IGNORED

Fixed blades are better than mechanicals

JHbowhunter

7 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

@archer36 you may punch through it but you are well above vitals and deer will live if hit.

I didn't say if the deer would live or not. How are you so sure? If you are shooting down on an angle, you can catch the opposite lung. If shooting out of a ground blind, maybe miss all vitals. All shots are not the same and have different results. The arrow can also deflect up and hit the spine if shot from level ground blind. Also the deer's posture matters. Is it with head down to the ground or straight up. That moves the position of the sacpula a lot. A lot can happen. Not saying it's an ideal shot but by no means predictable. 

Edited by archer36

3 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I didn't say if the deer would live or not. How are you so sure? If you are shooting down on an angle, you can catch the opposite lung. If shooting out of a ground blind, maybe miss all vitals. All shots are not the same and have different results. The arrow can also deflect up and hit the spine if shot from level ground blind. A lot can happen. Not saying it's an ideal shot but by no means predictable. 

The shot shown on both deer are above the spine as it starts to dip in that general  that general location

Edited by vdep217

2 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

The shot shown on both deer are above the spine as it dips hard in that location

You are looking at the deer in the picture. The deer's posture/position at the time of the shot may have been completely different. Head up/head down moves the position of the scapula a lot. 

Edited by archer36

2 minutes ago, archer36 said:

You are looking at the deer in the picture. The deer's posture/position at the time of the shot may have been completely different. 

The location of the shots us commonly referred to as no man's land the myth of below the spine but above the vitals.  It is in fact above the spine.  Any penatration below spine will contact vitals

Edited by vdep217

4 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

The location of the shots us commonly referred to as no man's land the myth of below the spine but above the vitals.  It is in fact above vitals.

Is this shot above the vitals ?

entrance hole from 18’ up at 20 yards 

8497103B-E89B-4303-9126-1C886E156834.jpeg

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Worried about broadheads when you haven't even shot a deer with a real bow yet. lol

So let me ask a bit of advice, especially to the tall guys: as a left eye dominant right hander I want to shoot the compound rightie. It's what I do with a gun, and somehow I learned to compensate with good results.  But it's hard simply to borrow correctly sized bows to figure out how to move on and deal with the eye issue, and I don't want to wear an eye patch in the woods. I don't have the money to play around at buying two bows, and I'm hesitant to try to be a freeloader at the shop or range. 

How do the "wrong eye-dominant" archers out there resolve this? Learn to shoot leftie? 

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

Is this shot above the vitals ?

entrance hole from 18’ up at 20 yards 

8497103B-E89B-4303-9126-1C886E156834.jpeg

Hard quartering? If not it has me stumped.  My guess would be it rode the rib cage not penatrating loging near shoulder.  Cuz if broad side should be dead deer

18 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

The location of the shots us commonly referred to as no man's land the myth of below the spine but above the vitals.  It is in fact above the spine.  Any penetration below spine will contact vitals

Once again, you are making too many assumptions. You don't know the position of the deer at the shot. You don't know the angle of the shot. You don't know the deflection of the arrow. To say with 100% assurance is not realistic. Let's leave it at that. I say it can go in a few directions, you claim 100% it's not lethal. Whatever. :happywave:

Edited by archer36

7 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

So let me ask a bit of advice, especially to the tall guys: as a left eye dominant right hander I want to shoot the compound rightie. It's what I do with a gun, and somehow I learned to compensate with good results.  But it's hard simply to borrow correctly sized bows to figure out how to move on and deal with the eye issue, and I don't want to wear an eye patch in the woods. I don't have the money to play around at buying two bows, and I'm hesitant to try to be a freeloader at the shop or range. 

How do the "wrong eye-dominant" archers out there resolve this? Learn to shoot leftie? 

Shoot with your dominate eye that side , and shoot left handed .

im left handed and right eye dominate . I shoot right handed and think because I’m holding the bow with my strong arm is what made me the shooter I was . 

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

3 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Hard quartering? If not it has me stumped.  My guess would be it rode the rib cage not penatrating loging near shoulder.  Cuz if broad side should be dead deer

3 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Complete pass through .

deer was quartering away slightly . Exit was about an inch lower and forward on the off side .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

Complete pass through .

deer was quartering away slightly . Exit was about an inch lower and forward on the off side .

Than deer should have been dead.  Did broad head not open?  Still would find it hard to believe he lived.  What was your thoughts