IGNORED

Thermacell--Earth Scent replacement pads ?

LPJR

Absolutely love EVERYTHING about the Thermacell, especially for this part of the season. Never had a deer react negatively to the scent even though it was cranking at less than 20 yards away, mature bucks included. Recently I needed to replace the pads as I ran out. Only ones I could find were the "earth scent" replacement pads and bought them as I was in a pinch. Managed to locate one of the original pads with the "eucalyptus" scent so never tried the earth scent ones yet.

Has anyone tried the earth scent pads, and had similar reactions (hopefully zero) with them?  

Edited by LPJR

I have and haven't noticed deer react to it..  for what its worth the fall is the only time I use earth scent any thing any more..  I noticed in winter the deer would wind me when using..  my theory is that fall is when leaves and things are falling starting to decay and thus giving threat earth smell..  maybe it's just me but it makes sense

4 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

I have used the earth scent in NJ for deer and ME  for bear without  a problem.  I would not hesitate to use them.  Just my opinion I think they have a more natural scent  then to original pads.  

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. 

I'm using earth scent now for the first time.   No difference that I could tell so far.  Did have deer snorting a couple times in the same spot one morning about 100yds away.  The air was dead still.  Smoke from the thermacell seemed to drift a little in the opposite direction, so I'm not sure what they were blowing at.  Whatever it was they were smelling, they weren't too sure of it, and blew a number of times each time.  I could have stunk up that entire swamp with how still the air was.  I was on the ground.  Being in a tree makes a difference with the hot scent rising.

Edited by Greybeard

I use the earth scent exclusively with the thinking being, there’s more chance a deer will be comfortable with the scent of the earth (regardless of time of season, dirt is dirt!😁) then they would eucalyptus, or whatever the original ones are scented with, which I don’t think we have around here if I’m not mistaken. 

But it doesn’t really matter, and I’ll explain why.  I’ve been using Thermacell for years, but I still can’t say definitively whether the smell of the Thermacell spooks them or not, and here’s why. Let’s say in ideal circumstances the wind is in your favor relative to the deer’s position, in that case it shouldn’t matter if the thing smelled like Limburger cheese, they wont smell it, but if the situation is such that a Deer gets downwind of you, or the wind shifts on you, how can you know for sure if the deer is smelling you, or the Thermacell? 

And don’t give me this crap about “i take three showers, spray down with the  latest invisible hunter spray, wash and hang every piece of gear i have on the clothesline outside for 6 months before the season, etc!  

If the wind is wrong you’re getting busted, if you don’t, then the wind is not taking the scent direvtly  to the deer’s nose. 

So, that being said, it then brings me to the point that I don’t care if the deer react to the Thermacell, because  if the wind is wrong,  and it reaches the deer’s nose, either your scent, or the scent of the Thermacell, will spook them, so it doesn’t really matter. 

Just my take on concerning yourself with the Thermacell spooking game. 

31 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I use the earth scent exclusively with the thinking being, there’s more chance a deer will be comfortable with the scent of the earth (regardless of time of season, dirt is dirt!😁) then they would eucalyptus, or whatever the original ones are scented with, which I don’t think we have around here if I’m not mistaken. 

But it doesn’t really matter, and I’ll explain why.  I’ve been using Thermacell for years, but I still can’t say definitively whether the smell of the Thermacell spooks them or not, and here’s why. Let’s say in ideal circumstances the wind is in your favor relative to the deer’s position, in that case it shouldn’t matter if the thing smelled like Limburger cheese, they wont smell it, but if the situation is such that a Deer gets downwind of you, or the wind shifts on you, how can you know for sure if the deer is smelling you, or the Thermacell? 

And don’t give me this crap about “i take three showers, spray down with the  latest invisible hunter spray, wash and hang every piece of gear i have on the clothesline outside for 6 months before the season, etc!  

If the wind is wrong you’re getting busted, if you don’t, then the wind is not taking the scent direvtly  to the deer’s nose. 

So, that being said, it then brings me to the point that I don’t care if the deer react to the Thermacell, because  if the wind is wrong,  and it reaches the deer’s nose, either your scent, or the scent of the Thermacell, will spook them, so it doesn’t really matter. 

Just my take on concerning yourself with the Thermacell spooking game. 

and to your point, the more I think about it, I would rather a deer be spooked by the thermocell than my stank - they know I am the predator.

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I have been using Thermocell both blue and earth scent for years. I have said many times, " I don't know how I ever turkey hunted with out it. "  I concur with all that it does't spook deer.

The only issue I have with it is it doesn't work as well when walking. Whether "running and gunning" for turkeys or summer scouting I still get insects buzzing around my ears if walking at a good clip. When you are sitting in one place it creates a cloud around you.

Also once I had it on my fishing vest when I fell in the river. It went out and wouldn't light again, but after drying out for a few days it worked fine again.

With regard to using it while fishing be careful disposing the pads. The label says it is toxic to fish. I doubt if one pad would be enough to damage a fishery, but why take the chance.

In addition to the earth scent I would like to see buck lure pads or better yet bear attractant  pads (licorice etc.). I think I may have seen buck lure pads already, but don't recall where.

Edited by 230jhp