IGNORED

Freshwater Fishing?

OldPiney Woods

Nobody freshwater fishing in NJ? Everybody too busy hunting?Where are the trout pictures from the North Jersey trout streams? I can’t seem to bring myself to make the trip to North Jersey from Burlington County anymore. It was too nice a day not to fish. So I did some slumming closer to home. Hit the D&R Canal in Princeton. Got 9 pickerel and one bass. They were not interested in any hard or soft plastics. Only old time spoons in red and white daredevil and firetiger. Nothing big but here at least are some pictures.

IMG_7631.jpeg

IMG_7626.jpeg

IMG_7623.jpeg

IMG_7634.jpeg

Edited by OldPiney Woods

32 minutes ago, jumpthestring said:

Been hitting the Paulinski'll and the Flat Brook on the weekends.  got one and only seen 2 caught. the stocking of fall trout this year. is awful. i crushed them last year, this year its Seem's they didn't throw many in.  

They stocked the same numbers. Water is higher this year so the fish are spread out. Pequest trout numbers are typically within 1-2% of previous years, year after year. 

3 hours ago, jumpthestring said:

Been hitting the Paulinski'll and the Flat Brook on the weekends.  got one and only seen 2 caught. the stocking of fall trout this year. is awful. i crushed them last year, this year its Seem's they didn't throw many in.  

I hit the Paulinskill last weekend with a buddy in the obvious spots over a few miles and didn’t get a nibble. Until we hit the last spot and we got 3 in 5 mins. All decent size.   The day they stocked though it looked like opening day all Along the river. Maybe a lot were kept already.  

Awesome congrats👍 👍

Any fishing is good fishing. Last year my son and I researched how to debone pickerel for consumption. After viewing some YouTube videos. We caught 2 x-large sized pickerel during the only 2 days of safe icefishing we had nearby. Turned out to be some of the best fried fish fingers we ever had. I wouldn’t recommend this with smaller sized pickerel. 
Jumbo pickerels better beware going forward from now on 😋 

Fish in pic hit the orange depth weight on the way down. Took the line out of my hands. Freshwater is waaaayyyyy more exciting on the ice!!!! 

IMG_0078.jpeg

Edited by CapeCod

I'm going tomorrow... it's too hot to hunt. It was waterfowl week, too, down here in the south... only got out a couple times but didn't see many birds. Was going to go out for ducks tomorrow but it's going to be 60 degrees at first light, 70 by 10am... with blue skies. That is NOT waterfowl weather -- it's fishing weather! :)

Kinda sucks this warm weather. Need it to get cold. Haven't deer hunted a single time this fall season, and permit season starts tomorrow already.