to " grab something he's not supposed to (like dish towel or a shoe) when company enters the house?  Mako still does at age 4, wants you to chase him to get it back. No discipline or scolding has ever worked - you can smack him with that dish towel and yell "no" but next time, he will do it again.  4 years - no results.  At least now with more regular guests he doesn't as much though. 

Mako told my GSP that it's hilarious how every time company comes over and he grabs something you start chasing him around with a dish towel.

Said its taken him about 4 years to train you ! :laughing:

Edited by RPK0620

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Our in-ground fence wire goes right up close to the street in front of the house. So, she sits there, waiting for people to walk by, and with a whipping motion of her head, she rolls a ball to the passersby out onto the street, so they can throw it for her to retrieve. And, she'll do it as long as they stay. It cracks strangers up.

Retrieving is what she lives for. lol.  And, she's smarter than I am.   Dang …. I love dogs!

jane3-1-1.jpg

Funny you say that...the dog I have now is exactly the same way.  He came from North Carolina and I adopted him when he was only 8 weeks old.  He looked very much like a rottie/lab mix and I was in the market for a 2nd dog so I snagged him.  Well...He's definitely a sporting lab, but I'm not sure what he is mixed with besides that. He looks somewhat like a rottie, but I'm guessing it's some sort of scent hound that he was mixed with.  He is obsessed with fetching (something that was instinctual and he first demonstrated at only 4 months old. I never taught him to fetch at all.)  If I throw the ball and he doesn't see it land, he will scan the area in a grid-like pattern, sniffing/snorting so hard he sounds like a pig in order to pick up the scent of the ball.  I never taught him that either.  
He loves to swim and is obsessed with water.  He is super high energy (even though he is almost 8).  He is super high energy in a truck or on the leash.  He is stubborn and hard headed about learning everything.  He is basically the opposite of my preferred dog temperment and abilities (Rotties, GSDs, Belgian Mals, etc).
Owning him has been a leaning experience for sure .  It made me a better dog trainer though, and a more patient human being.  That's for sure

Sounds like he could be mixed with a chesapeake bay retriever from looks and traits he displays. Very smart yet very stubborn “ my way” dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWM

On 8/2/2018 at 8:34 AM, JHbowhunter said:

I would swear that's my Mako....   Did you get from Wayne Wright?   Long nose and long legs...  Look at resemblance. 

D63B0A2B-3D8F-4777-8563-B660174C5802.jpeg

9623EB06-B9FD-44AB-BFA2-985ED4D1ECCC.jpeg

Good call Jack, same parents as Mako. Casey is 2 years old now and Is an incredible dog.  She is from the Jimmy xIndy litter few years after Mako. Wayne is the man with labs, couldn’t have gotten a better breeder. 

On 8/3/2018 at 12:59 PM, Jim_ said:

It happens.

That's why some quality breeders …. after speaking with you at length …. choose which pup you get out of a litter, and don't let the buyer choose. The breeder sees the pups' personalities on a daily basis, and wants a good fit at the home. They really know what they're doing.

Each well-bred pup can have the intelligence, instinct, and drive to excel in the field … but, with differing intensities.

Anyway, Mako seems like a GREAT dog.

100% on the money. We had pick of the litter and I figured I would pick the dog I wanted, but after talking to Wayne he likes to place the dog based on what kind of dog your looking for.  Makes complete sense, there with them from day one.