IGNORED

Fixed blades are better than mechanicals

JHbowhunter

So let me ask a bit of advice, especially to the tall guys: as a left eye dominant right hander I want to shoot the compound rightie. It's what I do with a gun, and somehow I learned to compensate with good results.  But it's hard simply to borrow correctly sized bows to figure out how to move on and deal with the eye issue, and I don't want to wear an eye patch in the woods. I don't have the money to play around at buying two bows, and I'm hesitant to try to be a freeloader at the shop or range. 
How do the "wrong eye-dominant" archers out there resolve this? Learn to shoot leftie? 
Learn to shoot lefty 100% worked for me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

I shot that buck a bunch of years ago the first week of the season .

2” freak nasty .

watched him go almost 150 yards in the woodlot waiting for him to fall .

waited a half hour , Ray Charles could have followed the blood . Light bubbles in the blood .

didn’t find him , then hung up my bow and looked for him for 2 weeks knowing my shot was where I wanted it .

two weeks later I got a glimpse of him crossing a neighbors field , and then a few days later that trail cam pic .

I hunted him hard and shot him in the late season . Putting an arrow right through just about the same hole .

I skinned him out in the barn without touching him in the field as I needed to know what happened .

I had shot the top inch of the  near side lung and a little lower on the off side 

‘That lung tops were black and hard where the wound had hit him 

while many guys will say it’s anatomically impossible i do believe in mature deer the membrane that helps hold the lungs in place isn’t the same as it is in younger deer .

young deer you just about have to rip the lungs from their chest walls . Mature deer don’t have that same attachement .
seen many the lungs were just laying inside when dressing the deer .

I think in those deer while you should be mid lung , that between breaths those lungs compressed allow a higher shot in the lungs to not do enough damage to them to put a deer down .

it was a high lung shot , but wasn’t lethal that day .

2F1CBAEF-102C-493A-8297-E9A24CEE65D9.jpeg

Smile Hammer!

9 hours ago, JFC1 said:

So let me ask a bit of advice, especially to the tall guys: as a left eye dominant right hander I want to shoot the compound rightie. It's what I do with a gun, and somehow I learned to compensate with good results.  But it's hard simply to borrow correctly sized bows to figure out how to move on and deal with the eye issue, and I don't want to wear an eye patch in the woods. I don't have the money to play around at buying two bows, and I'm hesitant to try to be a freeloader at the shop or range. 

How do the "wrong eye-dominant" archers out there resolve this? Learn to shoot leftie? 

I’m personally not in that category, but the old lady is. She just closes her left eye. Which I do anyway. At that point she was already shooting and did not want to learn to shoot the other way, if your just starting out, might be worth it to learn to shoot with the dominant eye from the jump.

Your dominant eye is just the one you your body prefers to shoot out of, and most likely (not always) see better out of.  It doesn’t mean you can’t shoot with your non dominant eye. I shoot firearms with my non dominant eye on the regular just for training purposes. 

Edited by Jcol6268

To each their own. I don’t think you can go wrong when whitetail hunting. Me personally, after this year I’ll be sticking with fixed blades. I had a quartering away shot at less than 20 yards with my 60 lb Bowtech Insanity. I was using a Rage (which I have shot on and off since they came out and never once a problem, about 15 deer with them). I got zero penetration and my Easton FMJ broke at the insert. I hit a rib. 

I personally feel like if I was shooting one of my fixed two blades, that I would have had a dead deer that day. I later shot that same buck at 15 yards with a Montec, but it was a perfect shot. 

The idea behind heavy arrows and fixed blades isn’t that you need it. It’s when you have those crappy shots, that you wish you could have back, that maybe you still make a lethal shot. To each their own. 

I enjoy shooting different heads and shoot both fixed and mechanicals. A few things that I have noticed over the years. 
- deer shot with a sharp fixed blade, don’t run as far. It’s common in my experience that a deer shot with a sharp fixed blade will run 20 yards, stop, look around like what just happened, where is the danger? And then get wobbly and fall over. Deer shot with mechanicals know they’ve been hit and run til they die (which because of the increased hemorrhaging isn’t long) 

-even super sharp fixed blades have crappy blood trails (insert your photos here of awesome fixed blade blood trails, yeah yeah I know, I’ve seen them). No matter what fixed head I get, no matter how sharp I get it (and I know sharp), the blood trails are average at best, and take longer to start bleeding then a pass through with a mechanical

- pass throughs, they happen more often with fixed blades, and I like an animal bleeding from two sides.  Mechanicals give a great blood trail regardless of pass through or not, but a good portion of them compared to fixed, get caught on something or slow down enough to prevent a pass through.  It’s rare, short of shooting a bone, that I haven’t gotten a pass through with fixed blades. (All my bows are 60 or 70 lb limbs)  

These are just some of my observations, over the years, on the deer that I have personally taken with my bow. Someone else may have different experiences but I tailor my needs off of my experiences.  While I am no where near as experienced as some of the guys here, I do have my fair share of being able to bow hunt some awesome areas and I just love shooting deer with the stick and string. While most of my attention this year will spent on Iowa, I would really like to get enough practice in with my Ol Bear Alaskan recurve, and take a deer with that.